Bryan Robinson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryan Robinson

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
This is a guy who started 13 games this year at defensive tackle and while his numbers were far from impressive (41 tackles, 0 sacks)....I think he did a nice job stuffing the run inside and was a good fill-in at the position considering that the guy as a late pick-up, didn't know the system, and played defensive end for the better part of his career. The truth is, he doesn't have ideal pass-rushing ability for the 4-3 defensive end position (career high of 5 sacks) or the top notch run-stuffing ability to play full-time defensive tackle in that scheme. He is best suited to play 3-4 Defensive End where he goes from beeing a 'tweener to a 6-4 296 lineman who can play the run as well as a tackle and rush the passer. Now I am not assuming that Saban/Grantham are going to chance our scheme into a 3-4 entirely but I expect that we will see a lot more twists and turns and with that will come multiple looks and certainly several 3-4 variations. I think Robinson can be very valuable in this kind of role and that idea as well as his ability to be a good rotation defensive lineman who can play multiple spots makes him a player that should be an imporant re-sign and an underrated player on this defense next year.

Miami's run defense was horrible. He was also cut from the Bears. I hope we keep him only if he plays fro the minimum so he can be a rotate guy

Resigning him is a good idea but changing to the 3-4 IS NOT...

How many threads do we need to realize we don't have the personal to switch.

Robinson could be a decent 3-4 end but, where do we get at least two more of them? 290-300 pound defensive ends do not grow on trees.

Where are we going to get a nose tackle...or two. Chester might be a compitant nose man but Tim Bo would'nt hold up in my opinion.

Our inside linebackers might be too small to play the 3-4. I think Zach would be o.k. but we'd need more size.

That is not even discussing the outside linebackers. We do not have ANY on the current roster who could play the 3-4. That would mean a total emphasis on the outside linebacker position in the draft and free agency. NOT our biggest need right now but it sure would turn into our biggest need if we went to the 3-4.

And before anyone says "Jason Taylor could play outside linebacker in the 3-4"....WHY THE HELL would we take the best defensive end in the NFL and make him learn a new position at age 30? Does anyone here actually think it would be a good idea to have our best pass rusher have to occasionaly drop into coverage?

I think he would fill the role Zgonina played while probably being cheaper and I believe younger.

Unified theory..

Hey man, why don't you go back...re-read my post and then tell me what is wrong with your response. When did I suggest switching to the 3-4? In fact, I specifically said that this will NOT happen but with a head coach who loves to use different looks and keep offenses off guard, I think AT TIMES the 3-4 will be implemented into our defense with JT dropping to the OLB position, Robinson playing one end spot, Chester at the nose etc etc. We do NOT have the personnel for a full-time 3-4 defense NOR do I think that we should move Taylor at this point in the career..however, I think that throwing the 3-4 in there on OCCASION would work quite nicely assuming we bring in another big defensive tackle and playmaking linebacker which we need to do anyway. Understand? Thank you.

We actually DO have the personnel for a 3-4 if we put Robinson and Zgonina at DE, Chester at NT, and JT at OLB. Seau would make a great ILB alongside Zach if he'd agree to a pay cut. The only remaining pice to the puzzle would be the other OLB. The other guys on our roster are too undersized to be OLBs in a 3-4.

Didnt you see Robinson get pushed around enough this year? He cant play the run as a DT and isnt a penatrating lineman. He might get resigned as a backup but Zgonina is very good as the 3rd DT in a rotation. If a young DT is drafted you can say goodbye to Robinson.

I wish people would drop the 3-4 talk. It's not gonna happen.

If Bowens retires then I say keep Robinson. If not then cut him loose. We've gotta keep Zgonina because he's a great pass rusher from DT on passing downs.

Back
Top Bottom