Bucky Brooks names Jerome Baker one of NFL's most underrated talents | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bucky Brooks names Jerome Baker one of NFL's most underrated talents

317 tackles and 11.5 sacks in his first three years. He is 24 and only 28M G in his new deal. I don't have a single issue with his contract or his play. I also expect even more out of him over the next few years.

I posted that in less than 18 months we are going to laugh at how cheap this extension is.
I'm at a point where I don't even take that year with the Gase/Burke clown show into account. Neither knew what the hell they were doing on that side of the ball, let alone how to coach up a young player.

What a clusterbang..........

Really liked the kid from day 1. Excellent athlete. Class guy. Focused. Dedicated. Team player.

I think Flo liked him a lot right away as well. Pretty obvious he has a close relationship with "Bake."

That's fair, but let me ask you this. Would it be easier to replace Baker's skill set, and role in this scheme, or McKinney's? I would say the latter, and it isn't close.
Baker, to me, is more of a LB/box safety hybrid. I believe our staff paid him because his skill set is hard to replace and valuable to our scheme. The hope is that he improves in coverage (he was used more as a spy/blitzer on passing downs in 2020) and takes the next step to an elite player. I’d also like to see him improve angles and such vs the run, but I think his size does limit him a bit as a run stuffer.

Same people crying we didn't draft a rb in the first 3 picks, see a difference? lol
Different strokes as they say.

I can understand the argument for drafting a RB early. I don't have a problem that they didn't, but I understand the thinking. I wouldn't have had a problem if they had gone RB on day 2 either.

Either way, it has nothing to do with my opinion on MG. He is not elite, but he is a better all around back than he gets credit for. He's fine in a RBBC situation, which Flo is obviously OK with for this year.

Different strokes as they say.

I can understand the argument for drafting a RB early. I don't have a problem that they didn't, but I understand the thinking. I wouldn't have had a problem if they had gone RB on day 2 either.

Either way, it has nothing to do with my opinion on MG. He is not elite, but he is a better all around back than he gets credit for. He's fine in a RBBC situation, which Flo is obviously OK with for this year.
About 7 rb rushed over 1k yards. Henry, not to take credit away from him but he is in one the worst divisions for running game defense. Out of that 7 none of those teams they rushed for went to the sb if i'm not mistaken. Neither the chiefs nor the bucs put crazy rushing stats at all. The packers's running game may be an exception but that didn't help them beat the bucs.

I agree. Bake is a key component in this defense.

Many have been bitching about him, saying he isn't a "scheme fit", he can't do this, can't do that, etc for two years now. LMAO.

IMO, Baker is an almost perfect fit. We aren't asking him to be thumper Mike. Does that even exist in todays game outside of a handful of old school holdout DCs?

I thought the contract was fair to both sides. He's dependable. He has gotten better every year since drafted. He has great range. He is a good open area tackler. He seems like a team first guy.

Really....what's not to like?
What’s not to like you ask? Nothing. He can play the run, he can rush the passer, he can cover, he’s made a pick 6. But I guess he’s not a scheme fit lol. Quick, trade him now with X for future draft picks. Sell high baby!!!!

I like Baker, but think he needs to step up another notch to repay the contract. He is good, not yet great. Hoping that the great bit will come.

I like Baker, but think he needs to step up another notch to repay the contract. He is good, not yet great. Hoping that the great bit will come.
The contract is fine. Could you replace him for less on the open market?

I doubt it.

Obviously Flo and Grier think he's worth his contract. No, Baker isn't a flawless LB, but VERY few are. He's not overpaid for what he does.

Back
Top Bottom