Build through the Draft or Bid in Free Agency? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Build through the Draft or Bid in Free Agency?

CMD

You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
What would you rather see? Honestly I always thought going through the Draft was always the way to go. A team like the Packers have done very well in drafts.

The draft is the way to go.

That's what I'd like to see aswell, I'd hate to turn into a team like the Redskins. They have just ruined their franchise the past 10 years in Free Agency.

What would you rather see? Honestly I always thought going through the Draft was always the way to go. A team like the Packers have done very well in drafts.

I think it's both. I think you need to try to keep your draft picks and get the young quality talent, but when a quality FA is available that will clearly help your team you have to make a play for him. I don't think it can strictly be one or the other if you ever want to have a complete and talented winning team.

you need both. You need to make smart FA signings to fill holes but get your core via the draft. That's how the Pats won a couple Super Bowls. Guys like Rosevelt Colvin, Rodney Harrison, Tyrone Poole, Corey Dillon, Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, Antowain Smith, Mike Vrabel, Roman Phifer, Larry Izzo, and Bryan Cox were all FA pickups by the Pats to go along with a core of Brady, Seymoure, Bruschi, Law, Branch, Graham ect.

You just have to be smart with both. The Redskins splurge every offseason on FA and don't get any results. The Steelers don't sign big time Free Agents, but they make the right FA signings (big name being Ryan Clark)

Look at the last Super Bowl, the Packers and the Steelers, both teams were built via the draft. With free agency you always end up overpaying for a guy because you are competing against 31 other teams for his services. With rookie contracts, you get a guy that is signed cheap for 4 years.

You build your core team through the draft. Look at the teams that lately are consistenly in the run for the SB. The Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, & Ravens all do it that way year in an year out while filling out the remaining positions of need through smart FA signings. Bringing in cheap talent is how you continuously stay on top and the only way of doing that is through the draft.

The Draft. With that said this regime doesn't know how to draft. so they tred free agency, and again they come up with busts. I'm looking for a new FO can't wait for all these *** clowns to get fired.

This is exactly why you don't trade picks and pay through the nose for a mediocre QB like Orton when you already have a perfectly good mediocre QB in Henne, and perfectly good mediocre QB's can be found on the open market for less money and no picks.

I'd like both. Draft picks take a few years to materialize for the most part. Free agents will help you immediately

I think the draft is the way to go. You're getting younger talent that should be working towards their prime while free agency for the most part is either older players that are moving away from their prime or good players who are going to be paid like superstars. Most of the time you don't see those elite players hit free agency. I know Asomugha is out there but 9 out of 10 years that doesn't happen.

I think our front office does a pretty good job drafting. Yeah there have been some misses(Pat White, Patrick Turner) but for the most part we've gotten a really good foundation out of it. Jake Long, Brian Hartline, Bess, Pouncey, Odrick, Langford, Misi, Smith and Davis are all going to be a big part of our future for a long time to come. Compared to free agency where we have consistantly struck out. Really Dansby is the only free agent choice that you could say was a great long term free agency signing.(I don't consider Cam Wake in this category).

draft, if a FA wants to come to Miami great, but dont mortgage the future to lure them over.

Back
Top Bottom