Buoniconti making peace with Citadel memories | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buoniconti making peace with Citadel memories

dolphindan1970

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry if I overlooked this somewhere.Thought it was a touching read about a former player's son,and some of you may enjoy.I know I sure did.

Thompson and other teammates began working to reconnect both sides. Those efforts led to the Citadel's plans to officially retire Buoniconti's No. 59 jersey at a game next season.

Buoniconti plans on attending a parade Friday in honor of Corps Day, the school's birthday celebration, and will be at The Citadel's spring practice Saturday, his first official visit to the campus since the accident.

"While I wasn't sure when," Buoniconti says, "it was always in the back of my mind and in my heart that they would recognize me for the football player I was and the person I am now. To recognize the fact the last steps I walked was playing a game, wearing a uniform of the Citadel."

Buoniconti, then 19, was a 220-pound, hard-hitting linebacker in the mold of his father, former Miami Dolphins and Boston Patriots all-pro linebacker Nick Buoniconti, when his life changed forever on Oct. 26, 1985.

Buoniconti and Thompson rushed in to stop a sweep on third-and-1 when the ballcarrier's body hit Buoniconti's head.

Buoniconti says he instantly knew he was paralyzed.

More here:
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9310018

Back
Top Bottom