Bush/Lane combined for 999 yds, 8TDs. Ireland never tried to replace lost production. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bush/Lane combined for 999 yds, 8TDs. Ireland never tried to replace lost production.

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
Last year I wrote several posts about how I think we should keep Reggie Bush because he is a rare duel-threat weapon an elite weapon that any offense would like to have on their team. He is of the spiller, mcfadden, arian foster, mccoy ilks that u can throw and run with. He was a class act and this team still lacks firepower on offense nobody can say we couldnt use a little reggie bush. But let me get to my point. Last year Bush/Miller/Lane/Thomas combined for 1578 yards and 13 TDS. Reggie and Lane combined for 999 yards and 8tds of that. Lane actually scored twice he was a decent blocker and good short yardage back still dont know why we dont have a fullback. So subtract 999 from 1578 that's only 579 yards between thomas and miller that your banking on can carry the load going into the 2013 season. Now if u wanna believe in miller thats fine, but to not at least supplement that type of production is just stupidity by the front office. Rams are paying now too taking risk with richardson. Unless you have a workhorse back like peterson, lynch, gore, then u better have at least 3 good running backs. To not bring in woodhead, jackie battle, mcgahee idk who some type of back that can move the pile.

If I'm a boss and I lose 95% of my production at a certain position. I got 4 guys on an assembly line and I lose 2 guys that played major roles on my production, I lost 95% of my production and im hoping these two guys with unaddressed oline take shots in the dark with clabo and jerry still blows and my young franchise QB making him throw 40 times again and get brutalized with no YAC WR's with highest drop pct. rate in league can carry this load. Guess what Ireland its not working.

Lane was just used in general as a general fullback we need a fullback my point is ireland completely dismantled this offenses running game. If u strip a young QB and offense of 1,000 yards rushing and 8 touchdowns and u dont even try to supplement that with some type of production woodhead/leach? then your gonna have a drop off in your running game unless u have adrian peterson back there then good luck or if u have peyton manning brees brady u can get away with a committee

I think it was a full systemic failure, that includes Ireland, Philbin and the whole staff.

The GM's job is to fill the team with players that suits the coach's vision for the team. It seems as if Philbin's vision of the team was one devoid of players like Bush, who for whatever reason, rubbed Philbin the wrong way. It is no coincidence that the self appointed "leadership council" were all pushed out at once. You really think that was just Ireland's call?

Ireland gets the lion's share of the blame, but let's not absolve Philbin of personnel decisions over the last 2 years. A GM works hand in hand with the HC, not in a vacuum.

I liked Reggie Bush, and wanted to keep him. Bush & Miller would have been a good combination, since Miller likes to run between the tackles, and Bush likes to run outside.

But Jorvorskie Lane was a problem. He touched the ball 24 times, and fumbled 3 times. That's one fumble for every 8 touches, which is an outrageous ratio.

Well when we got rid of the FBs and used the shotgun formation to try and hide the ****ty line I knew we had issues.

But Jorvorskie Lane

lane was just used in general as a general fullback we need a fullback my point is ireland completely dismantled this offenses running game. If u strip a young QB and offense of 1,000 yards rushing and 8 touchdowns and u dont even try to supplement that with some type of production woodhead/leach? then your gonna have a drop off in your running game unless u have adrian peterson back there then good luck or if u have peyton manning brees brady u can get away with a comittie

lane was just used in general as a general fullback

After Jorvorskie Lane's fumbles, the coaches no longer trusted him with the ball, and tried him out as a blocking FB. But he didn't do that well as a blocking FB. He admitted that he was just still learning that position. And when Lane was on the field, that meant we only had 4 weapons instead of 5 weapons.

We want our 5 best weapons on the field.

WR: Mike Wallace
WR: Brian Hartline
Slot: Brandon Gibson
TE: Charles Clay
RB: Lamar Miller

Given our personnel, FB usage is going to be rare. Anytime we place a FB on the field, we have to remove one of the above weapons.

You might argue that we need an elite FB in goal line situations. But fact is, we're currently #2 in red zone TD percentage, so it's not a huge problem for us right now.

The running game isn't a problem. We just don't use it enough.

Other than one game, we weren't good at running the ball last year, people just selectively remember that because we lost one of the most overrated names in the NFL.

I'm less convinced that Ireland had much to do with it. Philbin and Sherman don't like to be bothered with rushing attempts. Or plays run from under center. The presence of Reggie Bush lent itself to too much normalcy. Philbin tried to find excuses to keep him off the field so he could run his finesse offense, but it looked ridiculous benching our most dynamic player for one fumble early in a game.

With a quarterback no longer a rookie, Philbin could rationalize that Bush could depart and he was freed up to wing the ball to the new toys, while running 20 or fewer times a game, mostly as an annoyance. Nobody was going to demand rushes to the duo of Miller and Thomas.

Somebody compared it to the Mike Martz philosophy. That's perfect. And it was always a danger when you hire someone from Green Bay, and let alone two with a Green Bay background. At least in the '80s and '90s we ran a pantyhose offense with Dan Marino. Now we're refusing to run the ball with Ryan Tannehill back there. I appreciate the empty seats. The fans aren't as dense as you want them to be.

I had to laugh at the posters who are still desperately knocking Reggie Bush, and pretending we made the correct choice. No rushing attempts and no credibility. It's interesting that Reggie is now averaging more than 13 yards per reception with the Lions, with a previous career high of 8.5. I never understood why he wasn't sent downfield with more regularity. Of course, Tannehill airmailed Reggie in the finale at New England last year, when Reggie was cruising three yards beyond the last defender.

I'm less convinced that Ireland had much to do with it. Philbin and Sherman don't like to be bothered with rushing attempts. Or plays run from under center. The presence of Reggie Bush lent itself to too much normalcy. Philbin tried to find excuses to keep him off the field so he could run his finesse offense, but it looked ridiculous benching our most dynamic player for one fumble early in a game.

With a quarterback no longer a rookie, Philbin could rationalize that Bush could depart and he was freed up to wing the ball to the new toys, while running 20 or fewer times a game, mostly as an annoyance. Nobody was going to demand rushes to the duo of Miller and Thomas.

Somebody compared it to the Mike Martz philosophy. That's perfect. And it was always a danger when you hire someone from Green Bay, and let alone two with a Green Bay background. At least in the '80s and '90s we ran a pantyhose offense with Dan Marino. Now we're refusing to run the ball with Ryan Tannehill back there. I appreciate the empty seats. The fans aren't as dense as you want them to be.

I had to laugh at the posters who are still desperately knocking Reggie Bush, and pretending we made the correct choice. No rushing attempts and no credibility. It's interesting that Reggie is now averaging more than 13 yards per reception with the Lions, with a previous career high of 8.5. I never understood why he wasn't sent downfield with more regularity. Of course, Tannehill airmailed Reggie in the finale at New England last year, when Reggie was cruising three yards beyond the last defender.

This thread is about the running game, and you come in and defend Reggie Bush by describing his pass receptions. It's probably because the numbers don't support you when even behind this ridiculously bad offensive line, Lamar Miller is averaging the same YPC as Reggie Bush.

Back
Top Bottom