Butch & Sundance 2005. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Butch & Sundance 2005.

Sundance Kid

Starter
Reaction score
Csonka and running back Jim Kiick achieved pop-culture status in the early 1970s as "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," although neither could sort out which was Butch. Even the stern Shula named his dog Zonk and laughed at how Csonka was the only running back he'd ever seen who was called for unnecessary roughness for hitting a defender.

"He is Mr. Miami Dolphin," Jim Mandich, the team's former radio analyst, said of Csonka in 2002.

As Kid growing Up watching Zonk play.....He is/always be My Hero!

Jim was Butch and Zonk was Sundance. :)
The defender that he was called for unnecessary roughness on for blasting him with a forearm shiver was CB Pat Fischer of the Redskins, iirc.

MrClean said:
Jim was Butch and Zonk was Sundance. :)
The defender that he was called for unnecessary roughness on for blasting him with a forearm shiver was CB Pat Fischer of the Redskins, iirc.

Man, you amaze me sometimes. You always seem to have a trivia answer, maybe you're just a better googler than us ;)

finswin56 said:
Man, you amaze me sometimes. You always seem to have trivia answer, maybe you're just a better googler than us ;)
I'm just older, and the things I remember, I remember, and the things I don't, I don't. I do google sometimes for things, but not on this one, and I did add 'iirc' so I am not 100% sure it was Fischer, just recall Csonka depositing him one time on his back side and out of bounds and it seems like that was the play where he got called. Thing was, Csonka did the same thing often and did not get called. I have an 8x10 of Csonka breaking through the line vs the Redskins and that off arm is ****ed and ready to unload.

MrClean said:
I'm just older, and the things I remember, I remember, and the things I don't, I don't. I do google sometimes for things, but not on this one, and I did add 'iirc' so I am not 100% sure it was Fischer, just recall Csonka depositing him one time on his back side and out of bounds and it seems like that was the play where he got called. Thing was, Csonka did the same thing often and did not get called. I have an 8x10 of Csonka breaking through the line vs the Redskins and that off arm is ****ed and ready to unload.

Never got to see him play, but I read a biography that explained that "flipper".
When he was in high school (freshman?) he asked the stud senior how he became so tough, or how his arms got that way (something along those lines). The guy said that he would pop the walls with his forearms. So, Czonka did the same thing. Problem was Czonka grew up on a farm (or some place with much less stable walls than the brick ones at school), and he would make the house shake and really tick off his mom. (It has been a long time since I read that story, but it went something like that)

MrClean said:

I don't remember the play although I have been following the fish since 1971. But I do remember pat fisher all 5 feet of him. He use to shut down harold carmicheal for the eagles. I think carmicheal was like 6 foot 8 inches. I hated the redskins but liked that little f@cker .

Back
Top Bottom