BYE WEEK alternatives... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BYE WEEK alternatives...

LOCAL SCUM!

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Pretty much, I was listening to Joe Rose in the morning and he brought something up that I thought was a great Idea. GET RID OF THE BYE WEEK. I dont think we should totally do away with it, but if the entire NFL took a week off at the same time, say maybe at mid season or even after 10 games, that would be a very much needed rest that is no advantage or disadvantage for ANY team. It's totally fair. Plus after 8 or 9 weeks, most teams are usually pretty beat up. What do yall think? The current system doesn't make any sense..Why do we need a bye week after only 3 weeks of play? RIdiculous.

BringBackShula said:
Pretty much, I was listening to Joe Rose in the morning and he brought something up that I thought was a great Idea. GET RID OF THE BYE WEEK. I dont think we should totally do away with it, but if the entire NFL took a week off at the same time, say maybe at mid season or even after 10 games, that would be a very much needed rest that is no advantage or disadvantage for ANY team. It's totally fair. Plus after 8 or 9 weeks, most teams are usually pretty beat up. What do yall think? The current system doesn't make any sense..Why do we need a bye week after only 3 weeks of play? RIdiculous.

yep, there was a tread on this last week and someone brought up a league wide bye between week 8 and 10. I think it would be great, plus it would be a halfway point that I could take my wife out so I can make thru the rest of the season on a good note!

haha..there you go. I'm sure everybody who works in the NFL is thinking the same thing regarding the wifey.

It will never happen. The bye week is a way to get another weeks worth of revenue out of the league without adding in any more games. Plus it helps the ratings of the other games. I will say that i'm ticked off at CBS for not showing a 1:00 game. I would have loved to see the pats eat it.

BringBackShula said:

The Bye week was created for one reason and one reason only....TV Revenue. Therefore the entire league taking a week off does not help the Suits make more $$$$.

The Bye week isnt about getting teams healthy, or being fair.....its serves no logical purpose other than adding 1 extra week to the NFL TV Package.

hdjetta6316 said:
It will never happen. The bye week is a way to get another weeks worth of revenue out of the league without adding in any more games. Plus it helps the ratings of the other games. I will say that i'm ticked off at CBS for not showing a 1:00 game. I would have loved to see the pats eat it.

:yeahthat: :nesucks:

Dolphins_SR66 said:
The Bye week was created for one reason and one reason only....TV Revenue. Therefore the entire league taking a week off does not help the Suits make more $$$$.

The Bye week isnt about getting teams healthy, or being fair.....its serves no logical purpose other than adding 1 extra week to the NFL TV Package.

I didn't think of it that way. That makes total sense. But how bout they dont start the bye weeks until at least week 5? That could work.

Yea nothing like the Pats having a Week 17 bye week the year of their first Super Bowl. So even though they didn't get a first round bye they still in a sense did.

That would be a good idea, but as someone stated before me it will probably never be the case. Getting rid of the bye week is a terrible idea, and the player association would not allow that, but everyone having a bye week the same week wouldnt be a bad idea. Whatever though. At least it helped ronnie,tebucky and junior heal.

Byes are now in weeks 3-10, with four teams idle in each. It might be better to shift them closer to the middle of the season, but they probably don't want to have bye weeks down the final stretch, which is understandable.

Maybe they should consider having six teams off instead of four, meaning fewer bye weeks, so they could be packed more closely around midseason: six bye weeks instead of eight, in weeks 5-10.

Or to get really creative, they could have two bye weeks, with most of the league off for one of them, and make that a midseason featured weekend for TV - maybe just five games, all nationally televised. But then they'd have to guess ahead of time about the good matchups, and sometimes that goes pretty badly. And probably that would be screwing with a money-making TV formula that isn't really broken to begin with.

But eliminate it? Not going to happen, for the reasons stated above (TV $$$). And giving all teams the same week off defeats the whole purpose. Bye weeks are a brilliant idea, if only as a business move. Plus, I'd guess most players enjoy having a week off.

Back
Top Bottom