Bye Week Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bye Week Mock Draft

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Because it's the bye week and I'm missing Dolphins football, how about a near mid-season mock draft? I still think Miami may go to a 3-4 defense, but this mock is based on staying with a 4-3. Here it goes.

Oh, I'm also making one huge free agent signing in Chandler Jones. So I'm crossing defensive end off the list. Hey, I can dream.

1. Reuben Foster ILB, Alabama ---- There are a few players that seem like a perfect fit for Miami and Foster is one of them. I know our very own draft expert Ted Slimm has thrown out comparisons to Pat Willis and that's exactly the type of player the Dolphins need to begin rebuilding the defense. If the team continues to win (hopefully), a more realistic target could be pass rusher Charles Harris or middle linebacker Raekwon McMillan from Ohio State.

2. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson --- The Dolphins offense has some nice building blocks with Laremy Tunsil, Jay Ajayi and Jarvis Landry, plus a decent quarterback in Ryan Tannehill. What Adam Gase really lacks is a talented tight end. This class is filled at the position and would love to see Miami capitalize. O.J. Howard and Jake Butt figure to be off the board, but Jordan Leggett is certainly a possibility. You just know Gase is drooling with all the talent at the tight end position.

3. T.J. Watt, OLB Wisconsin --- Daniel Jeremiah, from NFL Network and a former scout, compared T.J. Watt to Bill Romanowski. Romanowski was a tough, physical linebacker. Watt is the brother of Houston Texans standout J.J. Watt.

4. Cameron Sutton, CB Tennessee --- Due to injury, Sutton may drop a round lower than projected. Lots of good corners in this draft and it wouldn't surprise me if Miami takes one in the first or second. Depending on how Tony Lippett plays corner could be a need or not much of a need. That bears watching the rest of the season.

5. Greg Pyke, OG Georgia --- Pyke plays right tackle for the Bulldogs, but is probably better suited to play guard. Hopefully Miami keeps Brandon Albert for one more year, but even so a true road grader guard is needed. Pyke would seem like a good fit.

6. Josh Augusta, DT Missouri --- A huge DT, Augusta can be a rotational guy for Miami.

7. James Conner RB, Pittsburgh--- Conner battled cancer and an ACL injury, but prior to that was projected as a 2-3 round pick. He's a big back with power who could give Ajayi some carries off.

If we take another RB. I would like Brian Hill out of WY. The guy has been the heart and soul of this team and has carried them to victories multiple times. I think he and the Jay train would make an formidable 1-2 punch.

I can't see us drafting a TE high. I think Gase will work with what we got, maybe add someone in free agency. I dunno why we didn't sign Zack Miller last off season, its not even like he got paid much.

I also think there is a very food chance OJ Howard will still be there in the 2nd for us.

I dunno the players you mocked to us after the 2nd rnd. Foster obviously makes sense.

I really would rather look at DE in round 2...

Demarcus Walker out of FSU or Taco Charlton out of Michigan in round 2.

I really would rather look at DE in round 2...

Demarcus Walker out of FSU or Taco Charlton out of Michigan in round 2.

Probably more realistic than TE. Both of those guys do make sense. I really would love to see Miami capitalize on the quality tight ends and safeties in this draft, but the team does have needs in so many places.

I can't see us drafting a TE high. I think Gase will work with what we got, maybe add someone in free agency. I dunno why we didn't sign Zack Miller last off season, its not even like he got paid much.

I also think there is a very food chance OJ Howard will still be there in the 2nd for us.

I dunno the players you mocked to us after the 2nd rnd. Foster obviously makes sense.

I see the draft going almost exclusively defense, but I could see tight end or guard early if that isn't settled in free agency. I still think pass rusher/linebacker 1-2 in either order.

Chandler Jones is likely a pipe dream. I mean if Oliivier Vernon get $17 million a year, Jones is probably looking at $20 million plus. Will likely have to solve that in the draft.

The potential for going 3-4 would obviously change a lot. In that scenario, I still think Miami takes at least two linebackers high.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

If we take another RB. I would like Brian Hill out of WY. The guy has been the heart and soul of this team and has carried them to victories multiple times. I think he and the Jay train would make an formidable 1-2 punch.

Will have to check out Hill. Honestly, two weeks ago I would have listed running back and linebacker as the biggest needs. Now, with the way Ajayi is playing I think the team looks for depth at running back.

I think hill goes from 2nd Rd on but not really sure. I'm not a draft guy but this kid has been fun to watch.

I think one of either Jake Butt or OJ Howard will be there when Miami picks in the 2nd round

I think one of either Jake Butt or OJ Howard will be there when Miami picks in the 2nd round

Would have to think tight end would be a target pretty early in the draft. Would love to see Miami get one of the top tight ends and safeties in this draft. Maybe with a trade down scenario that could happen.

I have so many concerns with Jordan Leggett that I wouldn't even put him on my board. He's got talent, size, speed but when I watch the tape I see too many instances where he looks like he either doesn't care or has no desire to play football. Can't trust a guy like that...can't work with a guy like that.

Good luck in Atlanta Brian Hill. Was hoping to have snagged him in the later rounds of the draft.

Back
Top Bottom