Calling it Now 1st pick: DT Star Lotulelei | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Calling it Now 1st pick: DT Star Lotulelei

ANUFan

Club Member
Reaction score
Obvious Pick, Obvious Move!

[h=3]ANALYSIS[/h][h=4]STRENGTHS[/h] Powerful and agile starting nose tackle prospect. Versatile enough to play almost all interior defensive line positions across many types of fronts. Often the first player off the snap, will challenge the hand and foot quickness of guards inside. When choosing to bull rush, gets under his man’s pads and churns his legs to push him backwards. Thick arms eat up ball carriers coming into his path. Quick feet and a bit of short-area speed to spin off blocks inside and follow plays across the field. Flashes arm-over move to penetrate. Recognize screens and track them down, also willing to move down the line while engaged. Greatly improved on reading blocking schemes, locating the football, and disengaging over his last two seasons.[h=4]WEAKNESSES[/h] Inconsistent keeping his eyes in the backfield to find the ball and being violent with his hands to shed, but has improved here and is a dominant run-stopper when he does. Will get pressure, but probably won't be a dominant sack artist at the next level due to how he'll be used. Lacks flexibility to break down on open-field tackles, ball carriers can elude him in the backfield. Does not beat cut blocks with his hands, though he does a good job recovering for his size, gets back into the play.[h=4]NFL COMPARISON[/h] Haloti Ngata[h=4]BOTTOM LINE[/h]
This active wide-body struggled with his weight and passion for the game while in Junior College, but Lotulelei (pronounced lo-too-leh-lay) has worked hard over the past couple of seasons to become the Pac-12’s best defensive lineman (20.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks over the last two years) and a probable first-round selection at nose tackle.

By "1st Pick" do you mean #1 overall to the Chiefs? If so, I agree he very well could be.

If you mean the Dolphins 1st pick, then I've got unfortunate news for you. He won't be there.

This is contingent upon Star getting the medical O.K. I still think K.C. goes with one of the Tackles 1st overall very likely Joeckel.
The new wrinkle in the top 10 is going to be

4. Geno Smith-Eagles
5-10) Unexpected name, likely Tavon Austin.

By "1st Pick" do you mean #1 overall to the Chiefs? If so, I agree he very well could be.

If you mean the Dolphins 1st pick, then I've got unfortunate news for you. He won't be there.

I doubt he would even be there at #12, but if he is there you could EASILY justify BPA. I would have no problem as far as taking the BPA, but its is not a need at all. D-Line is our deepest position and I'm not sure we have the luxury of taking a DT at this point. I would rather have Cooper.

I doubt he would even be there at #12, but if he is there you could EASILY justify BPA. I would have no problem as far as taking the BPA, but its is not a need at all. D-Line is our deepest position and I'm not sure we have the luxury of taking a DT at this point. I would rather have Cooper.

That is a short sighted opinion. Lotulelei is one of the few blue chip impact players in this draft. The way to beat pocket QB's (BRADY, Marino) is to put quick pressure right up the middle. And as some have pointed out, Soliai and Starks are FA's next yr. If by some miracle, He falls to 12, the Phins would be tripping over themselves running to the podium.
You would seriously pick a solid G over a D-lineman that can disrupt an offense?

No thanks im fine with Starks Soliai and Odrick. He will go before wr pick anyway.

No thanks im fine with Starks Soliai and Odrick. He will go before wr pick anyway.

Starks and Solai are both in the final year of their deals. If he is there at 12 it's a real possibility. I'm thinking #4 to the Eagles.

Starks and Solai are both in the final year of their deals. If he is there at 12 it's a real possibility. I'm thinking #4 to the Eagles.

sure and both can probably be re-signed for a pretty reasonable price next year, if one is stubborn odrick can step in. We have more pressing needs than DT.

Anyway Star will go top 5 so its not really worth discussion.

I go to kffl.com site every day and there are always interesting tidbits from all media sources. hearing since his heart is fine, he is back to the top. Oakland, jax, philly all possibilities.

Even though everyone on the forum is clearly an expert, nothing's a foregone conclusion in the draft. Chances are he won't be there, but it's not a crazy thought. To me though I'd rather take an end and kick Odrick inside so he can get his feet wet on the interior, that way we can see what we have in him and make an evaluation for next draft. Every draft has a number of first round DT's it seems and I think some outside pass rush is a more pressing need and there's a lot of talent.

But what if trade rumors were just to be in position to take him. Wh0 would u pick between him and Johnson?

Last edited by a moderator:

Afraid CK is right. Star is ascending again and if here hasn't ever been that scare about his heart he never would've dropped in all those mock drafts. Every year there are a few guys who shoot up or drop down draft boards due to offseason happenings and everyone is really hot or cold on them and by the time the draft roles around whatever circumstance that had been overblown washes away and they end up right back where they started on the draft boards. Star is a top 5 pick.

Back
Top Bottom