Cameron Wake not making waves | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cameron Wake not making waves

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
1. Pass-rushing linebacker Cam Wake isn’t standing out, but it might not matter.
Wake’s signing was one of the big stories of the Dolphins’ off-season. But it’s looking like piling up 39 sacks in two seasons in the CFL doesn’t mean much in the NFL.

Wake has looked like just another guy looking to make an NFL team. The difference is Wake will be given time to develop that some players might not receive.
Third-year pro Quentin Moses had a sack and an interception one outside linebacker fighting for a roster spot, but surely trails Wake in the fight to make the 53 man. And Moses, 25, was twice the player at Georgia Wake, 26, was at Penn State.
Tony Sparano said he considers Wake to be a rookie, even though he’s been out of college since 2005, and that he began to catch his eye a bit Monday during the first day in pads.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...talking-points-cameron-wake-not-making-waves/

from everything i've been reading, its sounding like the pressure that cam wake has been getting has forced the QBs to rush their decision making and allow others to get sacks. i'm going to cut him some slack.

I can't speak for everyone but I was holding out that Wake was going to be one of those "diamond in the rough" type players. These intial reports are telling me otherwise :(

One reporter says he impressed...the other says he's depressed....who gives a hoot. The only thing that matters is what happens after the start of the season.

it is still a long TC, he might just get it going eventually>

Besides with the return of JT, I think we have enough depth at OLB to cause some nice pressure this year.

I am more then willing to be patient and let him develop.
Chubbs

I can't speak for everyone but I was holding out that Wake was going to be one of those "diamond in the rough" type players. These intial reports are telling me otherwise :(

I think you should trust Tony Sparano when he's telling you what issues Cameron Wake might be having in practice so far. He tried to say that he thinks Cam Wake is new to the NFL and therefore having trouble adjusting to the tempo of practice.

Now keep in mind, he's not saying that Wake likes to "take it easy" in practice or anything like that. But he plays a violent position, and his athletic strength is in violent explosion (he can leap tall buildings and lift Randy Starks' freightliner). He's not supposed to turn it up to 11 and go balls out. That's how people get hurt and that's not what practice is about. Practice is about controlled bursts and fluid techniqe. Then when you get into the games and you turn it up to 11, you'll remember your technique (hopefully). In practice, you have to hit that happy medium between staying controlled and using fluid technique, and going so hard that you "flash" at people. It's tough, it doesn't come right away for a linebacker or defensive end position.

The true test of Cameron Wake's metal, will be preseason. That, IMO, is when we'll see him dial it up, go all out, and that's when we'll be able to see when/if he can beat NFL players that are also trying to go all out. If he does well there, that's step one. Step two will be translating that ability to beat players, to also being able to beat schemes and play designs.

If he could piledrive Tom Brady,just once..he'll be worth it.

Give him time to adjust to the NFL, he's got the physical tools, it's all about learning to use those tools. I'm pretty sure he wasn't dominating everyone in the CFL when he first started, it takes time.

Give Wake time. He's learning a new position so he's thinking before moving full speed. Once he is comfortable with what he's doing, he can go 100 mph. I will not worry until I hear Coach complain about his progress not some beat writer.

wait til the real hittin starts and give the guy some time. Some guys just are not expected to be for real overnight and Wake is one of them. Thats why we have JT.

I think you should trust Tony Sparano when he's telling you what issues Cameron Wake might be having in practice so far. He tried to say that he thinks Cam Wake is new to the NFL and therefore having trouble adjusting to the tempo of practice.

Now keep in mind, he's not saying that Wake likes to "take it easy" in practice or anything like that. But he plays a violent position, and his athletic strength is in violent explosion (he can leap tall buildings and lift Randy Starks' freightliner). He's not supposed to turn it up to 11 and go balls out. That's how people get hurt and that's not what practice is about. Practice is about controlled bursts and fluid techniqe. Then when you get into the games and you turn it up to 11, you'll remember your technique (hopefully). In practice, you have to hit that happy medium between staying controlled and using fluid technique, and going so hard that you "flash" at people. It's tough, it doesn't come right away for a linebacker or defensive end position.

The true test of Cameron Wake's metal, will be preseason. That, IMO, is when we'll see him dial it up, go all out, and that's when we'll be able to see when/if he can beat NFL players that are also trying to go all out. If he does well there, that's step one. Step two will be translating that ability to beat players, to also being able to beat schemes and play designs.

I agree. Wait until you see Wake play in actual games before claiming he's not much of a player.

couldn't have said it any better

still early - he's got plenty of time to show what he can do. glad to hear moses is doing well - he was no joke in college and i thought he would make more of an immediate impact. our OLB depth has the potential to be absolutely stacked.

Back
Top Bottom