Can Karlos Dansby play mlb(mike) in a 4-3 defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Karlos Dansby play mlb(mike) in a 4-3 defense

crossfit93

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Karlos Dansby does a Great job playing 3-4 ilb and a 4-3 olb. the question is could he be a good Mlb for the 4-3 defense (maybe with burnett and lawson on the outside)?

Dansby is better suited for strong side line backer IMO... He could be a stop gap until we find one though...

I think his talent could make him a starter in any of the 3 LBer positions in a 4-3 D

I'd like to sign Lofa Tatupu to a cheap contract. I think it's a win win for us, we bring him and if he shows us he's the same linebacker he was in his prime then we get a steal at MLB and if he struggles then we either cut him or use him as depth.

he could play any lb in the 4-3. i would put him at mike for now, untill we can find our next zt. god i miss that guy

IMHO Dansby should be outside opposite Wake, and put Misi in the middle. I think Misi has the best pursuit and ability to pick up crossing routes.

Yeah......

4-3 Wake is playing DE.

4-3 Defense

DE - Wake
DT - Odrick
DT - Starks
DE - Mario Williams or Cliff Avril (FA)

Langford/McDaniels rotation.

OLB - Burnett
MLB - Stephen Tulloch (FA)
OLB - Karlos Dansby

Absolutely he could! One big advantage for LB's in the 4-3 is that they don't have to take on as many blockers who get off the line clean. This is why 4-3 linebackers are usually smaller and quicker. Dansby isn't a little guy at all, but he is a phenominal athlete, and if he's going one-on-one against RB's up the middle while our stout DT's take on the blockers, he will win that battle 9 times out of 10. I could also see Misi manning the middle, Dansby at SOLB, and Burnett at WOLB, but with Dansby staying in on Nickel packages instead of Misi.

Absolutely he could! One big advantage for LB's in the 4-3 is that they don't have to take on as many blockers who get off the line clean. This is why 4-3 linebackers are usually smaller and quicker. Dansby isn't a little guy at all, but he is a phenominal athlete, and if he's going one-on-one against RB's up the middle while our stout DT's take on the blockers, he will win that battle 9 times out of 10. I could also see Misi manning the middle, Dansby at SOLB, and Burnett at WOLB, but with Dansby staying in on Nickel packages instead of Misi.
Great post I agree with alot of it, my only problem is I don't see how Misi is such a good player as some say on this board. His first 2 seasons he only average 37 tackles as a starter, the MLB has to be able to blow any and every play up due basicly being unaccounted for IF your DT's can disrupt the middle and collapse the pocket.

In other words in a 3-4 defense only 1 NT kept Dansby and Burnett clean up the middle. The DE's on the 3-4 were responsible for collapsing the pocket on run plays or containing the outside run with pursuit.

In a 4-3 defense the 2 DT's will control the LOS by bullrushing consistantly to impact the QB/RB from stepping up into the pocket or running up the middle. Dansby (MLB) will be virtually untouched 9 out of 10 times and will have to just be a BEAST like he has proven he can be. Koa Misi hasn't show anything in his NFL or college career that indicated he has starting ability, IMO he's a career BACKUP. Weakside OLB - Burnett / MLB - Dansby / Strongside OLB - Free agent / Rookie

P.S. the strong side linebacker is resposibile for strong side run penetration. This means everytime the offense show's a power run formation (TE/FB lined up creating an overload on one side) that LB is responsible for being the "bowling ball". He must be able to agressively attack the power run play and take on the TE,FB or pulling Lineman. He should be able to penetrate and blow up the play, hold contain and direct the play inside or atleast hold at the point of attack so the other LB's can flow in pursuit and clean up behind him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker#Strongside_linebacker
The strongside linebacker (SLB) is often nicknamed "Sam" for purposes of calling a blitz. Since the strong side of the offensive team is the side on which the tight end lines up, or whichever side contains the most personnel, the strongside linebacker usually lines up across from the tight end. Often the strongside linebacker will be called upon to tackle the running back on a play, because the back will be following the tight end's block. He is most often the strongest linebacker; at the least he possesses the ability to withstand, shed, and fight off blocks from a tight end or fullback blocking the backside of a pass play. The linebacker should also have strong safety abilities in pass situation to cover the tight end in man on man situations. He should also have considerable quickness to read and get into coverage in zone situations.

dansby as an every down player would be a strong side or mike backer...you can't get away with dansby at a 43 de...mike or strong side...one thing dansby can do provided he's in shape which he wasn't early in 2011 is run...that guy runs like a gazelle for his size...clean looks in a 43 i think he'd be dynamite after the transition period

Back
Top Bottom