Can someone please explain Cutlers contract? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can someone please explain Cutlers contract?

Jimi

The World Is Yours
Reaction score
I've seen lots of talk about how the Cutler experiment screwed us for next year. I don't understand the concept. If we signed Cutler to a 1 year deal, why is it costing us more the second year?

Because salary cap room rolls over. We would have 10 million dollars more to spend on players (like Jarvis Landry) if we had not signed Jay Cutler this season.

Because salary cap room rolls over. We would have 10 million dollars more to spend on players (like Jarvis Landry) if we had not signed Jay Cutler this season.

Excuse my ignorance, but would you mind explaining the "roll-over" thing? It would be easy for me if you could explain it in this context: say we had exactly 10 million in cap room before signing Jay. How did his contact imapct this years cap number, and how is impacting next years?

OK, the really simplistic explanation is this:

Let's say that the salary cap is 100 million dollars this year, and 100 million dollars next year. If you only spend 90 million dollars this year, you can spend 110 million dollars next year.

So basically, if we had not signed Jay Cutler to a contract, the Dolphins would have 10 million dollars more to spend in 2018, had they not signed any other players in the pre-season with that money.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/2/8134891/nfl-salary-cap-2015-franchise-tag-explained

This article is from 2015, but if you scroll down, it explains how the 'carryover' provision works a little bit, and shows some real examples.

We had 10 mill that we had not use and we could have rolled that over to next year but once we spent the 10 mill on him we no longer could roll it over. That's how it hurts next year

Ozzy rules!!

Let's say that the salary cap is 100 million dollars this year, and 100 million dollars next year. If you only spend 90 million dollars this year, you can spend 110 million dollars next year.

So basically, if we had not signed Jay Cutler to a contract, the Dolphins would have 10 million dollars more to spend in 2018, had they not signed any other players in the pre-season with that money.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/2/8134891/nfl-salary-cap-2015-franchise-tag-explained

This article is from 2015, but if you scroll down, it explains how the 'carryover' provision works a little bit, and shows some real examples.
Kinda makes you sick that we wasted that much cap space on a player that was beyond awful doesn't it?

btw, how it hurt this year was we spent 10mill on him to lead us to a losing season

Ozzy rules!!

Ah thank you, now I understand. Thats pretty crazy, so teams like the Browns who only use half their salary could just sign every big FA next year if they wanted. Interesting.

Could have been spent on Landrys sign on bonus this year........and then we could have paid him 9.5 annually for the next 4yrs. Which would be 48mil total over 4yrs, totally manageable, and likely close to what he wants.

But nope, we are the Dolphins. Screwing up our future for sub par players today!

Ah thank you, now I understand. Thats pretty crazy, so teams like the Browns who only use half their salary could just sign every big FA next year if they wanted. Interesting.
The team sitting pretty is Jacksonville with their $39 million roll over. No one wants to play in Cleveland. Jacksonville, which has somehow managed to put up a really good season, offer money, weather, and what should be a really good team in 2018.

Haha, a losing season was already decided the second Tanny went down. We werent getting a good option in the preseason.
Well then you see why it was pretty stupid to give Cutler 10 million then. After all, if we were going to lose anyway . . . .

Back
Top Bottom