Can we afford to do this in FA and the draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can we afford to do this in FA and the draft?

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
Here's an article from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ew-stanton-top-list-of-underrated-free-agents

It is a write up about underrated FA's. was thinking about this.
*resign of our own: Hartline, Long, Clemons, and Starks
*sign other FA's: Keller (TE), Cox (CB), and Johnson (DE)
*draft: trade down a few spots and get an extra 2 or 3, with first pick take Cooper (OG) who can pull & move we'll in the offensive scheme, then with the next five picks take a TE , a CB, and 3 WR's, then BPA after that.

depending on their prices, that's 7 FA's that fill much needed positions and the draft we get our playmakers. Perhaps we draft a RB if a good one falls late to us. Then I would focus on rebuilding our LB's next year after Dansby and Burnett leave.

My thinking was we use out FA money to fill other holes and draft our playmakers to grow with Tannehill. Plus we keep Tannehill's comfort in Hartline.

This off season is great except let Hartline and Long walk and we can sign Wallace. That would make me very happy.

Actually, I think we should give Johnson a look off this list. He's familiar with Coyle's system and would give us another pass rusher. If we can get him for the right price I'd say bring him in.

My thinking was we use out FA money to fill other holes and draft our playmakers to grow with Tannehill. Plus we keep Tannehill's comfort in Hartline.

Ireland doesn't have time to draft playmakers that will "grow". I think maybe they draft a Stedman Bailey in the 2nd or 3rd but other than that, i think they go with proven guys. We could be contenders NOW if we go about this offseason the right way..

Ireland doesn't have time to draft playmakers that will "grow". I think maybe they draft a Stedman Bailey in the 2nd or 3rd but other than that, i think they go with proven guys. We could be contenders NOW if we go about this offseason the right way..

Ireland has to do his job and assume he will be here for the future. Draft for the future to secure the long term success of the team, anything else is reckless and will make his firing all the more likely. Will we win the Superbowl this season? No, so making this season the biggest priority would be a mistake. We need to make significant progress this year, that is what counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ireland has to do his job and assume he will be here for the future. Draft for the future to secure the long term success of the team, anything else is reckless and will make his firing all the more likely. Will we the Superbowl this season? No, so making this season the biggest priority would be a mistake. We need to make significant progress this year, that is what counts.

Any team can win the Super Bowl any given year...that's why the NFL is king. The Dolphins are willing to allow the renovations go to a public vote...getting explosive guys outside who are proven (at wide receiver, perhaps the hardest position to draft) will be a great football and business and PR decision. New logo, ushering in a new era. Everything points to the Dolphins going big, at the behest of Stephen Ross.

It's not implausible, especially since there are no sure things @ wide receiver in the draft, which is part of the reason Hartline is in "talks" with the Fins.

I like the following two FA, Michael Johnson from Cincy and Dashon Goldson from Frisco. These two players will help our defense immensely.

Back
Top Bottom