Cap as of 12/6/12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap as of 12/6/12

Zounds

CPA4LYFE
Reaction score
Enough salary cap talk. Lets throw down some real numbers.

Lets also assume the following rules:

-The salary cap roll over from 2011 is $8.9 million
-The unsed salary cap from the previous year can be rolled over into the next year
-During the regular season, the 53 man active roster and the practice squad players count against the cap
-During the offseason, only the highest 51 players count against the cap.
-If a player is cut mid-season, his entire salary does not count against the cap unles he is a vested veteran (4 or more accrued years) and was active for the 1st regular season game
-If a vested vet is cut mid-season (Legadu Naanee) and is picked up by another team, that team will take on the pro-rated salary cap hit for the rest of the year
-If a player is signed mid-season (Jabar Gaffney), only his pro-rated annual salary counts against our cap
-And this is my own rule: If multiple websites list different contract numbers, always use the highest number reported.

If anyone would like the MS Excel version of this spreadsheet, please PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated on 12/6/12

Added Brandon Fields' contract to 2013. It was an extention that did not change his 2012 contract. It also has a low guarnteed amount of money, but a high ceiling, so I assumed it is heavy on incentives. I'll also assume he is likely to reach those incentives, being that it appears he is headed for his first Pro Bowl this year.

Also corrected Dansby's pro-rated signing bonus, and added Tyrone Culver's salary over the remaining 4 games, and Jason Trusnik's extension. I know we signed a few PS guys, but I'm not splitting hairs for the little guys.

View attachment Cap 12-6-12.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be the best Salary cap spreadsheet I have seen to date on this site. I am sticking this thread for you Zounds, awesome job.

Thanks. I think its nice aesthetically, but all of the salary and bonus numbers came from a variety of sources, some of which contradict each other, so its tough to get excact contract numbers. If anyone has additional salary info that is not in the spreadsheet, I welcome them to post here with a link to the source, and I will update the spreadsheet so we can keep a running total.

Thanks. I think its nice aesthetically, but all of the salary and bonus numbers came from a variety of sources, some of which contradict each other, so its tough to get excact contract numbers. If anyone has additional salary info that is not in the spreadsheet, I welcome them to post here with a link to the source, and I will update the spreadsheet so we can keep a running total.

I know brother, I have searched in the past for cap numbers and they are so obscure sometimes it is 75% factual and 25% speculation. At least your document gets us in the general ballpark and gives a solid well presented platform to work from.

Can I change the date in the thread title or do I need to start a new thread for an updated spreadsheet?

Your spreadsheet is getting closer but you still have some players who's contracts are expiring after this season as being on the roster for next season and being active players. You have 43 active players and the number is much lower than that.

Jason Trusnik - signed a 2 year/$2 million contract in 2011...there should be no 2013 cap hit for him since he will be an UFA at season's end.
Jeron Mustrud - signed a 1 year/$540,000 contract in 2012...he will be a RFA in 2013. He should have no salary for 2013 although I think he still gives us a cap hit unless he signs somewhere else or we don't give him an offer.
Austin Spitler - Same as Mustrud
Legedu Naanee - signed a 1 year/$540,000 contract in 2012...should not be counted in 2013 as a cap hit or on the roster...obviously.
RJ Stanford - signed a 1 year/$540,000 in 2012...he will be a RFA in 2013...same story as Mustrud, RFA shouldn't be counted as on the roster.
Marlon Moore - signed a 3 year/$1,215,000 contract in 2010...will be a RFA in 2013...shouldn't be counted on the roster.
Jonathan Amaya - same as RJ Stanford and Mustrud...RFA in 2013 shouldn't be counted on the roster.
Jonathan Freeny - signed a 1 year/$390,000 in 2012 as an undrafted free agent...RFA in 2013...shouldn't be counted on the roster.
Marcus Thigpen - same as Freeny.
Pat Devlin - same as Freeny and Thigpen.
Will Barker - Same as RJ Stanford and Mustrud.

So that's 11 guys you're counting as being Active Players in 2013 that shouldn't be. We should have 32 players signed for 2013. We'll probably tender a few of the RFA's but not all of them and you can't count them as active players until those qualifying offers are made. If RFA are not offered qualifying tenders then they become unrestricted.

Your spreadsheet is getting closer but you still have some players who's contracts are expiring after this season as being on the roster for next season and being active players. You have 43 active players and the number is much lower than that.

Jason Trusnik - signed a 2 year/$2 million contract in 2011...there should be no 2013 cap hit for him since he will be an UFA at season's end.
Jeron Mustrud - signed a 1 year/$540,000 contract in 2012...he will be a RFA in 2013. He should have no salary for 2013 although I think he still gives us a cap hit unless he signs somewhere else or we don't give him an offer.
Austin Spitler - Same as Mustrud
Legedu Naanee - signed a 1 year/$540,000 contract in 2012...should not be counted in 2013 as a cap hit or on the roster...obviously.
RJ Stanford - signed a 1 year/$540,000 in 2012...he will be a RFA in 2013...same story as Mustrud, RFA shouldn't be counted as on the roster.
Marlon Moore - signed a 3 year/$1,215,000 contract in 2010...will be a RFA in 2013...shouldn't be counted on the roster.
Jonathan Amaya - same as RJ Stanford and Mustrud...RFA in 2013 shouldn't be counted on the roster.
Jonathan Freeny - signed a 1 year/$390,000 in 2012 as an undrafted free agent...RFA in 2013...shouldn't be counted on the roster.
Marcus Thigpen - same as Freeny.
Pat Devlin - same as Freeny and Thigpen.
Will Barker - Same as RJ Stanford and Mustrud.

So that's 11 guys you're counting as being Active Players in 2013 that shouldn't be. We should have 32 players signed for 2013. We'll probably tender a few of the RFA's but not all of them and you can't count them as active players until those qualifying offers are made. If RFA are not offered qualifying tenders then they become unrestricted.

Jason Trusnik - signed a 2 year contract extension recently
Jeron Mustrud - RFA
Austin Spitler - RFA
Legedu Naanee - This guy shouldnt count against 2013. A typo which I will correct on the next update, likely after the final game. I should actually move his 2012 cap hit to the dead money section. Thanks for pointing that out.
RJ Stanford - RFA
Marlon Moore - RFA
Jonathan Amaya - RFA
Jonathan Freeny - RFA
Marcus Thigpen - RFA
Pat Devlin - RFA
Will Barker - RFA

Liks I said in the VIP discussion, I have included RFAs in the 2013 cap number because Miami has exclusive rights to those players, and unless these players are cut or traded before the new NFL league year in March, they will count against the 2013 offseason cap. Its unlikely that all of the RFA will make the team in 2013, but I have to account for them until they are cut or traded, especially since most will be given a chance to compete in training camp. This is the main reason I created the "in-season" cap number vs the "off-season" cap number.

If you'd like, I can make a 3rd colum on the spreadsheet that list the cap without the RFAs. Let me know and I can add it, or if you'd like the Excel copy to make adjustments onyour own, I can do that too.

If you'd like, I can make a 3rd colum on the spreadsheet that list the cap without the RFAs. Let me know and I can add it, or if you'd like the Excel copy to make adjustments onyour own, I can do that too.
Yeah, I think that would be helpful.

I will add that to the spreasheet when I update it after the season, which should be fairly soon. I will also remove the 2012 column.

Back
Top Bottom