Cap hit or savings? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap hit or savings?

SgtPhin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If we were to trade or release the following 5 players, would we be able to save Cap space or would we have to take a Cap hit?

Green, T.- QB
Shelton,L.J.- OT
Booker,M.-WR
Taylor,J.- DE
Thomas,Z.- LB

Say for instance, we cut Green and Booker, then trade Shelton and Taylor and finally, Thomas were to retire. What would our Cap savings/hit be per player?

Without having access to our old salary cap page, here is my best estimate from other web resources -- which admittedly are not as good.

GREEN: $2.133 million cap savings. ($2.8 million base salary - $667K accelerated bonuses.) This is the figure in which I am least confident.

SHELTON: $1.25 million cap savings. ($3 million base salary - $1.75 million in accelerated signing bonus.)

BOOKER: $4.3 million cap savings. (All base salary; Chicago accelerated his signing bonus when we acquired him.)

TAYLOR: Approximate $2.2 million cap savings. ($7.5 million base salary - $5.3 millionish accelerated bonuses.)

THOMAS: $3.223 million cap savings. ($5.6 million base salary - $2.337 million accelerated bonuses.)

So, if my math is correct, that gives us an additional $13.1 million in Cap space, Correct? That would put us over $35 million for signing our draft an FA's for this year. Sounds like enough to make a considerable jump in our rebuilding this team, with judicial acquisitions of young, talented FA's instead of old, high priced big names.

Thanks, DolphanDave. I really appreciate the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty Booker...is the one player on that list I would not miss...He is a hard worker and comes to play every sunday...But for a team in rebuilding mode he has little value for this roster...His cap number is too high and his production is too low...my guess is...He is one of the first players cut once parcells sparano and ireland decide to clean house...

When is booker signed through?
he will be a FA in 2009 so this would be his last year with miami if we didnt trade or Release him i think he is a good player we just need to get younger at that postion

Keep JT and Zach, They wil not save that much against the cap.

$5+million a year isn't much? That's a very good salary for 2 or 3 solid players in 1 year! That's just the savings alone, just add up their 2 salaries and figure how many solid players we could have without them on the roster! They make almost $13 million per year together, that's a good salary for 6 players who would help a lot more than sentimental favorites that are on the last legs of great careers! Don't get me wrong, I love Zach and Jason and what they have done for our team over the years, but, I love this TEAM more than any one or group of players on it!! If moving any player out will help the team over all, I love you honey, but it's time for you to go! This has nothing to do with my sentiments regarding any of our players, it's all about my deep, undying devotion to this TEAM!

Back
Top Bottom