Cap implications of Boston injury | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap implications of Boston injury

DolfanDaveInMI

Active Roster
Reaction score
As I recall, Boston's contract was restructured that most of this year's base salary was turned into playing-time incentives. If I'm reading the cap page correctly, it looks like you've classified that as a likely-to-be-earned bonus and thus counted it toward this year's cap.

But if he is put on injured reserve and thus will not receive any of that bonus, do we get that credited back this year or have to wait until next?

I have been thinking about this since I heard the news. He has a large roster bonus of $1.82 million. I suspect it has already been paid as a condition of the trade, but if not, it's likely that Miami will not have to pay it as he will not be on the 53 man roster come final cuts. He was scheduled to receive $89,000/game paid. I will look into this later. Merman will likely be able to shed some light on this as well :)

DolfanDaveInATX said:
As I recall, Boston's contract was restructured that most of this year's base salary was turned into playing-time incentives. If I'm reading the cap page correctly, it looks like you've classified that as a likely-to-be-earned bonus and thus counted it toward this year's cap.

But if he is put on injured reserve and thus will not receive any of that bonus, do we get that credited back this year or have to wait until next?

This is an excellent question and I was going to answer before but decided to double check and ponder the question.

Boston was traded for a 2005 conditional sixth-round draft choice. The condition is that he makes the 53 man roster or be on the active roster on opening day.

The contract was structured with a minimum salary of $535k, a roster bonus for being active for each game and a $100k workout bonus for the 2004 year.

He has already earned the workout bonus and will get paid the $535k base salary for being on injured reserve. Unless of course if he has a split contract option clause in his contract which would have to be reported for any of us to know.

The each game roster bonus information I have is $1.615 million and fifteen seventeenths is LTBE.

My first reaction was and still is that the LTBE incentives will be charged this year and we will receive a credit next year. This side letter does affirm this position in the negative as does other CBA regulations.

* For purposes of the Salary Cap, any incentive bonus (or portion thereof) that is earned during the [Final Capped] Year, but which had not been deemed likely to be earned at 100 percent of its value during that League Year, will be deemed earned and counted against the Salary Cap immediately upon attainment of the required performance level. Conversely, any incentive bonus (or portion thereof) that had been deemed likely to be earned during the [Final Capped] Year will be immediately credited toward the Salary Cap if the required performance level should, during the course of the [Final Capped] Year, become impossible for the player to attain.

*Side Letter 11/11/93: Sec. 1

The restriction of the Final Capped year makes sense since the next year would be uncapped so any credit or charge for incentives the next year would be meaninglesss.

Merman said:
Boston was traded for a 2005 conditional sixth-round draft choice. The condition is that he makes the 53 man roster or be on the active roster on opening day.

Does this mean that we keep our 6th rounder then?

That has yet to be determined. I would think that conditions of the trade would include language dealing with a Boston injury.

Back
Top Bottom