Careful- We are starting to sound like Al Davis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Careful- We are starting to sound like Al Davis

Ruckus45

Club Member
Reaction score
While I love fast players as much as the next guy the more I read in this forum about the man crushes on Austin, Swope, and others. the more I see the ghost of Al Davis in our fan base. In my mind he is something like the ghost of Christmas past- chains and all. That man loved players for speed alone and the Raider's drafts reflected it. The Raider's record did as well.

Fast players can be great (Leon Sandcastle) but great players don't need to be fast (Jerry Rice). Fast WRs also don't necessarily make an offense "dynamic" (Ted Ginn).

So while we can be blinded by speed lets all keep an open mind on who would really be a pick at 12 that makes our team better this year and will be a starter for years to come. For me, based on where we are today it'd be the guys like Cooper, Ansah, Rhodes, or Warmack who would be three down players and safe long term starters with good upside. I like that better than a one trick pony the size of a malnourished elf who might catch 30 a year.

Appreciate you reading my sleep deprived caffeine induced diatribe.

I hear ya. I really don't want to become what the Saints or Packers have turned into: chuckin it around the yard for 400/gm, no running game, and can't play defense worth a damn. That's not football.

I damn well hope that we are all sounding like Al Davis.

Once we sound like this:

"Just win baby"

I hear ya. I really don't want to become what the Saints or Packers have turned into: chuckin it around the yard for 400/gm, no running game, and can't play defense worth a damn. That's not football.

Haven't both those teams won a Super Bowl in recent years??

The difference is the Saints and Packers are not drafting a guy high because he is fast as some of the fans here are suggesting we do. In fact, the Pack have drafted 2 OT, 2 DT, 2 LB, and 1 De in the last 7 years. The Saints last drafted a 1st rd WR in 07 in Meachem. The key to their passing game is the QB and system - not speedy WRs.

Im not saying we don't go pass for 400 yards a game. I saying that we don't go drafting a luxury when clear long term assets are there.

The difference is the Saints and Packers are not drafting a guy high because he is fast as some of the fans here are suggesting we do. In fact, the Pack have drafted 2 OT, 2 DT, 2 LB, and 1 De in the last 7 years. The Saints last drafted a 1st rd WR in 07 in Meachem. The key to their passing game is the QB and system - not speedy WRs.

Im not saying we don't go pass for 400 yards a game. I saying that we don't go drafting a luxury when clear long term assets are there.
Oh I see what you mean, my bad. I thought you were talking mostly about positional value.

I agree with you but some of these guys aren't just fast. Austin in particular is also elusive, explosive and appears to have very good vision. His size is certainly a risk but he's not just one of those track stars trying to play football, he can actually play the game.

While I love fast players as much as the next guy the more I read in this forum about the man crushes on Austin, Swope, and others. the more I see the ghost of Al Davis in our fan base. In my mind he is something like the ghost of Christmas past- chains and all. That man loved players for speed alone and the Raider's drafts reflected it. The Raider's record did as well.

Fast players can be great (Leon Sandcastle) but great players don't need to be fast (Jerry Rice). Fast WRs also don't necessarily make an offense "dynamic" (Ted Ginn).

So while we can be blinded by speed lets all keep an open mind on who would really be a pick at 12 that makes our team better this year and will be a starter for years to come. For me, based on where we are today it'd be the guys like Cooper, Ansah, Rhodes, or Warmack who would be three down players and safe long term starters with good upside. I like that better than a one trick pony the size of a malnourished elf who might catch 30 a year.

Appreciate you reading my sleep deprived caffeine induced diatribe.

I'd have a tough time saying which is worse, Al Davis's focus on speed our never ending focus on cornfed. Both have accomplished about the same over the same amount of time.

There's a difference between pure speed (Ginn, Gates) and football players that have pure speed in addition to other football skills (Wallace). Al Davis wasn't interested in that difference.

I'd have a tough time saying which is worse, Al Davis's focus on speed our never ending focus on cornfed. Both have accomplished about the same over the same amount of time.

Not so sure it was OUR focus on corn fed as it was Parcels and Sparano. We'll find out soon though, but I suspect we'll still be drafting cornfed, but maybe diet cornfed. Whatever we do I just hope for good, smart, mean football players - regardless of their 40.

Back
Top Bottom