Carlos Hyde Jr.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by crossfit93, Nov 30, 2013.

1. crossfit93

crossfit93 Well-Known Member

I've watched this kid for 3-4 games now. I hope the dolphins pull the trigger on him. Possible 3rd round pick, what do you guys think?

2. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Why "free agent"?

I agree he is a good yang to Miller. I wonder in free agency they should look for an experienced back.

3. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I wouldn't make too much of his game today. Michigan is not good.

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Showed strong character by fumbling, but coming back strong.

5. crossfit93

That supposed to say draft haha!

6. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

I would prefer to get a big back in the draft. They're cheaper & you control them for four years. I'd like to grab a big back like Hyde or Andre Williams in the 4th round so we can drop Thomas' sorry butt. Hyde may not have great top end speed but he has that quick make you miss step similar to Eddie Lacy.

7. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Not as big as Hyde but I like KaDeem Carey out of Arizona.

8. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

KaDeem Carey is a badass, so is Seastrunk, and Storm Johnson. I know some having been calling this upcoming draft weak overall but I disagree. I feel like its deeper at all most every position than last year.

9. EJay

EJay Scout Team

It's not just one game against scUM. He has 7 100 yd games in a row, 1300 rush yards and 16 total TD's in only 10 games. He's a load at 230+, breaks tackles, has deceptive quickness and speed, catches the ball well out of the backfield and is more than capable in pass protection. He has the makings of a very good all-around back. The Phins would be lucky to have him.

10. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

I don't think it's a weak class at all although TE is dreadful after the top four guys. Comparing 2013 & 2014 by position with the expectation that all of the top juniors will declare:

QB - 2014
    RB - 2013
    FB - irrelevant
    WR - 2014
    TE - 2013
    OT - 2014
    G - 2013
    C - 2014
    DE - push
    DT - push
    ILB - 2013
    OLB - 2014
    CB - 2013
    S - 2013

11. beanh8er

beanh8er A True Fan Donator

Carlos Hyde is nasty. He reminds me a lot of Daniel Thomas coming out, but with actual power. He's going to be a great player in the league.

12. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Isaiah Crowell, former SEC freshman of the year for Georgia who was kicked out of school and transferred to Alabama State. Should be a late round pick due to character concerns but he's kept himself clean for the last two years. No incidents off the field from what I know.

13. phinking

phinking A True Fan

If The Phins sign a LT in Free Agency then Hyde should be the pick.

14. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Michigans front 7 is very young and has struggled all season. UM has simply spread out defenses the Buckeyes have faced and handed the ball to Hyde. Also helps having an athletic QB like Miller. Let's see what Hyde can do against Sparty in the B1G Championship. That defense is unreal.

15. EJay

EJay Scout Team

He did pretty dang well. Most OSU fans are upset they didn't hand him the ball more. If they had, especially on the 4th and 2 late in the game, they probably would have won and would be playing for the title in a month.

Hyde is a beast. 8-consecutive 100 yard games after last night's performance. If he hadn't missed the first 3 games, he'd be in the Heisman discussion.

16. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I was impressed with his effort in the MSU game. I'm not sure you can't get him in the 2nd rd though, rb just isn't highly valued in the draft right now.

17. EJay

EJay Scout Team

I'm pretty sure he's not going any higher than the 2nd round. As you said, the RB position isn't valued like it used to be.

18. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I think it depends on a couple things like how he measures at the combine and how much teams value the pick. I could see a team like the Giants trading back and taking him earlier than expected.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i thought the corner dennard for msu looked really good...very impressed with him...i liked the lb shazier for osu he finds the ball a lot but he tackles high a lot and arm tackles and doesn't always wrap up...looked good in a zone drop and flied to the football...sifted thru trash pretty well

the corner roby is an ankles tackler and small...explosive but i don't see secure tackler

hyde i liked what i saw for the most part...but the massive weight loss makes me wonder if he will keep it off in the pros

there was a dt for osu washington #92 who flied to the ball and was on his horse all game long...flashed well for me

20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Carlos Hyde is a PUNK

21. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

There's a lot of buyer beware for me when it comes to Urban Meyer coached kids on offense. Most of them struggle in the NFL and some never get it. They lack the knowledge of playing the traditional positions they get drafted for. Percy Harvin, for everything everyone says about this guy, and he is explosive, still can't run a simple NFL route tree. It took Alex Smith 8 years before he finally became a decent QB, Aaron Hernandez before his arrest was used in non-conventional ways but when asked to fill in for Gronk after Gronk went down he wasn't nearly as effective...not sure Meyer ever produced a decent WR outside of Harvin. He has produced some good O-lineman for the NFL and some good defensive players but his offensive players, especially at the skill positions, would make me pause.

Hyde had some huge holes to run through. What I don't see is a back that can run parallel to the LOS, find the hole and cut up through that crease to get yards. There just won't be holes that big in the NFL...what kind of vision does he have?

22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i agree with the buyer beware aspects...i was kinda wondering how what i was seeing would translate to the nfl with hyde...

23. EJay

EJay Scout Team

Urban Meyer has never had a RB like Carlos Hyde before. Plus, he didn't recruit him. Hyde is one of the leftovers from the Tressell regime. But Meyer has already stated that he is one best players he's ever coached.

In short, the comment regarding Urban Meyer coached players really isn't valid in this case. Hyde is an old school power back, with deceptive speed and quickness. He breaks tackles, can catch the ball out of the backfield, and he can block.

If you had seen Hyde play extensively this season, you wouldn't have made the same comments. Every single player that comes into the NFL has question marks about them and there's no guarantee anybody will pan out. However, the concerns expressed here are bogus.

24. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

He said the same about Tebow dude. He's a salesman. And by your comments I'm assuming your an OSU fan...Am I right?

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

so the massive weight loss is not something to be concerned with??? concerns about keeping it off in the pros are unfounded i take it

i dont really care about the urban meyer thing but i think the system hyde plays in gives me some pause as to how it will translate...i expect a bigger learning curve with hyde in the nfl

26. EJay

EJay Scout Team

You assume that, why? Because I have seen and know more about Hyde than you? Or because I disagree with you? Either way, it's an incorrect assumption.

So now a new concern is being entered into the discussion? The weight thing wasn't previously mentioned. If you have concern over that, I don't necessarily think it's unfounded. I can see the reasoning behind it. I simply stated that the 'Urban Meyer' coached players reasoning was unfounded and provided some reasoning why.

As for your 2nd comment, to what 'system' do you refer? A running system? The kid mostly runs between the tackles. How exactly does that not translate to the NFL? If you don't believe he will be able to break tackles and/or drag defenders in the pros as he has done in college, I can understand the concern. But I don't share the concern because tackling in the NFL is a lost art anyway. This kid has the size, strength and power that allows him to break through arm tackles or those that do not wrap up. He gets better as the game goes on and defenses tire out.

27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i said in my first post that the weight loss was something that has to be considered going forward as in can he keep it off...i think he can run between the tackles i just think there will be a learning curve off what i saw vs michigan state at least with how ohio state went about things vs transitioning into our offense for instance...

i havent seen the kid all that much either and i fully acknowledge that...just some initial takes

28. EJay

EJay Scout Team

My apology, I didn't see your earlier reference.

29. ronnieb_23

ronnieb_23 Rookie

If Hyde is available in the middle rounds I would take him. I don't care if he is 3rd string for the first year but his vision, power, balance, and feet for a big guy his size is pretty dam good. He did have his one little slip up and took a 3 game suspension for it and after he has some big games he shows some emotion and you can see how much the game means to him. I am an Ohio State fan and I am very disappointed that this is his last year with the team.

30. Gamble

Gamble FinHeaven VIP

If you're tired of the Do;phins being stopped on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 then Hyde is your man. He's a beast on short yardage.

31. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I like Carlos Hyde, but I think Miami can wait and get a back like James Wilder Jr. I still think Lamar Miller can be good with a better line in front of him.

32. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

wait for middle rounds for RB please. premiums on RB are dropping....

33. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

I really like Hyde and I honestly think RB needs to be a priority. Unfortunately I don't see a lot of solid power backs in this draft and I'm always hesitant to pull the trigger on a back in the top 2 rounds and I'm not sure if Hyde would fall to 3, if he did I think he's at the top of my list, we need a bruiser. I also like Andre Brown in free agency.

34. MacGruber1

MacGruber1 Disgusted Nationals Fan

Sure plays big. Love watching that guy. But at 205 not sure its what Phins need.

35. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

I would grab him in the third no question. miller and hyde would be deadly imo [video=youtube;qrImF-MBEj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrImF-MBEj4[/video]

36. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Good to see you on the bandwagon, Datruth!

I don't see Phibin taking him, but somebody will get a steal.

37. dahlmarino

dahlmarino Hating The Jets With A Passion Since '84

I think we could get Hyde in the 4th, honestly, unless his combine numbers are incredible. That being said, even if he's one-dimensional Hyde would be an asset here. Even in the pros he'll be a load to bring down and the dude has some serious power. And right now we could use that powerback, even if it is just for 3rd and short/goal line situations.

38. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Would much rather have Mason

39. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I can tell you as on Ohio State fan who has been watching them since the Eddie George days and even a bit earlier. This guy is the best RB OSU has had since George. Dude churns his legs like nobody else in college ball. He hits the first guy and knocks him back, then takes 3-4 guys to get him down. He has plenty of speed and quickness. Honestly he kinda reminds me of Frank Gore. I really really hope we pick him up. He has the potential to be a top5 RB ala Lynch. Get him please new GM.

40. crossfit93

My only concern with Hyde is his pass blocking skills. I've watched him play a few times and have red conflicting reports on his pass blocking, but I want to know for sure. Anyone know?

41. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

Gordon and Seastrunk are the best in the class IMO. Probably both go before our pick in the 2nd round though. I think this offense needs a good strong runningback. I dont care if he's a 220 lb "power back"..I think those guys are overrated around here right now because we couldnt every pick up a 3rd and short. We need a solid RB period to pair with Miller.

"Good" running backs aren't exactly at a premium. I would absolutely be fine with waiting until the 3rd round or later to get a quality back. However, dont underestimate stud RBs. IMO Gordon and Seastrunk are studs. As in potential 1200-1500 yd backs behind a solid O-line...those guys will get picked in the 1st or 2nd round probably and rightfully so.

42. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Gordon is not coming out.

43. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

Ah hadnt heard. Thanks for that.

44. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I mean, you're right otherwise. But yeah, he returned to Wiscy.

45. Kebo

Kebo I'm your huckleberry

Crowell is awesome, too bad he has a vagina. He will tap out faster than me in a UFC fight.:lol:

46. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

Carlos Hyde will not be on the Dolphins draft board. And neither will Jeremy Hill or Crowell

47. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

I still think Crowell is the best back in the class. Even though 90% chance Miami takes him off their board.