Case for Gase or Gase a disgrace?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by levv151, Jan 4, 2018.

1. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

I see many threads on this topic and I wanted to have one central sounding board for people from either side of the coin to discuss. I think he has made a lot of mistakes but I am so sick of instability here that I think he deserves another season. If they tank next year or even marginally below expectations, then I think he'll be gone...ready, set go...ATTACK...or DEFEND...

2. randomname

randomname A True Fan

We can't erase every trace
    That Gase in lace is still a disgrace
    I'd displace his face with a mace
    Knocking him into space so fast your heart would race

Sorry I have no opinion I just wanted to rhyme too.

3. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

It was awesome...very Dr. Suess...I did not like his aqua scheme, it all was one big dumb pipe dream, his bubble screens were a joke, our Offensive line coach snorted coke, Our QB was Tim Tebow on crack, I want this f#*ing season back...

Third Eye and royalshank like this.
  4. Hooligan

Hooligan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Of course he'll be here another two years at least, we recognize that this is on the job training and the hope is that he learns from his mistakes. We've had a string of unsuccessful rookie HCs going all the way back to Wanny so, the trend is not favorable for success.
    All in the hope of finding the next young Don Shula, forgetting that Shula had previous HC experience and, had been to a Superbowl.
    Gase is young and unproven and with that at a disadvantage when dealing with multimillionaire egomaniacs not much younger than himself. The my-way-or-the-highway approach will rarely work with your most passionate players. Drake may turn out to be an upgrade for the team but, he'll be watching Ajayi on TV in the play-offs. You can't get rid of all the guys with chips on their shoulders, you want guys like that playing for you or we'll be playing the regular season with pre-season quality teams.

levv151 likes this.
  5. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

In all honestly, I just don't know. After year one, I thought he was a rising star in the coaching world. After year two, it doesn't look so good.

Upon his hiring, I had two major concerns.

1. Experience/Age -- I have nothing against hiring young coaches. I think Don Shula was 33 when he first became a coach. My concern, though, was whether he had enough coaching experience to attract quality coaches to his staff. So far this has seemingly been a problem. I think Miami's coaching staff is below average. This has been especially prevalent in the lack of development on the offensive line. The Forester situation really hurt this team. That said, he does seem to have a great connection with players, meaning as some of those guys retire maybe they could make good coaches for Gase. A guy like Peyton Manning as an example.

2. Player Connection --- When I first read that Gase was a players coach, I thought that was great. Then, you started hearing about how he could ham it up with players etc., and I started to wonder if he would be able to establish himself as Mr. Authority so to speak. Well, early returns on this were certainly in his favor as Gase made quick decisions on players and seemed to make all the right moves and pushed all the right buttons. Players played hard for him.

My current concern:

1. Will he ever be able to implement his style of offense? From the beginning, Gase talked about a fast paced offense, but he hasn't been able to achieve that. Is it because of the extreme lack of talent on the offensive line, a lack of a quality tight end, or is this a coaching issue?

2.. The perceived lack of discipline. Miami led the league in penalties and were among the worst teams in the turnover ratio. A lot of the problems seemed to be on the offensive line. Was it lack of coaching there?

3. Talent evaluation. Signing Cutler, IMO, was a big mistake. The team got a few really good games out of Cutler, but he mostly played like a bottom-tier quarterback and was a big part of the turnover issue. There had to be better options out there. Plus, Gase has to take part of the blame for dumpster diving for offensive linemen. That, more than anything, doomed 2017.

levv151 likes this.
  6. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Season 1 for me the arrow was pointing an exciting "straight up")
    Last season it was pointing nearly but not entirely straight down

So for me, the cumulative Gase arrow is a tad above sideways

ac_lanham, levv151 and royalshank like this.
  7. fin415

fin415 Rookie Finheaven VIP

I'm in the give Gase and the FO time to get their rhythm camp. Yes, that means we'll have some bad years, and if that's what it takes for us to discover and fine tune our system that A) gets us playing better each year; B) Builds enough resiliency into the system that a coach leaving or a key player getting hurt doesn't kill an entire season; C) we become a destination team where players want to come here; I'm ok with that. Basically, I want us to find the equivalent of what the Steelers and Patriots have, and what we had back in the Shula days.

levv151 likes this.
  8. superphin

superphin Starter Finheaven VIP

I think Gase is probably the best coach we've had in the last 15 years but unfortunately thats not exactly that big of an accomplishment. We don't have to go to the playoffs next year but a winning record would be s step in right direction. If we don't have at least a winning season I'm ready to move on.

levv151, fin415 and royalshank like this.
  9. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

The case for Gase? Don't try to replace.
    Good coaches are as important as winning the race to space!
    He was on the case, but had tribulations to face.
    Give him time. Let him build his base.
    The Sad Gase Face will disappear without a trace.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    levv151 likes this.
  10. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

He’s closer to starring in a future edition of Black Monday than he is leading Miami back to the playoffs. He gets rid of an OC basically for all his mistakes since you know Gase calls all the plays. And of course he’s bringing in the whole Chicago staff to Miami. I would not be surprised if he lets Landry walk.

thefieds and levv151 like this.
  11. sleek

sleek $$UNDERDOG$$

-MURDER WAS THE GASE-
    As Tanny looks up at the sky
    Our Olines trippin, a tear drops my eye
    As our roster starts to fall
    I'm shakin and Tannebaum's stankin tryin to save the Dolphins
    Pumpin on my chest and I'm screamin
    I stop breathin, damn I see Cutler
    Dear God, I wonder can ya save me
    I can't die the Dolphins are my favorite baby
    I think it's too late for prayin, hold up
    Adam Gase spoke to me and he slowly started sayin
    "Bring your season to me I'll make it better"
    How long will win?
    "This season and forever"
    And will be, the team that we was?
    "I'll make your season better than you can imagine or even dreamed of
    So relax your soul, let Jay Cutler take control
    Close your eyes my son"
    My eyes are closed
    Murder... murder thru Culter was what Gase gave me

12. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

You get points just for the "Name" of the thread! "Randomname" gets honorable mention!

As for my opinion, I'm with you he's young and as long as he's learning. At least we seem some signs. I was stoked after the Patriots second game but I'm sure most were. Then only disappointment afterwords as the team and players seem to take two steps back. This team is desperately in need of some "good fortune" for change.

levv151 likes this.
  13. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm not concerned about the penalties so much. The actual league leader in penalties was the Seattle Seahawks, and nobody thinks Pete Carroll doesn't have control of his team. We should expect that to get better and I'm expecting it to.

The guy took us to the playoffs last year when none of us expected it. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and thinking he will turn this around. I'm definitely disappointed about this year, but not ready to give up on him yet.

russst, levv151, ChrisTRD and 2 others like this.
  14. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

This is not an attack, but who would you suggest the team goes after? I mean I am so sick and tired of mediocrity. I want another Don Shula and I want him now! I just don't know who that is…

levv151 and 1 dol fan like this.
  15. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

I am strongly of the opinion that you misunderstand my rhyme, kind sir.

I edited it. Hopefully that elucidates.

levv151 likes this.
  16. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I understand your logic. I had to think about it too. I'm pretty sure there spots where he had to rhyme so he cited the question.

17. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

I was willing to gove him more time after the NE beat down. However, after Gase has gone off and hired his Chicago buddies, **** Gase and the whole team. Chicago has been worthless for decades. We are nothing more than a place for failed Bears and Bengals to come. You watch, Jon Gruden will turn the Raiders around next year. Jon is a good coach; Gase, not so much.

levv151 and gofins60 like this.
  18. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

This team always has an execution problem. No effort, not heart no will to win. Doesn’t matter who the coach is. Maybe it’s the laid back south Florida community life or something. These guys get rich, live in gated communities that are like retirement villages for rich folks. And they have kids and shop at Whole Foods and get very very soft. There needs to be a work ethic instilled in these guys that when they hit that practice facility that powderpuff world gets forgotten and they have a hard job to do and this is not retirement. Everybody is just feeding at the table cutting up a big fat delicious pie. The coach needs to change that mentality.

levv151 likes this.
  19. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He's going to be the HC for the 2018 season and we'll see what happens. I like some of the things he's done and I don't like some of the things he's done but he's the coach for next season and I will root for him

Ozzy rules!!

levv151 likes this.
  20. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I still believe he is an up and coming coach that will take us far. We had so mamy bad things happen this year on top of a really tough schedule and no bye week and a sophomore season for the coach. We all know that in every sport the first year you sometimes get over because nobody knows you yet, but that second year you better watch out. This goes for coaching too imo. Typically those that excel early, even if they have a bad second year, have a good career. Its less likely if you start bad and expect to improve. You got it or you don't and it usually shows right away.

levv151 likes this.
  21. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

Gase will take us nowhere but down the path of mediocrity. Coupled with our notorious front office, it is all doomed to be blown up.

Problems I have with Gase

Egomaniac
    Control freak on offense
    Stubborn
    Too buddy buddy with players
    Tries to be cool with the players
    Commands little respect
    Players do not fear him
    Talks the talk. Doesn't walk it
    Penalties and lack of discipline on him
    Hires poor assistants
    Hires assistants who won't question his inexperience
    Takes too much time with offense and not the rest
    Should get best coordinators and let them coach
    Not a natural leader
    Abandons running game
    Same plays and game plans
    Team is not ready to play
    Predictable
    Megalomaniac

thefieds, elite14eva and levv151 like this.
  22. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

I have much more confidence in Gase than internet fan boy.

Birdmond, levv151 and kevphin like this.
  23. fin415

fin415 Rookie Finheaven VIP

That is exactly IT. Everyone wants him and the wins that go with it NOW. But other than Belichick, what coach even comes close to offering that?????

We hired a FIRST TIME head coach. He is going to learn on the job, just like Shula and Belichick got time to learn when they got their first teams. Will Gase turn out to be the next Shula -- we only get to know that in a couple of years and we'll never find out if he's expected to live up to those standards day one and the first time we have some adversity, we move on to the next guy.

levv151 likes this.
  24. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

I am hearing rumors that after the Belichick/Brady/Kraft fiasco, Bill was hands off in the Miami game and left Tom out to dry...not sure if it's true but holy hell I love even the mere thought of this....MUHAHAHAHAHAAA!!

25. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

LOL, keeps his head down...up til 4 am...of course he did...he was snorting blow and geeked up!!! lol

1 dol fan likes this.
  26. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

I'm not so sold on Gruden...I mean when he was with the Raiders he did well but he won the SB with an inherited Dungy team in Tampa...I'm just not so into Gruden...plus he always makes microphone love to the other team playing the Phins on MNF but hardly even mentions when we have an explosive play...drives me nuts...

27. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

Totally agree...not to talk about the Pats b/c i hate them almost as much as cancer; but in 2003 Belichick was given full reigns and got everyone from top down to buy into his philosophy...case in point, Lawyer Milloy wouldn't take a pay cut...team captain..cut...see ya, my way or the highway...late for practice you don't play, period...make a big mistake off the field, your cut...have to admire this approach and this trust from the owner...

fin415 likes this.
  28. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

He deserves another season because he himself is developing as a coach..
    But also because of the Tannehill mistake.

If things flop in 18'...he is gone.

29. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Are you calling Tannehill a mistake? That will get you tarred and feathered around here. LOL.

30. phinking

phinking A True Fan

Stephen Ross himself said he was giving Gase 3 years to right the ship. 2018 will be the 3rd year. I was not happy with the befuddled look on his face at times this past season. I am getting the feeling the game may be too big for him. i hope I'm wrong though. This offense was supposed to be the unit that would carry this team. instead, it was the unit that sabotaged it. The stupid penalties are inexcusable.

31. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

I continue to have a positive opinion about Coach Gase. There are many reasons for my opinion, but I am going to focus on the most obvious one. Coach Gase is not our OC! Many of you want to ignore the fact the the OC has to manage all of the position coaches, have one on one time for offensive players, train the players on the game plan, oversee each position group,. Most of the time the OC calls the plays and interacts during the game with the QB. That is not true when the head coach calls the plays. This is the fun part about being an OC, but it is the smallest portion of the OCs.

Most of the criticism has been about the execution of the offense. The OC is the one that is failing, but for some reason some of yo do not recognize that the OC was Christensen.

fin415 likes this.