CBS Sports: Which draft slot offers teams most success? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CBS Sports: Which draft slot offers teams most success?

SWS84

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted yet and thought it was an interesting read. It's a recent article by Will Brinson for CBS Sports where they looked at the success of each 1st round pick from 2002 to 2013 to see if there was a tangible benefit to selecting higher in the draft. Not real happy from what I saw regarding the 19th pick, but hey, you never know, right? Or maybe we need to do the obvious and try like hell to trade back to the 24th pick. Lets go with the odds. :-)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24551435/nfl-draft-which-draft-slot-offers-teams-most-success

19th Overall

The Good: Antonio Cromartie (2006, CarAV 52) -- Cromartie is a national treasure.

The Bad: Jeff Otah (2008, CarAV 13) -- The crazy thing is at one point Marty Hurney's decision to trade back up into the first round and grab Otah looked smart. No, really. I promise.

It's an interesting slot this year at #19- not quite high enough to get what we really want, but quality players are there- best guess BPA or trade down. The #50 pick in the 2nd round seems almost like a bigger problem to me, the coveted 2nd rd OL and WRs are going to be picked off imo before we pick at #50. I like Zack Martin quite a bit, I like WR Brandin Cooks, I like Cyrus Koundjio more than most- but I'm seeing a starting RT where few others are looking- Matt Patchan from Boston College. Healthy now, powerful, athletic, great size. Dide is healthy now and dude can play. Uber blue chip prospect coming out of high school, dude can play.

1. WR Brandin Cooks
2. OLB Kyle Van Noy
3. OG Trai Turner
4. DE James Gayle
5. MLB Preston Brown
6. OT Matt Patchan
7. OT Wesley Johnson

I'd also keep an eye on WR John Brown and OG Zach Fulton in the 7th round. Part of me prefers Fulton over Johnson, but Johnson gets the nod because of Patchan's injury history.

It's an interesting slot this year at #19- not quite high enough to get what we really want, but quality players are there- best guess BPA or trade down. The #50 pick in the 2nd round seems almost like a bigger problem to me, the coveted 2nd rd OL and WRs are going to be picked off imo before we pick at #50. I like Zack Martin quite a bit, I like WR Brandin Cooks, I like Cyrus Koundjio more than most- but I'm seeing a starting RT where few others are looking- Matt Patchan from Boston College. Healthy now, powerful, athletic, great size. Dide is healthy now and dude can play. Uber blue chip prospect coming out of high school, dude can play.

1. WR Brandin Cooks
2. OLB Kyle Van Noy
3. OG Trai Turner
4. DE James Gayle
5. MLB Preston Brown
6. OT Matt Patchan
7. OT Wesley Johnson

I'd also keep an eye on WR John Brown and OG Zach Fulton in the 7th round. Part of me prefers Fulton over Johnson, but Johnson gets the nod because of Patchan's injury history.

Similar to mine.. i love your second/third round picks… but i would draft Shazier in the first round. LB overhaul. Our Lb could be Jenkins Shazier Van Noy in 2015.

1. WR Brandin Cooks
2. OLB Kyle Van Noy
3. OG Trai Turner
4. DE James Gayle
5. MLB Preston Brown
6. OT Matt Patchan
7. OT Wesley Johnson

So who's your starting RT and LG on opening day for the Fins? Nate Garner?

Starting RT - Justin Britt
Starting RG - Cyril Richardson

Draft picks:
1. Brandon Cooks - WR
2. Chris Borland - ILB
3. Cyril Richardson- OG
4. Robert Herron - WR
5 Storm Johnson - RB
6. Justin Britt - OT
7. Sentreal Henderson - OT

Back
Top Bottom