Chad Henne performance clouded by drops

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sherif, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

I thought Henne dumped off underneath too much. He didn't move the team. I'll give him credit for 3 dropped passes, 1 by Hartline and 2 by Marshall, and thank goodness, Ricky dropped that pathetic dumpoff screen. He had plenty of time to throw downfield and he played well into the second quarter, but time after time he threw underneath. Overall a below average performance. Just like last years 12 TD 14 INT performance.

2. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

Hopefully he will take more shots down the field in the next game.

3. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

This was a very ridiculous statement.

4. EaTiNgCrOw

EaTiNgCrOw Banned Hammered

Yea it kind of struck a nerve with me too...I suppose the OP would like us to stick Thigpen in as the starter because he NEVER checks down and ALWAYS goes for the deep ball huh? Because thats just much more exciting to watch, regardless of how it turns out. This post is babble.

5. da305kid

da305kid Well-Known Member

Ignorance is bliss...

6. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

I guess we should've drafted drew brees, and turn this into a drew brees thread.

7. ReyArturo78

ReyArturo78 Rookie

I think he actually played pretty well... Everyone keeps saying he played bad because he went 5 of 9 for only 19 yards (I think it was 19) but if Brandon Marshal catches those very catch-able passes (the second drop was especially well thrown it was right in his hands with a bit of touch in wide open field) and if Hartline catches the one pass he dropped although admittedly his wasn't as well thrown, it becomes 8 of 11 (which is 73%) for about 60 yards and that's not including the potential yac that BM is exalted for. Furthermore on of those checkdowns was a pass to Ricky Williams for no gain, but on that play there was a blitzer that came in untouched. The fact that he got off a pass and gave his running back a chance to make a play instead of succumbing to the pressure given he only had about a second is pretty good...

I'll take 8/11 for 60 yards in the first preseason game in a rainy and muddy field any day!

8. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

How moronic of our coaching staff to not let Chad Henne show off all of our best offensive plays in week one of pre-season.

Seriously. Base offense and defense last night. Chad was fine, the conditions sucked, can we not go crazy after the first pre-season game?

9. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

Henne is a ham and egger.. I know everyone wants to believe that he is the answer but I think his flaws are not correctable.

He has suspect deep ball accuracy, touch, and pocket presence.

Wildbill3 likes this.
  10. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

:quiet: OMG

[​IMG]

11. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

I'm noticing a trend with your posts.

They all suck.

12. Strangeworld

Attack my argument instead of me... Just because I don't wave my pom poms in the air doesn't mean I am not a fan.

The fact of the mater is Henne has serious flaws in his game

13. EvilDylan

I did attack your argument. It sucks.

support your claims with proof please.

suspect deep ball accuracy? its not one hundred percent but its not bad either. when your only deep threat does nothing but drop balls your percentage will suffer.

touch is something that is easily corrected and according to reports his touch has improved.

pocket presence perhaps you should define because most would say his presence is fine. he stands firm to make his pass even with someone in his face.

Wildbill3 likes this.
  14. Strangeworld

You're right... he doesn't have any issues with the aforementioned.

His deep ball accuracy, touch, and pocket presence are of no concern.

I feel better already.

15. EvilDylan

Way to back up your arguments with proof. You have now established amazing credibility. Bravo

16. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

I didn't see improved touch last night. In fact I saw the same Qb from last year, albeit we only saw a little over one quarter.

Henne locks onto his main target, if that guy is not open he'll dump-off. If the dump-off is covered, or there is no dump-off he panics. It's the same story each time.

He doesn't go through all his reads, he doesn't pumpfake, shift a safety with his head/eyes, and his throwing motion is long. He's the equivalent of a closer with one pitch, a fastball.

17. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, but that's all that they are and should always be accompanied by an "IMO" Me, I'd rather trust the informed opinions of successful QBs, and sundry folks closely associated with the game than with fellow fans 3000 miles removed from the action.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  18. EvilDylan

I've seen plenty of times when he has gone through all of his reads then dump down. Sometimes you don't hav e time to go through every read if there's pressure.

So you're telling me that a safety can see the QB's eyes from 20-30 yards down the field through his mask and he is basing his position on that. LOL right

Sure no pump fake, and you think that's something that can't be integrated into his game? You can only work on correcting so much at once. Henne is young and he has plenty of time to learn.

19. EaTiNgCrOw

EaTiNgCrOw Banned Hammered

Theres no sense arguing with that guy, he is one of the most notorious "Doom and Gloomer"s on FH. They say outlanding things, that way if something completely outrageous happens and they become "correct", then they can say "I told you so" to the entire forum. It's not worth your breath, they just look at the negatives.

20. dolfan121

dolfan121 WE SHALL OVERCOME!

I agree

21. EvilDylan

You would seem to be correct sir.

I can't believe all the doom and gloom posts after just one preseason game. It's like everyone is in hibernation during the offseason and when we don't obliterate another team we suck and need to cut everyone. Ridiculous.

22. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

Trust me when I tell you, your posts are VERY evident of that.

23. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

I did see some inaccuracy in the medium to long range passes last year. Specifically against Tenn., he was off the mark when he threw into the endzone. When playing from behind, he's not a great choice to carry the team. He also had trouble against the Texans and Pittsburg. Each of the last four games, he was asked to play from behind the flaws bla bla and Palma mentioned did appear. Not good pocket awarness, rushes passes and doesn't give his receivers time to get open when he has protection, poor peripherial vision and does lock on to a receiver. I love Henne to death, he really has great zip on the ball, but his accuracy and touch are suspect...so far he is average.

24. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

I thought Henne looked pretty good..He hit his Wr's in there hands..Its pretty rare for Marshall and Hartline to have 3 drops in the first quarter..

I didnt like the way he was throwing the short balls..They were too low..Looked to me like he was trying way to hard to throw the ball soft..The pass where the pass flutterd out of his hands was really bad..But that was more to do with the weather than anything else...

If your a dolphin fan and your panicing off of that game..or if your a rival fan and wanna point to that game as to whats going to happen in the future you have another thing coming...

The Dolphins are for real ...

25. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Henne played his best football when coming from behind. I'm no Henne fan, but I've criticized him for being the exact opposite of what you are saying, and given that Henne brought us back from many deficits last year, only then to blow it, I don't think you're basing your critique on reality.

26. Strangeworld

What's your assessment of Henne's performance? What type of ceiling do you think he has?

27. XxfeensterxX

XxfeensterxX FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Basing a performance off a 10 play or so playbook of the most basic plays we have, not to mention in HORRIBLE weather (especially when Henne was in, it was pouring out). Henne is going to be fine and is going to be a really good QB this year.

Henne can be a GREAT QB eventually. His ceiling is as high if not higher then any of the other young QB's in the league.

28. JRoX85

JRoX85 Well-Known Member

Epic fail thread where is the facepalm when he needs it..........
    I am sorry our receivers dropped three well thrown balls in rainy muddy conditions, he should have been 8-11 for some nice yardage esp that one to B-Marsh in the open field with room to run.... Jump on the thygpen wagon why don't ya see how far that gets ya oh wait it will end like the Steelers game last yr with multiple picks.. Henne is in his 2nd year dude, he will progress. This thread is as bad as the guys last year saying Pat White should start....

29. Geordie

Geordie A True Fan

Why is it, that the minute someone dares to be critical of Henne, all the Fanbois (and there's plenty of them on here) jump up in arms and attack the poster ?

Look, just because you are yet to be convinced that Henne is the next great thing doesn't mean you are not a Dolphins fan or wouldn't be overjoyed for him to show us he is.

Fact of the matter is, he's got a huge amount to prove, and this is the year he has to prove it, no more excuses. I'm hoping he'll do that, but the Bucs game was not a good start, we need to see big improvement between now and the start of the season, to be confident of a good year.

30. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Criticizing Henne and devoting every post to bashing him regardless of whether the situation warrants it or not is totally different. Criticizing Henne for the Bucs game is laughable to say the least. He had good touch on the few throws downfield. It's not his fault the WR's dropped 3 balls, and the RB's two more. It's not his fault the couple screens he threw had awful blocking. If only he threw it down field every time like Thigpen, then maybe he'd be as terrible a QB as Thigpen.

I'm just hoping to see you, bla bla bla and the rest eat crow after the season. Personally, I'm not expecting it, especially from a guy like bla bla bla who specializes in throwing **** at the wall and hoping to say I told you so if it sticks.

31. Strangeworld

So says the man who thinks Henne does NOT have concerns with the aforementioned areas of his game... they are KNOWN issues with him.

32. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

to me it looked like he wasnt getting a good grip with the mud and it being wet imo, and didnt want to take a chance. it slipped out of his hand a couple of times

33. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

i also think it has alot to do with the coachs only giving him 3.5 seconds to get the ball out in practice, which will cause you to lock onto a wr.

34. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I saw alot of the first half, I think he looked very uncomfortable in that rain but he did have a few drops that made his night look worse. All that really matters is he got a little work in and came out of the game healthy.

35. qmar

qmar Well-Known Member

My analysis of Henne:

You can see he is trying to work on his touch. Working on it and perfecting it are two totally different things, so Henne will be behind in this area for awhile until he is able to use it more. The encouraging sign is that he took velocity off of a couple of his short balls trying to lob it in there which you NEVER saw last year. Now the accuracy on those touch passes left little to be excited for, but he will work on it and either get or not. At least he's working on it.

Good throws to Marshall, the 1st was in very tight coverage, but Marshall will still usually come down with that. Pass #2 to Marshall was perfectly thrown. These are the patterns that Henne has always excelled at, deep down the middle (crossing or post patterns).

Looked a little shaky in the pocket, but I have always thought his pocket presence was above average, so I think this had more to do with playing in the dirt and on a wet field.

Didn't go through all progressions on every play, not easy to do, but still has some work to do on this. If WR 1 isn't open, you don't automatically check down to your RB b/c we have other WR's that can catch the ball. He needs to be able to go through at least 2 WR/TE reads before checking down (unless the pressure is too much).

Overall, it was very difficult to evaluate Henne's overall performance due to the weather which probably drove the very vanilla offense. I saw maybe just a slight improvement from last year but it's still encouraging to see him working on his touch passes on 5 yard throws. Not calling him our saviour yet, but also not bashing him saying he will fail. I think both sides are wrong, it's just too early to tell.

36. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

It was everyone's first game action in over 7 months. Hard to say anyone's lackluster performance was anything more than jitters at this point. If the trend continues into several preseason games, THEN we'll have something to talk about.

37. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

Henne will be fine, people on this board need to stop overreacting...i know its not gonna happen but it gets ridiculous. It was a limited playbook and they played for the first time in 7 months in sloppy conditions. No doubt Henne has things to work on but lets not blow it out of proportion...

38. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Henne did not perform well contrary to what some might say.

His ball placement was spotty. He continued checking down to guys that were either not open, or only a couple of yards beyond the LOS. His deepest throws were the 15 yard diig to Marshall, who dropped it, and the 15 yard pass to Hartline on 3rd & 10.

But otherwise, he made mistakes.

Hartline runs a drag and Henne puts the ball so low that he can't get YAC.

He sails one about 6 feet above David Martin's head in the short sone.

He rolled out and had Fasano out front open and good for 10 yards, or David Martin rolling with them and right in Henne's sight lines about 10 yards deeper down the field than Fasano. Henne threw it to Fasano.

Like someone mentioned that dumpoff to Ricky where he was well covered and Ricky let the ball dribble out of his hands rather than take the loss, Henne should have found something better to do with the football.

Then there's another flare he throws to Ricky, but it was actually a lateral and it was the wrong call for the zone defense that the Bucs were showing pre-snap (Davone Bess was in motion to see if anyone is covering him in man, nobody was, it was all pure zone.

That 1-step slant that Marshall "dropped" was really an ill-placed ball by Henne, which allowed E.J. Biggers to get his hands all inside where Marshall was trying to catch it, and on further review it wasn't a drop so much as Biggers made a good play and locked Marshall's hands so that he couldn't haul it in.

Even if you look at one of his two best throws of the night, the deep dig that Marshall dropped, the Dolphins had both Marshall and Hartline singled up on DBs and the guy covering Hartline couldn't handle his speed, Henne could have pushed that ball vertically and had Hartline run under it. He chose the 15 yarder to Marshall instead.

It just wasn't a good day for him. Even if you add back the three catches, one of which I do not agree with adding back (the slant), he'd end up what, 8 of 11 for 60 yards? That's 5.5 YPA with no touchdowns or even field goals scored.

It was a bad performance by Henne. He needs to pick it up.

39. EvilDylan

Once again, you post with nothing to back up your arguments.

If they are such well KNOWN problems then you should be able to provide me some data to back up your claims. If you can't then your post are moot.

40. RobertHorry

RobertHorry Scout Team

I don't agree with the 1 step Marshall slant. TB had a safety sitting on the slant if Henne threw it in front of Marshall. Marshall had Biggers on his hips and the safety in front of him. If Henne leads Marshall, the ball is picked by the safety. By throwing it a little behind Marshall, he takes away the safety and gives Marshall the chance to catch it. Marshall needs to catch that ball.

I agree with everything else you said though.