Chad Pennington vs Kellen Moore | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Pennington vs Kellen Moore

fininpsl

Active Roster
Reaction score
They seem like similar QB's to me, yet Moore is lightly regarded, and Pennington was drafted in the first round. Pennington was a bit taller (6-3 vs 6-1), but otherwise neither has/had much of an arm, and depended on timing and pinpoint accuracy to complete throws. Both are/were great game managers that take care of the football and threw for a very high completion rates. Both players are team leaders. Both high IQ guys. Both had prodigious stats in college. What am I missing??? He's going to be around late on the third day. Is he somebody we could draft to at least be a back-up option at QB? Is there any possibility he could replicate Pennington's success in the NFL playing a similar style of QB?

I think Pennington threw harder. Pennington velocity was OK until the surgeries started. Moore takes about 3 seconds just for the ball to land.

Kellen Clemens is nowhere near the QB Pennington was even after Pennington had surgery. Pennington had perfect ball placement, very smart and was a big time leader.

I think Pennington threw harder. Pennington velocity was OK until the surgeries started. Moore takes about 3 seconds just for the ball to land.

I wondered about that. I didn't really pay much attention to CP coming out of college. That would explain the difference in attention coming out. Thanks for the 411. I know that Steve Walsh was similar in that he had to have perfect accuracy and rely on timing cause he just didn't have much of an arm. He'll admit that himself, and with the speed of the game in the NFL, it makes it much more difficult for a pop-gun arm QB to make it in the NFL even when they were highly decorated in CFB.

Pennington had a stronger arm coming out and also pretty good mobility. I think Moore is the type who could outperform his draft status, but he's fighting an uphill battle.

Pennington was 6'-3" 225 and Moore is 6'-0" 190. In the NFL, that's a huge gap for a QB.

Moore is an out of shape 190 lbs. He doesn't even look like a football player. He has a great sense of anticipation and great timing on his throws.
If he was 3 inches taller, and took training seriously, he could have been a even better players in college. It is amazing that he accomplished all that he has.
He believe he can throw the ball 50-60 yards, but he has to put a higher trajectory on it allowing the secondary to react.
In a controlled short passing game he can be effective coming off the bench. He would a be a real good back up QB.

Pennington was a legit starter with a slightly weaker arm than you would want, but he made up for it with timing, accuracy, and intelligence.
Pennington might have had a better legacy if it wasn't for the injuries. That man is going to be a cripple when he gets into his 60's.

Moore is 5'11", 195 pounds. Chad Pennington was 6'3", 230. There's a tremendous difference in size there.

Secondly, Pennington's arm was much, much stronger than than Kellen Moore's. Kellen Moore has one of the weakest arms I've ever evaluated on a Division-1 college quarterback. It's weaker than Ken Dorsey's arm.

Pennington threw deep balls to Randy Moss in college...and Moss couldn't outrun his arm. Chad Pennington was an entirely different caliber physically from Kellen Moore. They're not comparable prospects.

chads arm was alot stronger. moore has great anticipation tho, but that wont help him

Back
Top Bottom