Chance Warmack at 12? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chance Warmack at 12?

AceofSpades

Scout Team
Reaction score
What would people think about drafting Chance Warmack at 12? Guard certainly isn't a glamour position, and the pick wouldn't add a much-needed skill position weapon or pass rusher. But it seems that a lot of people think he's the best player in the draft - and there is a decent chance he'll be around at 12.

A lot of people wouldn't like to see us take an offensive lineman. However, Warmack would be a great pick IMO. The guy is going to be dominate. If he is the BPA at #12, I would be OK with it. I would be thrilled with him if we could trade back a bit with someone like Dallas @18 and pick up another 2nd as well.

Someone at my house will be getting injured if this happens.

ONLY if we blow up during FA, meaning at least 2 starting WR, CB, DE, ect. and even then it's only a maybe, we are in dire need of playmakers, however I will say that i was wrong when we got Pouncey, who i thought was a bad pick at the time has turned out to be a very good move, so it's possible but I still think playmaker is a must draft @12

Doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme. Doubt we take him if he is there.

If we go guard and stick with this zone scheme over a power running game, then i'd rather trade down and pick Jonathan Cooper while picking up another 2nd or 3rd rounder. Cooper is perfect for a zone scheme and REALLY good.

I think Warmack could fit in a power and a zone blocking scheme. He moves very well for a big guy and flat out dominated every time I watched Alabama and got to the second level pretty effortlessly. If Miami is able to get say Wallace and Finley in free agency then Warmack could make sense. I also wonder if he could play RT? I know he's not that tall, a shade under 6-3 I believe. But if the Dolphins lose Long maybe Warmack at RT and Martin at LT?

Listen, that would be a very unpopular pick but the simple fact is that this team has needs at every single position on the field except QB and maybe DT. We can't afford to reach for a skill position player just for the sake of taking one, we need to go BPA and get a valuable long term pro bowl player. If Warmack is the bpa then we should go withWarmack. We have 4 2nd day picks that we need to utilize properly as well.

It wouldn't be a bad pick, it just wouldnt be too sexy of a pick. But I mean Warmack like Pouncey will be a surefire probowler, so we'd know what we would be getting.

Warmack already plays in a zone scheme at Alabama and will be a fit for one at the next level. There appears to be a shortage of accurate evaluation on Chance Warmack.

One of the biggest misconceptions regarding zone to begin with is that the entire O-line zone blocks on every play, which isn't the case at all. You only ZONE from the "BUBBLE" to the next man out towards the callside. APPLY the "Uncovered/'covered" rule: If you are uncovered - zone with teammate towards call. If you are covered - zone with teammate away from the call. If you are BOTH covered - MAN block.

If there's no bubble, nobody zone blocks. The 'drive' block on IZ and reach block on OZ. All of this is made evident on all running plays in Alabama's offense going back prior to Joe Pendry's retirement, and continued on under Saban under other offensive line coaches.

Warmack already plays in a zone scheme at Alabama and will be a fit for one at the next level. There appears to be a shortage of accurate evaluation on Chance Warmack.

One of the biggest misconceptions regarding zone to begin with is that the entire O-line zone blocks on every play, which isn't the case at all. You only ZONE from the "BUBBLE" to the next man out towards the callside. APPLY the "Uncovered/'covered" rule: If you are uncovered - zone with teammate towards call. If you are covered - zone with teammate away from the call. If you are BOTH covered - MAN block.

If there's no bubble, nobody zone blocks. The 'drive' block on IZ and reach block on OZ. All of this is made evident on all running plays in Alabama's offense going back prior to Joe Pendry's retirement, and continued on under Saban under other offensive line coaches.

I agree that Warmack could play in a zone scheme in the NFL and currently plays in one at Bama. My point was, if we go back to a power running game ala Ricky/Ronnie, then Warmack is the top choice hands down....no one even comes close. The next closest guy would probably be Warford from Kentucky, but he lacks the movement skills that Warmack possesses.

But in the zone scheme you can be just as successful with smaller, more athletic guys. In this case Cooper is more than capable. Could Warmack play in the scheme? Sure. Is he a better OG than Cooper? No question. But why spend a #12 overall pick on an OG when this team has so many holes, when you can trade down and select another capable guard and get an additional pick? We needs bodies. One thing Cooper is better at than Warmack are cut blocks. He's very quick and explodes through his cut blocks. He doesn't have Warmack's anchor but does mirror just a tad better in pass blocking from the little tape i watched. Warmack uses his brute strength and reaches more at times. It's nitpicking but you have to do it when looking for weaknesses for elite guys like Warmack. Everything else Warmack is better at. He's a top 10 talent at a non-top 10 position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom