Charles clay getting love as one of most nightmarish matchups? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles clay getting love as one of most nightmarish matchups?

Clay is difficult for a defense not because you don't have anyone on the roster who can cover him (ala Gronkowski or Graham), but because he's versatile enough that if you guess wrong on his alignment (because of his versatility) that you can get hurt for big plays. I'd rather have a tight end who's always a threat in the Graham mold with Clay as a Dwight Clark-esque chess piece but for now he's a major part of what we're doing.

Hopefully we're looking to build on that, though. Eventually teams will catch on to what we do and shut him down. I firmly believe the Jarvis Landy pick was as much about trying to keep teams from keying on Clay as anything. Tannehill loves throwing to the middle of the field and always has. If both Clay and Landry stay healthy I'd expect them both to be in the 700 yard range this year. Maybe more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what it says about Clay

10. Charles Clay, TE, Miami Dolphins

The most surprising response I heard from NFL contacts was Clay. He's not nearly the physically dominant player that others on this list are, but he's wildly versatile. He's nearly 260 pounds, plays from the backfield as a short-yardage ball carrier and lead blocker, can play on the end of the line as a tight end, can flex out into the slot and has terrific catching skills. Any player who can align from so many spots leaves a defensive coordinator wondering how best to slow him down

Always loved those Swiss-Army Knife types.

Drafted him in fantasy last year and he helped me kick alotta a$$.

Clay was the biggest improver last year. When Keller was lost for the season, we were in big trouble and I think it's fair to say that Clay exceeded expectations, big time. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to improve. The play against San Diego where he just can't be stopped was one of the best Dolphin plays of the season.

I certainly hope he improves upon last season. I'd like us to keep him. Ryan trusts him, and he stepped his game up big last year. I think he continues it.

Yeah I was pretty impressed with Clay last year. That clobbering he put on that Charger player, that over the shoulder catch for 60 yards. He is an exciting player when we use him. I expect that this year we are gonna see him and Mike wallace all over the field. It's gonna be a blast to watch if our o-line can hold up!

Improved line play will give Clay more time to exploit the mismatches and give Ryan the time he needs to find him. If not, more of the same. Clay can be very dangerous in an up tempo offense in my opinion.

Clay was the biggest improver last year. When Keller was lost for the season, we were in big trouble and I think it's fair to say that Clay exceeded expectations, big time. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to improve. The play against San Diego where he just can't be stopped was one of the best Dolphin plays of the season.

against san diego or pittsburg? edit: looks like he had a good catch and run vs SD as well. I think the pitt one was more memorable. lol since I didn't even remember the SD play, until I just watched it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to shake the feeling that Tanny is gonna have a monster year. I believe the offense is gonna be dangerous in Lazor's new offense. The OL will be better, and Tanny will have the time and the quickness of this offense will keep defenses honest. Just saying. Its my gut feeling on this. GO FINS!!!!

versatility is definitely one of the best things clay has going for him...but ability to win quickly to the inside against tight man coverage is another and it's hard to find...helps him be more of a red zone option

only tight end on the team that can...the kid lynch can surprise you with his ability to gain the inside but it's not at the los stuff like clay...lynch will surprise you with some catches also...but thats a flat run of the mill move athlete

He's just a tough matchup period! no one has stopped gronk yet and they it's coming, fins has a special player, no more caveats just accept it.

Back
Top Bottom