Charles clay getting love as one of most nightmarish matchups?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by maralieus, Jul 15, 2014.

1. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

2. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Clay is difficult for a defense not because you don't have anyone on the roster who can cover him (ala Gronkowski or Graham), but because he's versatile enough that if you guess wrong on his alignment (because of his versatility) that you can get hurt for big plays. I'd rather have a tight end who's always a threat in the Graham mold with Clay as a Dwight Clark-esque chess piece but for now he's a major part of what we're doing.

Hopefully we're looking to build on that, though. Eventually teams will catch on to what we do and shut him down. I firmly believe the Jarvis Landy pick was as much about trying to keep teams from keying on Clay as anything. Tannehill loves throwing to the middle of the field and always has. If both Clay and Landry stay healthy I'd expect them both to be in the 700 yard range this year. Maybe more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  3. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Here's what it says about Clay

4. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 Team Tannehill

Always loved those Swiss-Army Knife types.

Drafted him in fantasy last year and he helped me kick alotta a$$.

5. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Thanks. Pretty much exactly what I said. Which given the usual quality of Espn insider makes me wonder if I'm about 300% wrong. :lol:

6. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Clay was the biggest improver last year. When Keller was lost for the season, we were in big trouble and I think it's fair to say that Clay exceeded expectations, big time. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to improve. The play against San Diego where he just can't be stopped was one of the best Dolphin plays of the season.

7. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

I certainly hope he improves upon last season. I'd like us to keep him. Ryan trusts him, and he stepped his game up big last year. I think he continues it.

8. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Yeah I was pretty impressed with Clay last year. That clobbering he put on that Charger player, that over the shoulder catch for 60 yards. He is an exciting player when we use him. I expect that this year we are gonna see him and Mike wallace all over the field. It's gonna be a blast to watch if our o-line can hold up!

9. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

Improved line play will give Clay more time to exploit the mismatches and give Ryan the time he needs to find him. If not, more of the same. Clay can be very dangerous in an up tempo offense in my opinion.

10. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

against san diego or pittsburg? edit: looks like he had a good catch and run vs SD as well. I think the pitt one was more memorable. lol since I didn't even remember the SD play, until I just watched it again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  11. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

cheers!

Do you pay for insider? it doesnt seem worth much to me

12. DDTDON

DDTDON Seasoned Veteran

I can't seem to shake the feeling that Tanny is gonna have a monster year. I believe the offense is gonna be dangerous in Lazor's new offense. The OL will be better, and Tanny will have the time and the quickness of this offense will keep defenses honest. Just saying. Its my gut feeling on this. GO FINS!!!!

13. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

No, I got a free years subscription to ESPN magazine and the insider pass comes with the magazine.

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

versatility is definitely one of the best things clay has going for him...but ability to win quickly to the inside against tight man coverage is another and it's hard to find...helps him be more of a red zone option

only tight end on the team that can...the kid lynch can surprise you with his ability to gain the inside but it's not at the los stuff like clay...lynch will surprise you with some catches also...but thats a flat run of the mill move athlete

15. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

He's just a tough matchup period! no one has stopped gronk yet and they it's coming, fins has a special player, no more caveats just accept it.

16. jetsh8r

jetsh8r A True Fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt4UIvOLLUE

I know we all seen this video before, but watch it one more time. Its worth watching over and over. It really makes me wonder how many tight ends that are currently in the league would I trade him straight up for. I think we all undervalue him somewhat because of where he was drafted and because he is a flex player, but he is really a top 5 tight end and a guy we will really have to pay when the time comes.

17. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Love me some Charles Clay. He is the man!

18. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Clay is a great story. I remember many thinking he was worthless as a starter after the 3rd preseason game disaster. He did a hell of a job in proving many wrong.

19. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

It's crazy to look back at the 2013 pre season where everyone on here (including myself) wouldn't have lost any sleep if the dude was cut. From no body to #89.

20. DolphinzD

DolphinzD Boom!! How you like that??

That video is awesome. I think my favorite three plays are the one where he trucks the San Diego guy, the second touchdown against Pittsburgh, and the 4th and 5 play against New England. He simply was not going to be denied on those plays.

I have held out on getting a jersey in the current style because I haven't decided who I want yet, but I am seriously considering getting a Charles Clay jersey this fall.

21. eger

eger Starter

I was impressed with Clay the day we drafted him and saw his highlight reels. I knew this kid would be one of the best from that draft.

22. Dthrill_08

Dthrill_08 A True Fan

Yet people still want another TE. Clay is good enough to be a #1 and starter for most teams. Appreciate what we have guys.

23. 100% Dolphins

100% Dolphins Starter

Charles Big Play Clay.

Loved watching his success last year and hope to see more of the same this year!

100%