Charles Clay v Jovorskie Lane at FB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Clay v Jovorskie Lane at FB

dcnr226

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Both are "good" pass catchers. Clay is more athletic, faster, more of a matchup issue for opposing defenses. Lane is a better blocker and gets tough yardage and we all love his ability to bowl people over. Lane will benefit from a full offseason of conditioning. Clay will benefit from a more open field thanks to Wallace and Keller.
From what I understand, if Daniel Thomas, Lamar Miller, and Jonas Gray are our running backs, it's highly unlikely that we carry 2 FB's on the game day roster (assuming that we pick up a TE, making Clay a h-back/fb, as Clay and Keller at TE would be a blocking liability).

i KNOW no one wants Madden being thrown into a discussion, but for purposes of experimentation (lol) i've tried both, and have had more success with Clay. He frequently sneaks out of the backfield uncovered. With Clay, the defense would have to account for the FB on every play. An offensive lineup of Wallace Hartline Bess Keller Clay Miller amounts to alot of pressure on the defense...and if Tannehill is given the green light to scramble more, this could make our offense very difficult to stop.

Thoughts?

I think Lane is our FB. End of discussion. Clay in an emergency could come in, he's more of an H-back imo.

But for what it's worth, I think Clay is 10x the blocker Egnew's worthless ass is

Im a big Clay fan... Imo he stays at HB/TE and Lane remains the FB. I believe there is enough room on this team for both of them.

I'm not sure, scratch that I flat out don't TRUST Lane with the ball in his hands. Last season for only being given a few carries he fumbled far too often(recovered or not)!

If Philbin's wish is granted and we do turn into a pass heavy offense, the traditional FB role that Lane now fills would be kindve obsolete IMO. Clay applies more pressure and versatility.

Clay's roster spot is probably safe because he's inexpensive, and he can serve as backup to TE, H-back, FB.

Coaches like inexpensive backups who can fill in multiple spots.

I would love to see Clay make the move to FB. He would create and absolute match up nightmare for the opposing teams. Don't get me wrong I like Lane but hes more of a hammer and better suited IMO for a more traditional run heavy offense.

The two players or positions are not connected. Clay is a H-back/TE, and Lane is a FB.

The two players or positions are not connected. Clay is a H-back/TE, and Lane is a FB.

Yes they are. Highly unlikely that you carry both on the roster if we add another TE via the draft, or if Egnew steps up. Either way Clay becomes a FB, which is probably the position he's best suited for. And anyways, forget the position. The debate is who would you rather have in the game on 3rd and 4, Clay or Lane. I'm going with Clay.

I wish the Dolphins could bring in a guy like Lonnie Pryor. Whatever you need him to do, he does. Run, catch, block, special teams, he does it well without complaint.

I think Lane sucks.. I liked what I saw in preseason but in the season, it was no mystery why he was working at a Rooms to GO delivering furniture.

The debate is who would you rather have on the 3rd and 4, Clay or Lane. I'm going with Clay.

On 3rd & 4, we'll probably use 3 WR, TE, RB. Wallace, Hartline, Bess/Gibson, Keller, Lamar Miller. FB probably won't be a factor here.

On 2nd & 1, we'll probably use 2 WR, TE, RB, FB. And in that situation, a truck like Lane might be better at clearing the way for Lamar Miller, to get that 1st down.

I think we keep both, Green Bay kept 3-4 tight ends and Kuhn on their roster and Philbin said he though Lane was better than Kuhn. Besides they do different things and play different spots. I still think Lane plays 3rd down back on third and med to long like Kuhn does for the Packers.

Well if u dont want or need your fullback to block clay is fine

Back
Top Bottom