Charles Clay VS. Dion Sims as Starting TE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Clay VS. Dion Sims as Starting TE

finfan54

Active Roster
Reaction score
Last night, just before bed I decided to take a peak at some of the game with Clay in.

The first thing that jumps out at me is Clay lined in and blocking. I couldnt help my first reaction is Dion Sims should be in every time to block. Why isn't he? Because he is not a starter and coaches dont want to throw their rookie into pro games early.

OK, but why would you have a lesser blocker in if he is not as good as the well-tooled Sims? Answer; for the passing game.

But if Clay is not a true TE why would you want him lined in and going out for passes from that position when he has been mostly from H-back, a second TE, or FB position?

It just seems to me that a true TE, whether a rookie or not, should be playing that spot because they can block very well, and can learn the routes and offense while playing every week and be more safety valve than seam threat until they take the training wheels off. Clay is better when he lines up in different spots or as second TE with Fasano.

Its just a waste having the smaller Clay play the TE position full time. Keeping the pass catching from the game out of the equation, this alone says to me to throw this kid into the fire. This kid has a head on his shoulders. He has some character. This is one guy I think they should play early and often and see what they get. No balls no glory. He is your only true TE.

Come on dude, why are you trying to make sense on this board:crazy:

I'd rather go with Sims personally. I don't think Clay is or will ever be a starting caliber tightend

Clay isn't as small as you make him out to be he's 6'3" 250lbs... I mean dustin killer was 6'2" 255.. just saying.

I dont think either guy is a worthy starting Te in the nfl right now but Im more inclined to want to see what Sims can do.
Clay may be better for our offense but at least Sims may become a decent starter.

I dont think either guy is a worthy starting Te in the nfl right now but Im more inclined to want to see what Sims can do.
Clay may be better for our offense but at least Sims may become a decent starter.
Bro we have to see what he can do. I just hope Sherman doesn't abandon the TE position all together.

I think you will see a decent amount of formations with both Sims and Clay in the lineup at the same time. If you just put Sims in for blocking and Clay for passing situations you are kinda showing your hand.

I think you will see a decent amount of formations with both Sims and Clay in the lineup at the same time. If you just put Sims in for blocking and Clay for passing situations you are kinda showing your hand.
Exactly. Reverse the play and let Clay block and let Sims go out and catch a ball.

Last night, just before bed I decided to take a peak at some of the game with Clay in.

The first thing that jumps out at me is Clay lined in and blocking. I couldnt help my first reaction is Dion Sims should be in every time to block. Why isn't he? Because he is not a starter and coaches dont want to throw their rookie into pro games early.

OK, but why would you have a lesser blocker in if he is not as good as the well-tooled Sims? Answer; for the passing game.

But if Clay is not a true TE why would you want him lined in and going out for passes from that position when he has been mostly from H-back, a second TE, or FB position?

It just seems to me that a true TE, whether a rookie or not, should be playing that spot because they can block very well, and can learn the routes and offense while playing every week and be more safety valve than seam threat until they take the training wheels off. Clay is better when he lines up in different spots or as second TE with Fasano.

Its just a waste having the smaller Clay play the TE position full time. Keeping the pass catching from the game out of the equation, this alone says to me to throw this kid into the fire. This kid has a head on his shoulders. He has some character. This is one guy I think they should play early and often and see what they get. No balls no glory. He is your only true TE.

Well-said.

Bro we have to see what he can do. I just hope Sherman doesn't abandon the TE position all together.

If Sims doesnt pan out it will be three straight yearsof draftin TE without producing a decent starter. Im all about giving him a chance because neither of the alternatives is very good.

Sims, in my opinion, should see the field a lot more in this coming game. The coaching staff will want to see a live-game scenario to evaluate him further. If both of them show very little, I wouldn't be surprise to see the front office try to make a trade for a starting caliber TE.

To amplify, CLAY last season seemed to be able to circle out of the backfield, and was often running as free as the wind at c. 15-20 yards, especially crossing the field. T-HILL hit him more than once for c. 18 or so yards gained. The way I saw it, NO LB could stay w/him: NONE!!! And S's were hard-pressed to do so. So, if you want a "mismatch", there's one right there, and it's an easy one to create. SIMS might just turn out to be that "pearl of great price"--a COMPLETE TE. Well, now's the time to start finding out, one way or another. IF, AT THE LEAST, SIMS turns out to be another (slightly better) FASANO, then our TE pairing could give DCs everywhere a BAD migraine. And we won't have to look around for a TE to do it. So, let's try it!!! We don't owe any opposing DCs a living!

If Sims doesnt pan out it will be three straight yearsof draftin TE without producing a decent starter. Im all about giving him a chance because neither of the alternatives is very good.
We have to keep the faith that this will be our new starter. Put Sims in a place to succeed rather than setting him up for failure.

Back
Top Bottom