Charles Clay | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Clay

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Clay is a 27 year old TE/H-Back, picked in the 6th round, and is entering into his 3rd year for Miami. Here's his run down.

Last year (302 snaps), he ranked #33 overall at TE, In pass, he was #42, pass block #22, and run block #37. He caught 18 of 27 targets for 212 yards, an 11.8 average, Had a 5.1 YAC, 2 TD's, and 5 drops. He had 2 catches over 20, and played 37 snaps at FB and did nothing at all.

In 2011 (310 snaps), he caught 16 of 24 for 233 yards, a 14.6 average, 3 TD's, 3 drops, and had 6 for over 20 yards. Almost all of his damage was done from the H-back position, and nothing much from TE, with his blocking needing a lot of work.

So much for stats. Some believe he is on the bubble to make our team, and I disagree. His rookie year was the lockout, and he had to try and learn two positions in no time, and did well by making some big plays for the team in limited opportunities.

Last season, new coach, new system, new QB, and he struggled some. He was not given the same match up chances at H-Back as the year before, made a few plays, got much better in his blocking but, was somewhat disappointing overall.

This coming year, Clay is in his prime, and I believe he and the coaches will come together in making this a VG year for him, unless he just does not fit what they want. IMO, he has proven his ability to make some plays, and I do not want to see that go. Again, this is only his 3rd year, and the first two were not easy.

I really hope that you're right about Clay but there isn't a lot of evidence that the coaches have a very strong belief in him based on all the activity around him.

I really hope that you're right about Clay but there isn't a lot of evidence that the coaches have a very strong belief in him based on all the activity around him.

None at all that I have seen. Five drops, in very limited play, will not endear any O coach to a player. I just have a feeling things will work out.

I hope you're right about Clay, but if we get Leach he could be gone. It wouldn't make sense to keep 2 FBs and at TE you have Keller and Sims locked in with a shoot out between Egnew and Clay for TE3. Tough situation.

I hope you're right about Clay, but if we get Leach he could be gone. It wouldn't make sense to keep 2 FBs and at TE you have Keller and Sims locked in with a shoot out between Egnew and Clay for TE3. Tough situation.

Leach would replace Lane, with no effect on Clay. As posted on the TE thread, I expect Keller, Sims, Clay and the best of Egnew or Miller.

Kyle Miller is the TE to watch for to unseat Egnew or Clay for that thirde spot IMO. He has been said to really be impressing the coaching staff.Apprently they do want to see how he's able to bloock and release once the hitting starts.

I would think Clay is safe if we do sign Leech. Lane would be gone though. He can only play the one position and Leech would take that spot. I see no reason to keep 2 FBs when Clay would give us a FB and an HB. Clay just gives us more flexibility.

I would think Clay is safe if we do sign Leech. Lane would be gone though. He can only play the one position and Leech would take that spot. I see no reason to keep 2 FBs when Clay would give us a FB and an HB. Clay just gives us more flexibility.

Agree, and Clay really did improve his blocking from his rookie year when he was pretty bad. A friend mentioned Sherman saying he wanted to get Clay more involved in the second half of last year. I do remember that but, don't recall if it was done or, if he did not take advantage.

Any help?

i believe Clay's way to make this team is via H-back ... I don't see him making it as a TE ...

Yea, but there is only so much of a fine line between HBack and TE on teams without a FB but no real need in teams with FB and TE. If Leach comes in Lane is gone and if Clay stays it'll be at TE. Sure, if Leach is here you can still line Clay out at TE then motion him in to block...by why would you? Just go with Leach the better blocker or Keller the better pass catcher.

Clay's time in Mia might just be determined by Leach's decision and/or Egnew's play in pads. Either way I don't see why he won't be around at least in preseason.

Back
Top Bottom