Charles Sims - RB West Virginia | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Sims - RB West Virginia

Apollo

Practice Squad
Reaction score
0ap1000000237006-1.jpg

Height: 6-0
Weight: 213 lbs.

Scouting Report: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665240/charles-sims

STRENGTHS: Possesses a high-cut frame, which gives him an unusual torso for the running back position. His size belies impressive quickness and acceleration, making him a tough target for would-be tacklers. Presses the hole before making decisive cuts with a strong plant foot to burst through the crease. Shows good vision and beautiful acceleration to speed up in a hurry.

Good receiver with excellent hand-eye coordination who caught a team-high 45 passes in 2013. Frequently targeted on screens and quick passes to the flat. Can split out wide and put defensive backs on their heels with a hesitation move off the snap. Shows good burst and understanding of route concepts. Can accelerate to create separation and has the leaping ability to make catches in traffic

Reliable pass blocker who shows good recognition skills and courage in taking on hard-charging pass-rushers.

WEAKNESSES: Runs with some tightness and lacks natural bend. Sims is tough and physical but doesn't have an ideal body type for the position, running too tall at times with inconsistent pad level and ball security.

Highlights:

[video=youtube;n_ZLITZeRZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZLITZeRZ4[/video]

He's physical runner and possesses an impressive elusiveness for a back his size. Being a good pass blocker and receiver out of the backfield are huge pluses for the Dolphins. I haven't watched any of his games so I don't know much about him. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
dolphins don't have ricky Williams or brown. need get back that is near that level again or close

I was hoping to see more "tough yards" runs in the vid. Saw maybe 2 or 3. A lot of big holes he was running through. Albeit, he did look all kinds of elusive. Nice catching ability. I only saw 1 full game of his this yr, the Iowa State game. Will look at more vids, but the Forte comparison by I think Bucky Brooks was interesting.

I saw CK's thread posted in June of last year, it was thought he might enter supplemental draft but chose to transfer to WVU. He compared him to a mix of Reggie Bush / DeMarco Murray

I watched all of his games this year. I was in the building for 4 of the 6 home games.

Sims can play in the league. He was the best player WVU had on offense and wasnt used as often as he couldve been. The other RB, Smith, who has a lot of talent got plenty of carries as well. Sims probably couldve been a 30 carry per game workhorse if they made him one. He is a great pass catcher and solid blocker. One of the few bright spots on offense for WVU this year as their QB play was pretty much horrible. Every QB who played struggled with the complex system and lacked real talent to produce in it. Sims however carried the ball well despite the QB not being much of a threat to the opposing defense.

He is very fast for his size. I think he could dominate in the right system. A ZBS would be perfect for him IMHO. He hits holes quick and can make cuts with "suddeness" :lol: GURU! He isnt quite the bruiser you may expect when you look at his size, but he is no scat back either. Youre not going to arm tackle this guy. You better wrap up. Nice all around player. I wouldnt mind the Phins drafting him at all.

Only concern I would have is ball security with him. He is a bit tall for a RB and can run too high if that makes sense. He isnt a guy who is going to hide in a pile and squirt out just by keeping the legs going like MJD or someone. He is certainly strong enough to push a pile however if he gets his pad level low enough.

I was hoping to see more "tough yards" runs in the vid. Saw maybe 2 or 3. A lot of big holes he was running through. Albeit, he did look all kinds of elusive. Nice catching ability. I only saw 1 full game of his this yr, the Iowa State game. Will look at more vids, but the Forte comparison by I think Bucky Brooks was interesting.

I saw CK's thread posted in June of last year, it was thought he might enter supplemental draft but chose to transfer to WVU. He compared him to a mix of Reggie Bush / DeMarco Murray

I actually saw the same thing. He breaks through arm tackles fine but I didn't see many gritty, lowered-shoulders runs in that video. His upright stance doesn't help but that can be improved upon. Everything else is outstanding though. The Forte/Bush/Murray comparisons are something to definitely take note of.

I watched all of his games this year. I was in the building for 4 of the 6 home games.

Sims can play in the league. He was the best player WVU had on offense and wasnt used as often as he couldve been. The other RB, Smith, who has a lot of talent got plenty of carries as well. Sims probably couldve been a 30 carry per game workhorse if they made him one. He is a great pass catcher and solid blocker. One of the few bright spots on offense for WVU this year as their QB play was pretty much horrible. Every QB who played struggled with the complex system and lacked real talent to produce in it. Sims however carried the ball well despite the QB not being much of a threat to the opposing defense.

He is very fast for his size. I think he could dominate in the right system. A ZBS would be perfect for him IMHO. He hits holes quick and can make cuts with "suddeness" :lol: GURU! He isnt quite the bruiser you may expect when you look at his size, but he is no scat back either. Youre not going to arm tackle this guy. You better wrap up. Nice all around player. I wouldnt mind the Phins drafting him at all.

Only concern I would have is ball security with him. He is a bit tall for a RB and can run too high if that makes sense. He isnt a guy who is going to hide in a pile and squirt out just by keeping the legs going like MJD or someone. He is certainly strong enough to push a pile however if he gets his pad level low enough.

Ball security, tall, runs high...Daniel Thomas? :chuckle: Just kidding!

His burst and acceleration is fantastic and he runs with decisiveness. At 6-foot 200+ lbs he practically cuts like a scatback! I want the Dolphins to get a pile driver to complement Miller (I'm not giving up on him just yet, want to see what he does with an offensive line that actually blocks and creates holes) but Sims looks too good to pass up. He definitely won't be able to hide in piles but if he can lower his pad level like you said, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to push the pile a bit.

Definitely one to keep an eye on this week for the Senior Bowl.

He's apparently showing very well in Senior Bowl practices as well.

Rather go w/ Hill or Blue from LSU.

How's this for an acorn? Quiteh from Bloomsburg in the 7th. He impressed me greatly in 1 of the all star games this past weekend.

Back
Top Bottom