Chiefs Release Winston

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

2. Rhoadsy13

Rhoadsy13 Starter

Per Rotoworld: Chiefs release RT Winston

Since we were interested in him last offseason wonder with the loss Long if we strongly consider pursuing Winston. Would live him on our o-line!

3. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

and Rams cut Hunter. OT market is going to be flooded this offseason - nobody is going to get paid what they want. Good for us and our OT need.

4. Rhoadsy13

Rhoadsy13 Starter

5. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Good veteran right tackle. Got zone blocking experience from his days in Houston.

6. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Jake Long's contract just got smaller.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

winston runs his mouth in the media too much...i doubt he'll have much market...says things off kilter about the organizations he plays for...maybe a little too honest i guess...doubt ireland and philbin would buy in...

8. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

9. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

His team was a joke last year. I don't remember him saying anything when he was in Houston.

10. JERSEYFINFAN23

JERSEYFINFAN23 Starter

he wanted a big pay day went too the not so good chiefs and is now a cap move. the chiefs must like one of the OL players.

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

he went to kc for the money...regardless if the team was a joke he should be a good soldier if you ask me...or better yet i bet that's what ireland and philbin would want...philbin especially strikes me that way...

plus i don't think winstons as good a player as he thinks he is anymore...he's become kinda stiff and a waist bender of late imo...but he does get the job done i guess...we could do worse no doubt about that

12. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

lol Chiefs' fans are in a loss for words because they just tagged Albert and they thought "well Albert will be protecting Geno Smith".

Time to face the music Chief's fans. Your team is drafting a left tackle with the first pick overall (and it's going to suck, Dolphins' fans know how it feels) and you're going to be paying 9 million one year for Albert to play right tackle.

13. bdmagnum

bdmagnum Big Daddy

If Martin moves to LT, wouldn't Winston come at a cheaper price than what Long is looking for?

14. Vertical Limit

We don't have unlimited money. My guess is we bring back Garner and draft a tackle early.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think tackles in play but not sure i think it's a lock despite them cutting winston...they got a 3rd round tackle from oklahoma they like last year in the draft stephenson and alberts locked up with the tag...might be defense specifically dt with the top pick...

might be ot...but again i wouldn't call it a lock...the chiefs already set their ceiling anyways for the near future with the trade for alex smith...doubt it's good enough

16. SunsPhinsfan03

SunsPhinsfan03 A True Fan

I'll take him. The thing he said last yr was he was sickened when the KC fans were booing when Matt Cassel got a concussion.

He was right....You can boo a guy for poor performences, but something serious like a concussion is bush league.

Winston would be a nice fit here

17. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

Cmon man, Hoops stop it lol. Jags, you're on the clock. Joeckel is off the board.

18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

sure he would be cheaper and shorter term...but you better hope he doesn't nose dive right off a cliff on you... there's potential here for a colombo like season...i don't think it's that bad but the guys legs look like their almost gone...and with colombo his legs were shot when he got here

19. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

This would be a good move... but id probably rather sign Levitre and draft a tackle and lock down our line for years to come.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

they have a left tackle they just tagged for $10 mil in albert...joeckels not a right tackle he's a left fit all the way...it's possible they kick albert back inside to left guard which he played some in college at uva and i think a bit in the pros as well but i kinda doubt it given the tackle tag...i think the 3rd round pick stephenson could play into it also...

i'm not buying the media hype right now that the chiefs are in love with joeckel with the top pick...heck the better tackle down the line anyway in the draft imo is lane johnson...better athlete more upside

21. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

How was his play last season? Warrant him being cut? I see this as a sure sign the Chiefs will look for OT with that first pick

22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

what was winstons cap # anyways for this upcoming season...that probably can tell ya what they thought he had left value wise

23. uk_dolfan

Im not sure about this hoops ive heard he is a well liked and respected guy in the locker room. Could very much be a Philbin guy.

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

with the players maybe...with the front offices i don't think so...

25. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

I think he only gave up 3 sacks.

26. uk_dolfan

Meh some players put their foot in it from time to time *cough* Dansby *cough* but if they work hard and dont cause interal issues then its not really a red flag for me. I actaully gained a lot of respect for Winston this season after he defended his QB against the fans when they were out of order. And apparantly he really stepped up after that horrible shooting.

You could be right of course.. but I dont see Winston as a problem guy and im sure Ireland and Jeff could deal with him.

27. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Trying to figure out how a guy who sticks up for his QB is a bad guy???

28. prochef23

prochef23 Member

Agreed, he would be a good addition to sure up the line

29. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Was Winston not like the #1 RT FA two years ago? Looks like Jake Long better wake up with his contract wishes

30. Dolphins91

Dolphins91 Well-Known Member

what has he done that makes his character questionable? the only thing i've ever heard about him is that he called out the fans for cheering when Matt Cassell got killed and ended up with a concussion I actually think that should be applauded. That makes him sound like a leader to me. Reggie Bush and Dansby questioned the coaches on Hard Knocks when Chad Johnson got cut and they were the leaders of our team.

31. D0lphan72

D0lphan72 War... War never changes Donator

scoop him up!

32. Dolphins91

33. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Winston has no character issues. Contrary he has a high character calling out fans for cheering for player injuries.

34. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Wayne Hunter? From NY last year? If so.. Keep him far away from Miami. Hunter sucks, bad. On the same level as Columbo. Definitely try out Winston though.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

He definitely isnt as good as he used to be, but nevertheless he would be a solid addition at RT and fill a hole.

35. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

I LOVE WHAT HE SAID.. WHO DOESN'T STICK UP FOR THEIR QUARTERBACK??????????

"We are athletes, OK? We are athletes. We are not gladiators. This is not the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money when they come in here, and I believe they can boo, they can cheer and they can do whatever they want, I believe that. We are lucky to play this game. People, it's hard economic times, and they still pay the money to do this. ...

"But when somebody gets hurt, there are long-lasting ramifications to the game we play, long-lasting ramifications to the game we play. I've already kinda come to the understanding that I won't live as long because I play this game, and that's OK, that's a choice I've made and a choice all of us have made.
    "But when you cheer, when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and it just so happened to be Matt Cassel -- it's sickening. It's 100 percent sickening. I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, I've never been more embarrassed in my life to play football than in that moment right there.
    "It's sickening. And I was embarrassed. I want every single one of you people to put this on your station and in your newspapers because I want every fan to know that. This is a game that's going to cost us a lot down the road. That's OK. We picked it, we deserve it and I don't want your pity. But we have a lot of problems as a society if people think that's OK.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...on-blasts-chiefs-fans-over-matt-cassel-injury

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah but had the cameras not been in philbins office for hard knocks that would have been a private meeting...so i don't see how that applies...guys question things all the time in a private setting if there's an open door policy but don't air dirty laundry to the media...someone made a good point about dansby though taking some of his displeasures public...but i bet that didn't sit well with the front office...

but you guys may be right i haven't followed winston enough thru the years to really know but he strikes me as a bit too forthcoming on some things and i could see where it would rub some front office people the wrong way...more than anything though for me his legs don't look good to me...he just looks labored and that he's losing his knee bend when i see him...that would concern me...oh and he made $9 mil last year in kc...8 in a signing bonus and 900 k salary...pretty good take for one year of service...i saw his cap hit for this upcoming season was $6.5 mil that's not killer money for a tackle if he's playing at a high end level...they may have approached him about a cut and he said no thus the release but there may be more to it also...

and i kinda wonder i saving a mil this year or so to go use your top pick on a tackle when you have one that you consider to be so solid as is being tossed around here would lead you to believe would make much sense...

but then again i think they are leaning ideally trade out of the spot but no takers defense with that pick...we'll see...just how i see it

37. dolpns13

Hes 100% right... Except when it comes to Tom Brady.. :d-day:

38. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

Bring him home! However would he play LT with us? I mean he's bigger than Martin isn't he?

39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

by the way i don't endorse cheering any injury but if i was a chiefs fans and had to watch that guy play like *** for year after year i probably would throw stones...not cause of an injury on the field but to try and take getting him off the field into my own hands...

40. dolpns13

You should do it and then run as fast as you can - and that may not be fast enough. No matter how much we hate some of them, or think they suck on the field, even the crappiest practice squad player would likely wipe the floor with just about any one of our asses. Even Cassell at 6-4 230.

41. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Winston would be a nice FA addition, he should have came to Miami last year. No classless fans to deal with in Miami.

42. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Looks like teams are getting smarter and are stopping over paying cornfed!

43. Dolphins91

He's a RT... and keep in mind that released players can be signed at any time. Don't have to wait til March 12th to sign him. Fills a hole and allows us to focus on other positions in FA and the draft.

44. joeylats

joeylats Well-Known Member

i would sign him only if we cut cogs to save cap room,then sign Levitre and o-line prob solved. Wallace signed then playmakers rest of way in draft

45. PhinMagic

PhinMagic A True Fan

He's awful, i heard he had a bad year with them last year.

46. PhinMagic

PhinMagic A True Fan

Pick him up. If Martin gets stronger our o-line should be solid next year. Keenan Lewis and Wallace can be the other two FA signings. Goldson anyone? Any chance lebron can get some of these guys to come here?

47. Vertical Limit

Lebron is a Cowboys fan and besides, he's more focused on his championship team.

48. Miamifin23

Miamifin23 Seasoned Veteran

Long will command a few million more than Winston.. Winston prolly could be had for 4-5 million per... Could use the money saved from resigning long and focus it on a veteran corner or help towards the Wallace pursuit

49. MarSly

MarSly Well-Known Member

Why all the Odrick trade talk....

50. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I think that the comments pertaining to Winston's character are wrong. Everything that I've heard about him is that he is articulate, highly intelligent and high character guy who could have a future in the media when his playing days are over.
    When the labor negotiations with the NFL were pretty tense, I seem to recall that he was in demand from the radio stations like Sirius NFL, because he was one of the best Player reps.
    The bigger question is whether he is still a top O-lineman. While he has played RT, I seem to recall that he strongly prefers playing LT. In which case we could look at him as Jake Long's prospective replacement.