Cinderella Team in 2012?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CRIOS, May 3, 2012.

?

Will the Dolphins be the Cinderella Team in 2012?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2012.
  1. Yes!

111 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. No!

111 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Other...

27 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

Comment on your vote...

2. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

I think the potential is there. But I won't say we are a shoe in to be a "Cinderella" team. The reason I say this is because EVERYONE is counting us out again. Is there a good chance we are going to be fourth in the division? Sure. But that is the fun of the NFL, you never know who will rise from the bottom to take the top. And I have to to say, the current coaching staff makes me feel real confident. Even if it isn't this year. I believe they have put together a solid team.

3. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

This sounds like last year with a bunch of homers who thought we were going to the playoffs...right before we went 0-7. It really doesn't matter how good the fools think this draft was...the other teams improved also...and we didn't improve any more than they did. Next year will only be slightly better than last year, and could be even worse if Tannehill starts.

4. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think we've made much better moves this offseason than in the past, but... we're still a 6 win team.

5. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Are you always this cheery? :rolleyes2:

Not ONE person yet has commented that we're going to be a playoff contender and already you are attacking anyone who has anything positive to say about this team, let alone the draft. Jeez, lighten up man.

To be honest, I don't think we'll be a Cinderella team this year, but we could shed the losing season curse. There's just too much that has to go right with this young (but upandcoming) team, but the schedule at least is favorable for us. Who knows, though...maybe we'll catch a few breaks with the old "OL guru" out of the picture. In time, though, I think Philbin and Tannehill could lead this team to greater things...at least greater than we've known for the last several years! :lol:

6. RichmondWeb

RichmondWeb Greetings from Portlandia Finheaven VIP

New key players, new coaches, new schemes; a lot must get done between now and the season but.... I look at what SF did last year, after a similar underachieving season and a limited off-season and who knows? Their division was weak last year but our non-division schedule is do-able.

RW

7. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

As long as we destroy the Jets in BOTH games I'll be a happy man.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

every year there teams people don't expect to make a playoff run so you definitely have hope. You have talented defensive players, how quickly do they adapt to the new scheme? even w/o Marshall I think you may have a better offense. You need to get off to a good start, I would say a healthy Garrard gives you your best chance to win but what is best for Miami long term is getting Tannehill some starting experience by the end of the season.

9. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

This isn't anything like last year. You could end up even worse than 6-10 in 2012 but last year was completely hopeless. A coach and QB returning that most of us knew were losers and they weren't going anywhere with. One of the only suprises was Moore was a little better than expected. Not what you want as a starter but can win a few games. This year I don't know. I'd like to see Garrard prove to be better than Moore and be able to win some games until Tannehill is ready. Or maybe Moore does a little better in this offense, who knows?

Tannehill was probably a reach at 8 and one thing I don't think fans will forget is that the 2012 draft is over with and it doesn't mean a hill of beans where he was drafted going forward. Maybe he will prove to be a good QB.

What will the defense look like? I expect at least better than that out of shape mess that opened up against New England.

10. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

If they had pulled off a trade for Osi Umenyiora and drafted Kuechly and Weeden I would have said ya, but as it is; not a chance.

11. 13Dolfan87

13Dolfan87 Scout Team Donator

I say no but that we will be better than people think. Sure, that could mean 7 wins but people seem to be pegging us to be pretty damn bad.

I think we'll be competitive and around .500.

12. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I think Cleveland will be a Cinderella team this year. They are vastly improved, but they have a really tough division.

13. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

What's that stat? Many years in a row now 2 or 3 teams that didn't make the playoffs last year make it. We could be that Cinderella team - probably could even plead the best case for it. But I put other. I think we'll be a team that'll perform well above the expectations of many, but come up short in terms of making the playoffs.

14. TebowOfNazareth

TebowOfNazareth Well-Known Member

I see the Cinderella team coming from the NFC South this year with Carolina or Tampa Bay. New Orleans is having a terrible off-season and the new offensive coordinator in Atlanta was previously in charge of the Jaguars offense. I give a slight edge to Cam Newton over the rookie coach Schiano for my Cinderella pick.

15. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

Isn't a Cinderella team one that makes it to the playoffs and is a contender that you didn't expect? I mean, you can't be a Cinderella team and go .500 or even 9-7. Anyone voting yes is saying we will make the playoffs really.

16. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

Dolphins improved way too much this offseason to not have any hopes of a contender type season.

-We got rid of chad henne and tony sparano, the 2 main problems with the miami dolphins.
    -We added A great coach and offensive mind Joe philbin as our new heach coach and also added a 1st round qb to our roster tannenhill(whether he will be ready or not for this season is not known yet but still something to be excited about)
    -We added richard marshall, another good corner.
    -We added lamar miller, a potential 1st round running back gotten for a 4th round pick. A true homerun threat. Reggie and lamar will be skysthelimit if phiblin pounds the rock.
    -Our defense needs an offensive to feed off, if philbin improves this offense with all these new weapons, our defense will be that much better. Our defense with sparano and henne was dead, unmotivated and out of shape. Defense knew our offense sucks, so whats the point of them getting turnovers for henne to just give the ball right back to the other team?

Even with all the new weapons, the #1 im excited about is joe phiblin, if you want to be a debbie downer and say were a 4 win team, go ahead, doesnt bother me at all, but it wont change my faith in philbin and what i believe is a capable 10-6 contender potential team. Tony sparano makes the dolphins look that bad, that is why i have high expectations for this team.

17. safrench1

safrench1 Rookie

Using that line of thinking, we will never be better than other teams. We improve, so do they.....

18. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

We've closed out more than the last half of the season outplaying 2 of our 4 divisional competitors playing .667 ball. Ditto Moore vs anyone in divisional QBs not named "Brady." If T/Hill steps in at any point, it'll indicate that the position will be even an upgrade beyond that status quo.

We lost Marshall which looks like a blow, but lets see how our new sure-handed TE does, how Clay develops, whether Gates or one or 2 of our new WRs pick up the slack in our now superior coach's scheme. Our running game now includes a bonefide Home Run hitter and a year of understanding how to get the best out of Reggie. Hopefully it'll also include a healthy season for Thomas who showed much promise when healthy, so the running game should be a strong suit against just about anyone in the division on its own as well as aiding and abetting the passing game.

We have fortified the OL with another year under the belt of our stud center and through the addition of a first round talent who was instrumental in Luck staying upright and becoming the number 1 draft pick. Fasano is an excellent blocking TE so now that he can concentrate more on that role, that will also help fortify the OL. Did I mention that Jake says he's now healthy for the first time since Sparano ruined him in exhibition game 4 2 seasons past?

IMO the biggest hit we took on the defensive side was losing Nolan and the flux that comes from transitioning into a hybrid defense. Those could be issues. Personnel wise, we've resigned a better than average and athletic NT, added 2 potential pass rushers which can only help out our elite one in Wake, a more competent corner -slash nickel back; safeties do remain a concern. Hopefully Dansby will report in shape and Burnett will get going a lot faster than last season as IMO it's no coincidence that once these guys worked their way into shape, the unit performed better.

While you could have inserted even **** Kotite in to replace the Meatball and it likely would have been an upgrade, we have a smart, universally professionally respected replacement who played an instrumental role in GB becoming an offensive juggernaut, (and is credited by the great Aaron Rodgers as playing a major role in his professional and personal development), so sight unseen I cannot see how that's not a major improvement in general and specifically, in sidestepping boneheaded field calls during crunch time.

Yes it's true other teams have gotten better too, but it's also true we performed more than half the season better than most of the other teams in the league, so I think some of the pessimism is both naturally hard-wired and as likely if not more so to be misplaced. That's not to say I think we'll end up in the post season, but that's not to say either we won't if we can pick up where last season left off, as I'm firmly convinced that if the Meatball had conducted an open TC QB competition, we'd have been playing for a Wild Card playoff spot in game 16 instead of merely being the spoiler. This time last year, SF was going through a lot of flux, was also a 6-10 team, going 5-4 over their last 9 games, with a new smart incoming HC, an undependable QB they were trying to draft out from, a strong running game, a better than average defense, and some questions surrounding under-performing receivers. Sound familiar?

19. Wind

Wind Rookie

you are really positive!

20. PyroDOLFAN

PyroDOLFAN Seasoned Veteran Donator

^ Appreciate the breakdown Vaark, I always enjoy listening to your quaint witticism's ^^b

21. CalDolFan10x14

Well said Mr Vaark....here's to at least hoping Philbin will have close to the effect Harbaugh had in SF his first season.

22. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

Yes the Fins will be a cinderella team, let's just hope the Superbowl is played before midnight or we'll lose a shoe

23. undefeated72

undefeated72 old-timer Donator

While I would love it for the Dolphins to make the playoffs, I just don't see them doing it this year. So many changes, so many needs. Optimistically I would say 9 wins, but more likely 7-8 wins. I do think Carolina may have a break out year and win their division or at least make the playoffs.

24. Kinzua

Kinzua Banned Hammered

I voted "Other". The Fins can't be the Cinderella team in 2012 because the Bills will be.

25. CalDolFan10x14

:lol:

Edit...oh wait you were serious?!?! :chuckle:

26. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Buf isn't a cinderella team, according to Bills fans they will be 12-4 and go to the Super Bowl!

27. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

They must be drinking from the same wishing well as their cross state conference rivals.

28. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

obviously, everyone knows Miami will beat the Bills in the AFC Championship game en route to their 3rd SB title.

29. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I don't see that happening this year, but it will happen before the Jets get back into the AFC championship game.

30. dolfanattic5

dolfanattic5 you got chambered

it's so funny I remember when you were the biggest homer on here, and now you are nothing but negative

31. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

some day it will happen I guess, you are probably 3-4 coaches away from it but some day.

32. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Likewise..the Jets will be promoting the meatball after the season.

33. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

you mean the only coach to lead Miami to the playoffs in the last decade?:lol:

34. CalDolFan10x14

:bobdole: Not this again.

35. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

relax and have some fun. The offseason is long and boring.

36. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

I am optimistic, but I cannot comment on being a Cinderella team. The coaching staff has the feel of being tremendous, but None of us have seen their impact on the roster. It is all WAGs at this point. I am very confident that Martin will stabilize the right side. This
    single improvement will improve our offensive performance. I expect Clay to be a significant contributor. Is there enough improvement? I am not sure, but the future looks bright.

37. DDTDON

DDTDON Seasoned Veteran

Wow!, you are one negative comment after another. Don't give that realistic crap either. Just sickening to me.

38. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

Not this year, but some of the pieces are there. If the right additions are made next offseason, this team can be a "Cinderella" team.

39. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

2008 showed anything is possible, but who knows. Probably 9 wins. We have a fairly easy schedule.

40. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Pennington lead us to the playoffs..the meatball was just there for the buffet.