Classic Comeback - 1971 Dolphins vs. Steelers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Classic Comeback - 1971 Dolphins vs. Steelers

Thanks for that. Fun to see.

Miami really had Pittsburgh's number in the early 70's. I remember the Monday night game when the Dolphins had a big lead and then held on late when Don Shula had the team take a safety. The announcers at the time had no idea what Shula was doing. What a brilliant coach.

Of course the Dolphins beat the Steelers to get to Super Bowl VII in a hard-fought game in Pittsburgh. That was before home field advantage and Pittsburgh coming off the Immaculate Reception win over Oakland.

Speaking of Oakland, I always wondered if Miami would have went on to beat the Steelers in 1974 if they won the Sea of Hands game. That one would have been in Miami.

Had Zonk, Warfield and Kiick not gone to the WFL they would have won another SB that year.

Also, of instant reply existed, I'm not sure Den Herder didn't have Stabler's knees down on that play. Seen it 150 times. Still not sure.

Had Zonk, Warfield and Kiick not gone to the WFL they would have won another SB that year....

I have always disagreed with this theory, the offense was fine...players liked Nat Moore and Don Nottingham picked up the slack.

It was the loss of Bill Arnsparger and an aging, injured defense which prevented them from winning more championships.

Last edited:
I have always disagreed with this theory, the offense was fine...players liked Nat Moore and Don Nottingham picked up the slack.

It was the loss of Bill Arsparger and an aging, injured defense which prevented them from winning more championships.

I think they had a really good shot at one more ring in '74. They were better than Pittsburgh that year. Hell, Oakland was better than Pittsburgh that year! The Sea of Hands loss is still the game that hurts the most for me. I'll never get over it.....end of the dynasty right there.

A combination of the two ended our hopes of future dominance.

Had Zonk, Warfield and Kiick not gone to the WFL they would have won another SB that year.

Also, of instant reply existed, I'm not sure Den Herder didn't have Stabler's knees down on that play. Seen it 150 times. Still not sure.

I've always wondered that as well. If memory serves, Miami's secondary was really banged up so it would have been a big challenge against Pittsburgh. The game would have been in the Orange Bowl, though, where the Dolphins had a huge home field advantage. Had Miami got past the Steelers, I'm confident the team would have beat Minnesota in the super bowl.

There were two other years where Miami had a window in 1975 and 1977. The team went 10-4 both seasons, but didn't make the playoffs.

In 1977, in particular, the team lost several close games that players like Csonka, Kiick and Warfield could have impacted. That 10-7 loss to Baltimore at the end of the season and 20-19 to Houston earlier are the two I'm thinking about. At 12-2 Miami might have had home field advantage. Denver was certainly beatable that season.

Without those three players, Miami definitely took a step down. And then Pittsburgh had several drafts that helped them rise to the top including in 1974 when the Steelers took four players who ended up in the Hall of Fame.

It was the loss of Bill Arnsparger and an aging, injured defense which prevented them from winning more championships.

That's a good point on Arnsparger.

Thanks for posting the video. How fun was that? That game was before my time, and before '72, so it was a nice glimpse of that period.

1. Lot of legendary names in there, on their way up.
2. Paul Warfield as a veteran put a whooping on a young Mel Blount.
3. The turf looked awful. It must have rained before the game. I didn't catch the date but it looked hot and uncomfortable.
4. Miami's O Line wasn't built up yet or there were injuries galore.
5. George Mira. Looking at that sad display, no wonder Shula got Morrall.
6. Larry Csonka was a physical specimen.
7. Bob Griese was a stud. He had some very nice throws with good arm strength and precision.
8. The Dolphins made so many brilliant key acquisitions in putting the chemistry of that team together. They had the Midas touch. It wasn't just the draft. Trades, waivers, whatever it took. Nice mix of savvy vets and young guns.
9. Dolphins wore blue during a day game. Shula changed that for the early starts.
10. As for the Dolphin dynasty, I agree that the WFL debacle and Robbie's pettiness were back breakers. But, they didn't get young juice added to that D. You've got to keep replenishing with fresh legs or you fall behind. Some of the guys they tried to bring in like Crowder's dad didn't have the right mentality. They did draft a heck of a defense in the late 70s which paid dividends through 1983 or so.

very good point w Arnsparger but Nat Moore was just a rookie that year - one of my all time favorite fins but to say he replaced one of the best to ever play the game, and Nottingham Zonk is a stretch. One stupid play away from going to the title game - I truly believe that (a) the reason that play worked was the D let up for a split second when they thought Stabler was sacked and (b) had those 3 guys not gone to the WFL we beat Pitt at home and Minny again in the SB. Arnsparger was a huge loss too. Not minimizing that.

Thanks for posting the video. How fun was that? That game was before my time, and before '72, so it was a nice glimpse of that period.

1. Lot of legendary names in there, on their way up.
2. Paul Warfield as a veteran put a whooping on a young Mel Blount.
3. The turf looked awful. It must have rained before the game. I didn't catch the date but it looked hot and uncomfortable.
4. Miami's O Line wasn't built up yet or there were injuries galore.
5. George Mira. Looking at that sad display, no wonder Shula got Morrall.
6. Larry Csonka was a physical specimen.
7. Bob Griese was a stud. He had some very nice throws with good arm strength and precision.
8. The Dolphins made so many brilliant key acquisitions in putting the chemistry of that team together. They had the Midas touch. It wasn't just the draft. Trades, waivers, whatever it took. Nice mix of savvy vets and young guns.
9. Dolphins wore blue during a day game. Shula changed that for the early starts.
10. As for the Dolphin dynasty, I agree that the WFL debacle and Robbie's pettiness were back breakers. But, they didn't get young juice added to that D. You've got to keep replenishing with fresh legs or you fall behind. Some of the guys they tried to bring in like Crowder's dad didn't have the right mentality. They did draft a heck of a defense in the late 70s which paid dividends through 1983 or so.
I really like this post - that video was indeed a lot of fun to watch. All really good points here - Griese (even though in the Hall) doesn't get the respect he truly deserves IMO.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the subdued celebrations on touchdowns, and no one making a spectacle of himself after making a big play. Thanks for posting, dirwuf!

very good point w Arnsparger but Nat Moore was just a rookie that year - one of my all time favorite fins but to say he replaced one of the best to ever play the game, and Nottingham Zonk is a stretch. One stupid play away from going to the title game - I truly believe that (a) the reason that play worked was the D let up for a split second when they thought Stabler was sacked and (b) had those 3 guys not gone to the WFL we beat Pitt at home and Minny again in the SB. Arnsparger was a huge loss too. Not minimizing that.

Um...Csonka, Kiick and Warfield were still there in '74. And my point about Moore, Nottingham, etc, isn't really about whether those players were as good, but that the Dolphins offense still excelled after the defections, but it was the defense which faltered....

-Nope that's the Poly Turf quickly fading under the Miami heat, it was replaced at the end of the season with a reformulated turf which turned out to be only slightly better....

-The Dolphins didn't start wearing white at home until the following season.

Back
Top Bottom