Coach Burke | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coach Burke

phinfan33

Club Member
Reaction score
Our DC certainly has to be smiling after this draft; because despite what any of us as fans think, his defense certainly got a much needed influx of young talent for him and his coaching staff to work with. I just hope that between the vets already on the roster and the rookies coming in, a strong defense will emerge.

Burke is going to be a big lynchpin in the Dolphins success this year. Our defense was absolute trash last year and that may have been very injury dependent.

I was hoping for a lot more out of Vance Joseph last year and hearing Burke saying they were going to mainly keep those same defensive principles didn't seem encouraging.

http://mia.247sports.com/Bolt/Dolphins-DC-Matt-Burke-promises-an-attack-defense-50522945

Burke, 40, has never held his current position before, but has experience as a linebackers coach with Cincinnati and Detroit and was a quality control coach on defense for Tennessee for a pair of seasons.

Holding a psychology degree from Dartmouth and a master’s in education from Boston College, the Massachusetts native will bring continuity to a defense that was comfortable in their current system.

“They’ll have an idea of what we’re looking to do,” Gase said of his players.

Burke also stressed continuity, noting the similarity between his approach and Joseph’s.

“We want to be an attacking defense,” Burke said. “It’s sort of what we started to try to build here this past season. Be aggressive. The way you keep points off the board are by getting stops,” Burke said. “So turnovers, third-down stops, red-zone stops.”

Harangued by injuries, Miami finished with the NFL’s fourth worst overall defense and the third worst against the rush, and in 2016 surrendered a franchise worst 6,122 total yards.

Dolphins Defensive Players - Injured Reserve 2016-2017

Isa Abdul-Quddus - IR 2 games
Chimdi Chekwa - IR 9 games
Reshad Jones - IR 11 games
Koa Misi - IR 14 games
Earl Mitchell - IR 7 games
Zach Vigil - IR 8 games

Cross our fingers for this year, but nothing is guaranteed.

Burke is going to be a big lynchpin in the Dolphins success this year. Our defense was absolute trash last year and that may have been very injury dependent.

I was hoping for a lot more out of Vance Joseph last year and hearing Burke saying they were going to mainly keep those same defensive principles didn't seem encouraging.

http://mia.247sports.com/Bolt/Dolphins-DC-Matt-Burke-promises-an-attack-defense-50522945

Dolphins Defensive Players - Injured Reserve 2016-2017

Isa Abdul-Quddus - IR 2 games
Chimdi Chekwa - IR 9 games
Reshad Jones - IR 11 games
Koa Misi - IR 14 games
Earl Mitchell - IR 7 games
Zach Vigil - IR 8 games

Cross our fingers for this year, but nothing is guaranteed.
I wouldn't be too critical of Vance Joseph. I just think we lacked significantly in talent and he did the best with what he had. Players like Butler, Paysinger Baccari Rambo, etc were scrubbers. That doesn't mean that the system is bad. Burke may be the beneficiary of timing. I'm optimistic.

I wouldn't be too critical of Vance Joseph. I just think we lacked significantly in talent and he did the best with what he had. Players like Butler, Paysinger Baccari Rambo, etc were scrubbers. That doesn't mean that the system is bad. Burke may be the beneficiary of timing. I'm optimistic.
He ran a scheme that leaves the team susceptible to the rushing attack of the other team. Last year I stated this when it was announced that we were going to be employing the Wide-9. Since Burke has stated that he is going to using the same system, it leaves very skeptical of it's success.

We did read or hear Gase and I think Burke himself say there would be tweaks to our current system/scheme. Maybe whatever those tweaks are will help tighten up our run defense and produce a better pass rush.

He ran a scheme that leaves the team susceptible to the rushing attack of the other team. Last year I stated this when it was announced that we were going to be employing the Wide-9. Since Burke has stated that he is going to using the same system, it leaves very skeptical of it's success.

It can succeed with the right players. If there was a new scheme implemented, then you lose the advantage continuity. When you have more than a handful of players with experience in a scheme, I'd think that most would get better at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did read or hear Gase and I think Burke himself say there would be tweaks to our current system/scheme. Maybe whatever those tweaks are will help tighten up our run defense and produce a better pass rush.
Keep in mind, "tweaks" can be a gentle way of saying "significant change." Maybe, "we'll still be using wide 9, ummm, 5% of the time." Noy saying that's what will happen, but professionals just don't dump on their predecessor.

Isn't Burke a branch off the Jim Schwartz coaching tree if there is one, due to having coached under him before?

Yeah Burke got his feet wet under Jim Schwartz (Defensive Coordinator) at Tennessee as a Defensive Quality Control Coach (2006-2008). Then when Schwartz went to Detroit to be their head coach (2009-2013), Burke was the Lions' Linebackers Coach (2009-2013).

After Schwartz got fired, he recommended Burke to Marvin Lewis for Linebacker Coach

“We’re fortunate to get a coach of Matt’s quality and experience to move into this spot,” [Marvin] Lewis said in a news release. “Matt has come up under the system of Jim Schwartz, starting with Jim at the Tennessee Titans and then moving on when Jim got the head coaching job at Detroit. He was one of Jim’s hand-picked guys, and I think most people know how much I respect Jim as a friend and colleague."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article...on-Lewis/661e5e46-6980-4836-b936-dcb2833e36d5

Last edited by a moderator:
let me mention that Gase and Burke have said that this wide9 defence is a derivative of a 4-3 over/3-4 under/hybrid defence/nickel 63% of the time defensive scheme. Tannebaum yesterday said Burke is our new co-ordinator and let's see what new things he brings to our defence even if it's the same system with his own emphasis.

Back
Top Bottom