Coaches Film: Breaking down the key plays and trends of Dolphins loss to Patriots

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Perfect72, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Perfect72

Perfect72 It's Only Happened ONCE!

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/12/05/19555-coaches-film-breaking-down-the-key-plays-and-trends-of-miami-dolphins-23-16-loss-to-new-england-patriots/

Coaches Film: Breaking down the key plays and trends of Miami Dolphins’ 23-16 loss to New England Patriots

by Ben VolinAfter reviewing the coaches tape, a breakdown of key plays and trends from the Dolphins’ 23-16 loss to the Patriots:
    1. Ryan Tannehill: A game of missed opportunities.
    Not to be too harsh on Tannehill, who has had many positive moments this season, but it couldn’t have been fun for him to watch the film, because he missed several opportunities to make big plays and possibly lead his team to victory. He finished 13-for-29 (44.8 percent) for 186 yards.
    “It’s tough when you miss throws you make 99 times out of 100 in practice and even in games,” he said Wednesday. “I was definitely frustrated that night and when I watched the film, but I’m over it now and just ready to make the throws the next time it comes up.”
    Let’s start with the most memorable miss: The bomb to Brian Hartline in the first quarter. Hartline is the receiver up top:
    [​IMG]
    The Dolphins run a playaction pass with the two receivers running vertical routes. See where the safety is located pre-snap:
    [​IMG]
    And look at the safety bite hard on the playaction fake, as well as the cornerback:
    [​IMG]
    Hartline’s got them beat, and it’s not even close:
    [​IMG]
    But the throw is JUST out of his reach:
    [​IMG]
    As for other examples of missed opportunities, there was this slant pass behind Reggie Bush, that could have been a big gain on third down:
    [​IMG]
    This time, Charles Clay is wide open for a big gain on this seam pattern in the third quarter:
    [​IMG]
    But the ball is thrown way behind Clay. He makes the catch for 20 yards, but it could have been so much more:
    [​IMG]
    In the fourth quarter, he threw incomplete to Hartline in the back of the end zone, but look at Anthony Fasano creeping out into the flat wide open:
    [​IMG]
    And one last deep ball to Hartline, who knows he’s wide open right away:
    [​IMG]
    But the ball is badly underthrown this time:
    [​IMG]
    And it’s another missed opportunity for the Dolphins:

SEE ARTICLE FOR REMAINDER OF IMAGES

2. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

Reading this was flat out depressing.

3. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Taking this in context I'm sure their are missed opportunities by EVERY nfl starting QB and offense in this league. The problem is our team doesn't get a chance at creating much offensive opportunity, thus they are magnified when missed. Does anyone here thinks we took advantage of all of our opportunites when we won games? Likely we didn't but we still won the game so no harm no....When you lose the sky falling! Tanne has made lots of plays for a rookie, I look forward to seeing him make more and I believe he will.

4. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

Dont forget that two of those plays would have been called back because the refs ****ing hate us.

5. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

Love these breakdowns.... Sad thing is Tanny left hundreds of yards out on the field.

6. scodoublet

scodoublet Zeroed In Donator

LOL...sad, but true!
    I do agree, every QB has a handful of plays like this each game, but ours are magnified, due to the lack of open plays we have.
    Tanne & Co just can't miss any opportunities, because they are few.

Looking back, everything looks so clear in freeze frame...

7. ANUFan

You think he's the only NFL starting QB that does/did? The ones that win their games surly they must of collected every last one of those "hundreds of yards on the field?"

8. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

These are the reasons we lost the game flat out. You want me to believe that Tannehill is a franchise QB then he better start making these throws. Some of these are WIDE open throws (2 to Hartline, the slant to Bush, play to Fasano). A franchise QB should be able to recognize and complete at a minimum of 2 of these. Luck, RG3, and even Wilson make throws much harder than this. These are suppose to be GUARANTEED throws in the NFL. If we are to believe in Tannehill this type of **** cant happen. Jury is still out on Tannehill.

9. ANUFan

If thats the case why didn't Brady make those "Franchise QB" throws in the game? Unless by your example he isn't a Franchise QB? Also, in previous games when Tanne made those kinda throws what was he then?

We're quick to label Tanne as inconsistent yet we as fans/posters go back and forth all the time, you should read a game day thread!!!

10. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Brady may have missed 1 wide open play to Hernandez. You think Brady would miss all 4 of those throws, let alone miss a wide open WR TWICE? You have lost your mind. Brady has made waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more throws than he has missed. Brady has 3 Superbowl Rings. Brady has 10 division titles. Brady has an undefeated regular season under his belt. I can keep going but I think you get my point.

Tom Brady has earned the right to miss a couple throws. Hell he has even earned the right to cost his team a game here or there, but there is no doubt he is a franchise QB.

Your argument is invalid.

I didnt say Tannehill is NOT a franchise QB or he cant be. I just said he needs to make WIDE OPEN plays and that the jury is still out on him. If you think he is the franchise QB we have been waiting for with what you have seen this season, then your standards are low for a franchise QB.

11. ANUFan

Thats the point according to you as a "Franchise QB" he shouldn't miss any! Also, for the record he missed "two" everything else you've written is trying to amend your point after the fact. Like I said fans/opinion givers can't be consistant but the expect a rookie Qb to be a Franchise Qb right away!

12. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

Yeah Brady has earned the right but he sure didn't his first year starting. two of my best friends are Pats fans, when he first got started he missed tons of stuff but his defense saved him time and again. You have to give Tannehill sometime to earn it. Jesus without the last five minutes of the Colts game Luck would have had three bad games in a row. He threw 7 ints in 3 games. He saved himself with Detroit letting him off the hook. I wish Tanny would have done the same for us but he didn't, this week. Last week he did do it. Give him time.

13. PatDog

PatDog Starter

Brady did not come into his own until the 03 season. His 4th season in the league and his 2nd SB appearance. So like many people say, you need at least 4 yrs to gauge a QB. Because they are either slowly ascending to be great or started like gangbusters but slowly declining like Vince young. Anyone can have a bad or great rookie season it's the future that matters.

14. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

AMEN.

I love these clowns who try to exonerate Tanny because somebody with a bonafied resume made the same mistake. It's such a naive 1-to-1 comparison given that guys like Brady have proven nobody needs to worry about them missing a few passes here and there.

That kind of trust/faith is earned, not given.

15. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

You mean Ryan "Errant Throw" Tannehill has not "earned" your trust?

16. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Ugh. We had the game won and Tannehill pissed it away.

17. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Dude...he missed one throw. Tannehill was high and behind all day.