Coaching Carousel 2016

Discussion in 'General NFL Forum' started by Spesh, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Figured it be easier to track these things if it was all in one place. Will update this post as more firings happen.

Rams: Jeff Fisher fired.

Bills: Rex Ryan fired.

Jaguars: Gus Bradley fired.

49'ers: Trent Baalke fired. Chip Kelly soon to be fired.

Broncos: Gary Kubiak retires.

Chargers: Mike McCoy fired.

Rumored potential openings include: Colts, Saints, and Lions.

2. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-says-no-changes-coaching-front-office-staffs

3. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

Is Kubiak confirmed?

4. dobrasz54

dobrasz54 Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

I know nothing has been said yet, but Marvin Lewis has to be at least somewhat nervous. Another meh year for him. A lot of turnover this year in the NFL.

5. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

I see McCoy going back to Denver and maybe taking over as HC because of the Kubiak retirement.

6. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

Man. These teams said **** black monday, get your *** out today!

Why are the Lions a potential opening?

7. mrbunglez

8. mrbunglez

Gruden in Washington is prob on the hot seat as well.

9. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Yup. He informed the locker room after the game and scheduled a press conference for tomorrow.

Some Broncos players are said to be whispering that they expect Wade Phillips to follow him out.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Good call, forgot about Lewis. While i think hes safe if he wants to return, there was talk of him being burned out on the coaching aspect and moving into the front office.

10. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Lost 2 in a row. If that extends to 4 straight then Caldwell might eat it.

Recall they hired a new GM last season who worked for the Patriots. Out of respect to the owner he held back on hiring a new coach last season, but if i recall correctly hes said to be enamored with Matt Patricia. Both Patricia and Josh McDaniels are bound to get some phone calls this offseason, so it might be Quinn's last chance to get one of his guys.

11. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

I think that GM would be hard pressed to fire a coach after their team made the playoffs.

12. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I was browsing a Bengals forum and apparently Marv already confirmed he'll be back. Bengal fans seem to hate Marv but love Dalton, and a lot seem to agree if Dalton had gone to Houston they would be Super Bowl contenders. Bengal fans are cray-cray.

13. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

I think the Bengals owner really likes Lewis, but that team had a rough year. I expect him to get one more shot and if not successful, he will be gone.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

yeah, I don't see this at all. Lions have had a solid year.

14. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Chip Kelly needs to find a nice little college gig and return to what he knows.

15. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

This was before the Packers game, but:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/12/ask_kyle_on_the_future_of_jim.html

http://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-li...uses-as-his-job-security-is-in-question-again

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...im-caldwell-job-questions-come-no-matter-what

Backing into the playoffs because another team choked might not be good enough. Not after sitting at 9-4 and looking at a first round bye. Not for an executive who hasn't had to even think about wildcard berths in years.

Caldwell is a known commodity. He isn't a relative unknown like Gase. What you see is what you get. If they bomb against the Seahawks (probable) then i wont be surprised if Quinn says hes seen enough and goes with those he worked with previously.

16. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Per Profootballtalk:

49'ers request permission to speak with the Chiefs Chris Ballard.
    Josh McDaniels schedules interviews with the 49'ers, Rams, and Jaguars this week.
    Doug Marrone is a candidate for the Rams job :)lol:).
    Kyle Shanahan to interview for the Jaguars job this Friday.
    Sean McVay expected to interview with the Rams this week.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eans-saints-gm-mickey-loomis-regarding-future

17. dobrasz54

dobrasz54 Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

Yeah he has made the playoffs a ton but he has done nothing once he has gotten there. You have to wonder when is that going to not cut it anymore?

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Dalton playing for the Texans makes them Super Bowl contenders.....that doesn't even sound right.

18. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet
    The #Jaguars are expected to interview #Bucs DC Mike Smith for their head coaching job, source said. He's been on their list for a while

19. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

I've heard Coughlin is interviewing in Jacksonville as well...

20. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

21. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-i-own-the-49ers-and-you-dont-dismiss-owners/

York is basically correct (his parents actually own it but they've essentially ceded responsibility to him). But there had to be a far less dickish way to handle this.

I doubt fans seriously expected the York family to sell the franchise in the next week or even the next month. But they are (rightfully) pissed and depressed and looking for some sliver of hope that things will turn around under this comedian. Insisting "my **** is bigger than yours so no" is not the most diplomatic solution.

Best case scenario they land a Mike Shanahan type, someone who has enough credibility to amass enough authority to fight off this asshat when he gets ginned up. Otherwise i can't see anyway this ends positively for San Francisco.

I pray to God the Dolphins are savvy enough give Jed a ring and pry loose Navorro Bowman.

22. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

[​IMG]
    [tweet]816008982150152200[/tweet]
    [tweet]815994137317150720[/tweet]
    [tweet]815999423499169792[/tweet]
    [tweet]816006279219081217[/tweet]
    [tweet]816011541208186880[/tweet]

Sean McDermott going to the Bills is the last ****ing thing i want to happen.

23. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He had one valid point, he kept saying over and over...the GM and head coach have to be on the same page, tied at the hip.

24. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

@RapSheet: With a great situation in KC & an excellent relationship wih GM John Dorsey, #Chiefs personnel man Chris Ballarwd won't interview with #49ers

Not us for once :lol: tho id love it if ballard was our gm

25. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Baalke supposedly refused to talk to the staff about what players they liked.

Mike McCoy was just kind of there. Was able to get production out of a limited offense, but his teams were always ravaged with injuries.

26. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

27. uk_dolfan

Looks like jets are about to fire kacy rodgers

You should never have left Kacy, would have been great with suh

28. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

The jump from position coach to Coordinator can be a bit much. Kacey is a guru as a DL coach, but he did seem a bit out of his depth at DC

29. uk_dolfan

@JayGlazer: Wanna clarify, Chip never told me Trent undercut him. I did, however, hear it from several others. (cont) http://tl.gd/nnakp7

Chip could end up as OC in NE. He was going to take a job under palpatine when the SF job turned up last year

30. uk_dolfan

After being a hot fh name last year.... mike shula really came back down to earth

31. Phinz1972

Phinz1972 Make me a sammich

While not for HC gig, is coaching spot, adds extra layer of LOL @ Jets, and I thought teams couldn't deny promotion interviews or is that just something along lines of can't deny HC promotion interview?

From Adam Schefter:

32. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/06/ryan-grigson-reportedly-will-be-back-too/

Keeping both is the epitome of idiocy. Jacksonville and Tennessee have the potential to be really good for a really long time, the Colts don't have time to spin the tires.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

The latter is correct. Teams can block interviews for coordinator positions but not head coaching openings.

33. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-anthony-lynn-about-tyrod-taylor-benching/

I'm starting to understand why the Bills were ranked so low in job attractiveness. :lol:

The way Ray Horton has been treated the last few years has been complete bull****. He was damned good for the Cardinals (and as a Steelers position coach), that team falling apart had everything to do with Ken Whisenhunt's quarterback disaster. He joins a Browns team only to watch their owner backstab Chudzinski. He reunites with his old coach in Tennessee after Whisenhunt lands a fully guaranteed deal and, after Lebeau surprisingly leaves Pitt, agrees to cede some power to benefit the team. That 5 year deal Whisenhunt signed ended up being 23 games and Horton is left adrift again. He returns to Cleveland only to watch the front office purge the roster of the little remaining talent it had.
    Perhaps theres something we don't know. Perhaps hes a raging *******. But from the outside looking in hes been screwed by factors that had absolutely nothing to do with the job hes done. I suppose i could slap him on the wrist for trusting Cleveland twice but both jobs came with the promise of patience from the owner. Such a damn shame to watch a good coach have his career shatter around him.

34. jfleag61

jfleag61 A True Fan

Especially when the starting QB has a finger on his throwing hand in a splint!

35. uk_dolfan

Doug Marrone gets the Jags job then :idk: I always thought he might have a shot. Can't be worse than Mike Smith

36. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

I'm very curious to see how Marrone does. He was in the minority (read: maybe the only person) who was serious about wanting Marrone last offseason. I'm glad they didn't listen to me as I wanted an experienced HC to take over. But all reports indicate Marrone is well liked in the locker room, and the team played really hard for him weeks 16 and 17.

37. uk_dolfan

@RapSheet: The #Jaguars aren’t done. They are hiring Tom Coughlin as an executive, source says. He interviewed as a coach, staying as exec.

I still think he is too old, but i suppose it doesnt really matter if he is just babysitting the gm

@RapSheet: What have the #Jaguars done? Tom Coughlin is EVP. Marrone is head coach. GM Dave Caldwell extended. All through 2019.

38. uk_dolfan

@viccarucci: #Bills are zeroed in on Sean McDermott as their next HC. Could have something finalized in the next day or so.

39. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

I can't say I wanted him here, but I think he is a good coach.

40. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think that, especially with the benefit of hindsight, you can see that Marrone did a pretty good job overall in Buffalo. I can't imagine Jacksonville was going to find someone better than him who would actually take that job. Everybody's going to talk about Blake Bortles -- and he's bad -- but that team in that division can survive and win with him until they can find someone better.

I don't necessarily view these jobs as a question of who the quarterback is, but what the ownership, GM, and overall talent level of the team look like. The division the team plays in has to factor in as well, which makes that Rams job a lot less appealing than it could be.

The Bills actually look like the team that has the best pieces outside of the Broncos, but then there is the bad ownership situation, the bad front office situation, and the fact that it's Buffalo. That they're zeroed in on a guy who has been passed over in every hiring cycle for what seems like 15 years tells you everything, I think. #1 qualification for that job is that you have to be willing to accept it.