Coaching Concern... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaching Concern...

JTech194

Starter
Reaction score
You never really know how good a coach is until you have a few years to evaluate their successes and failures. In Gase's first year the offense seemed competent. Not Great But Decent. I mean they improved from the previous year's stats.

But I've always thought that once the NFL teams get enough film on you. THAT'S when you can tell how good a coach is.. Can you adjust, can you keep things new and fresh so that you don't show tendencies that teams can pick up on. It seemed as though the jest knew exactly what was coming on defense before the we even ran the play. One of the biggest advantages the offense has over the defense is that they know where they are going and the defense is reacting. BUT the biggest equalizer is if the defenders have a bead on where the play is going before it's run... If that happens, BAD THINGS happen for the offense. It's harder to block, it's harder to get open and it's harder to run.

We will see how good Adam is now, can he change things up enough to where teams don't know what's coming????

I am focused on the talent concerns. Gase made chicken salad from chicken **** last year. Hard to do it twice

Not to make any excuses for Gase, because good Coaches succeed, no matter what, but Gase this year will have to do it after losing the QB he believed was ready to make that big jump... I new DC, new to his job...dealing with a hurricane...a LB he counted on going AWOL...another LB he counted on getting hurt on the 1st play of the 1st game of pre-season...having to play three straight games where the team has to travel 1000s of miles.

We will see what Gase is made of.

I am focused on the talent concerns. Gase made chicken salad from chicken **** last year. Hard to do it twice
Chicken ish??? Come on now....We are talented at WR, RB, Center, RT, LT and yes I'm adding Cutler as well in the talented department. The biggest issue is the playcalling on offense, not talent.
Now on defense, the biggest issue is definitely talent.

Chicken ish??? Come on now....We are talented at WR, RB, Center, RT, LT and yes I'm adding Cutler as well in the talented department. The biggest issue is the playcalling on offense, not talent.

Cutler sure as hell isnt a bonus in my mind, nor is the overall OL. Agree that we are very strong at WR.

The Center only played 5 games, the LT missed games, the LG last year slipped in the shower and missed a game, there was no continuity on the O-line with the constant shuffling. From what I've seen of Cutler...Moore is better. Cutler's ball placement has been awful since preseason. Yes he moves well in the pocket, yes he still has a strong arm but accuracy and timing are very important to the position and he doesn't have either. WR needs a QB, RB and QB need an O-line, O-line got destroyed by the Jets front 7 plain and simple. Tannehill could escape the pocket and throw a dart on the run that was accurate, well placed and on time. Cutler hasn't really shown that ability.

I also think defenses have already caught on to him wanting to force deep passes to Parker. That seemed obvious in the Jets game. Even in the Chargers game Parker got popped by the safety a few times right after getting his hands on the ball on some of the deep passes. Cover Parker deep, cover Landry short and you've basically eliminated the passing game with Cutler. Cutler has 77 attempts, 45 of those have been to Landry and Parker.

I second this! We had talent last year and the years before that, just couldn't put it all together. We def shouldn't be playing this poorly on offense... we have too much there. Not sure why Gase won't take shots, but it's starting to irk me. Why pay Stills and Parker if you plan on running underneath routes all game. We have other guys who can do that so trade somebody and get some help on defense if that's your plan. Don't like that idea, but we need help on that side of the ball.

We couldn't take shots against the Jets because the D-Line was pouring through right after the snap. The whole team had little focus and tired legs. All of those pre snap penalties never would happen under normal conditions.

The whole world knows our first offense play is hand off to Ajayi. Can we just do a play action for once. I was told we have the best receiving trio in the league.

C? we have one of those? the guy hardly plays and sure as hell didnt play well sunday

I second this! We had talent last year and the years before that, just couldn't put it all together. We def shouldn't be playing this poorly on offense... we have too much there. Not sure why Gase won't take shots, but it's starting to irk me. Why pay Stills and Parker if you plan on running underneath routes all game. We have other guys who can do that so trade somebody and get some help on defense if that's your plan. Don't like that idea, but we need help on that side of the ball.

Talented last year? Everybody knew we would get blown out in the first round of the playoffs and that's exactly what happened because that was not a playoff level team.

Our talent level hasn't gotten any better this year.

And it's going to get worse next year with the cap hell Tannenbaum has put us in.

I'm not happy with what Gase has done, especially this year with his crappy playcalling and boneheaded mistakes... but he's not working with great talent here, so he gets at least some benefit of the doubt for that. That being said I fully expect Gase to get fired soon, regardless of whether or not he deserves it. The only way we're winning anything with Tannenbaum running things is if Gase is some kind of miracle worker, and it's quickly becoming apparent he's not.

Man it's frustrating right now seeing us start so poorly and I'm including the W @ chargers. Both games the offence has been aneamic and this is backed up by our awful stats.
I recognise the adversity we have had to deal with all summer that peaked with the hurricane and the Timmons saga, so I'm not ready to throw Coach Gase under the bus, but..I am beginning to question his ability as an OC.
Now to his credit he appears to recognise the issues and take responsibility for them, which is admirable and befitting what I want and expect from our leader. He now has to take the necessary action to turn things round by being decisive and ruthless. He did it last year and hope he can do it again.
My fear is his ability to do so in time for the next 2 games, which are critical to us having any semblance of a decent season.
I'm lucky enough to have tickets for the game this week, albeit I'm so deflated and full of trepidation that I sure don't feel lucky at the prospect. More of a case of pending doom and dissapointment.
Here's hoping Coach G and the players can prove me wrong and at least put up a fight. I didn't expect much from the defence this year but heck I thought we'd be at least able to compete in offensive shoot outs with the talent we have.
Oh well..there's a saying we have here when supporting your team; win or lose always on the booze. That's certainly gonna be the case for me Sunday.
Let's go Miami, let's go Coach G.

Last edited:
It is funny how everyone has written off the Jets defense....There is not 1 glaring weakness other than youth IMO.

Whether or not our season is doomed by unfixable poor QB play, I have 100% confidence that Gase will do whatever he can to make the necessary changes to maximize the team's potential given the hand he was dealt.

Gase is a chess player; he has the intellect to identify the problems and correct what he can. But even the best chess players can't win when they are spotting their opponent a rook and a bishop.

Two examples come to mind already - 1) he didn't hesitate to replace last year's kicker and punter, and 2) there has been a vast improvement over last year's atrocious run defense. Whether that is attributable to a change in scheme or upgraded personnel or luck remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom