Cold facts of NFL: coaches icing kickers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cold facts of NFL: coaches icing kickers

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe, are you listening?
So will Philbin after his decision cost the Dolphins. Jets kicker Nick Folk had his 33-yarder blocked by Randy Starks, but the whistle had sounded just before that as Philbin signaled a timeout. Folk then hit the retry in overtime.
"I thought it was the right call," Philbin said. "I was planning all along to call timeout right before he kicked the ball. ... Typically we’re going to ice the kicker."
But why? Where’s the edge?
In fact, it could work to a kicking team’s advantage because the "warm-up" attempt can give the kicker a feel for the wind and the footing. It can give away the defense’s strategy for trying to block the field goal. It provides the center with a practice snap.
Most kickers say icing has no effect, and some welcome it because they get a "mulligan." Billy Cundiff, now with Washington, probably wishes he had been iced by the Patriots in last year’s AFC championship game before he rushed and missed a 32-yarder that would have tied it in the waning seconds for Baltimore.
http://kaaltv.com/article/stories/S2791545.shtml?cat=10203

the block against the Jets was obviously the blockers not blocking after hearing the whistle. I agree that it's a bad idea to call a TO last second to give the kicker a chance to warmup. Philbin obviously adjusted to that and called the TO early against the Cardinals on Jay Feely's FG in overtime.

If you're gonna miss, you're gonna miss, I don't think the timeout has anything to do with it.

I don't think icing the kicker has any effect during the regular season. Maybe in the playoffs and on the road (to let the hometown fans get louder), but generally I think it's a waste of time.

The best way to ice a kicker is when all the fans in the stadium just alternate yelling "Noonan. Miss it. Miss it Noonan!" Works everytime, I even do it at home. However don't use it as a contraceptive, I think that is how I got my 3rd kid.

Didn't Rex Ryan call timeout before Carpenter kicked? Didn't it "work"? Let's not act like Philbin is the only coach in history to try and ice the kicker.

Are we still talking about this? Really?

Most coaches aren't even thinking about icing the kicker, they're looking at the blocking formations so they see what changes they should make, such as which direction to bring in a heavy rush on.

What are your stats on blocked kicks when the line clearly lets up? Because that's what happened. The "blocked kick" lies 0% on Philbin and 100% on the Jets hearing the whistle and letting up.

Are we still talking about this? Really?

Most coaches aren't even thinking about icing the kicker, they're looking at the blocking formations so they see what changes they should make, such as which direction to bring in a heavy rush on.
then why do so many of them wait until the last second before they call the time out?

Fact: Kickers statistically make less field goals when you ice them vs when you dont. Enough said!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Fact: Kickers statistically make less field goals when you ice them vs when you dont. Enough said!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, it's ridiculous that coaches still do that out of habit, when the actual stats suggest it has no affect or even is beneficial to the kicker.

Back
Top Bottom