Colin Cowherd leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Roman529, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Now if they can just get rid of Steven A Smith and Skip Bayless, I might go back to watching them occasionally. :up:

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Looks like I'll be switching over to FOX Sports.

3. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Very sad day for me.

I've been a huge fan of Colin for more than a decade now. I made listening to Colin every single day as much as possible practically a Religion.

Put it on at 10:00AM in the office and try not to leave until 1:00PM. When I was working the night shift I had the ESPN Insider so that I could listen to his replay.

Guy is top shelf radio. Not a fan of Fox Sports 1 so I hope they figure out how to use him right.

4. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

Wonder if Bill Simmons follows.

5. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Hot Sauce Moderator Finheaven VIP

Sucks to see Colin go, hopefully Fox doesn't screw it up. Sounds like LeBatard might be his replacement.

6. Gonzo

Definitely won't be listening to ESPN then.

7. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

I never liked cowherd he was all over Kapernicks jock.

8. Daytona Fin

Per ESPN
    Colin Cowherd’s comments over the past two days do not reflect the values of ESPN or our employees. Colin will no longer appear on ESPN.

9. Gonzo

He also admitted he was wrong, which he does quite often. I think most people just don't like it when he says meanie things about the Phins.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Damn. I haven't been able to listen the past couple of days. What did he say? :lol: ESPN is one of the most petty companies in the business. The way they handled Bill Simmons was evidence enough of that.

10. Daytona Fin

He was derogatory towards Dominican Republic academics. Deadspin went viral with it and then ESPN pulled the plug.

http://deadspin.com/report-the-mlbp...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

11. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

I listened to the full audio.

In a vacuum, when you say that 'baseball is so easy to understand that 1/3rd of the league is Dominican', it just doesn't come off well. He did follow it up by saying that it's because a lot of those kids do not have the same educational opportunities that many kids in other countries do have. He points out that if he said "1/3 of the league is from countries with economic hardships therefore education hurdles", it probably would not have been an issue. I'm not sure that completely exalts him because he's essentially saying the Dominican Republic is too impoverished to properly educate it's citizens. Even if that was a fairly accurate depiction, I'm not sure I would want to hear that if I was from that Country.

That said, I am not a Cowherd fan and do not watch him with enough frequency to make judgement on his character, but at a glance I do not believe Cowherd has prejudice and hate in his heart. Sometimes decent people say stupid things, and when you're on the air for four hours a day or whatever crazy amount he is, you are bound to eventually say something you regret; I know I would.

If ESPN were not actively looking to cut-costs with their top-end on-air talent, I wonder if they might have handled this slightly differently.

12. JCane

It's a crock of ****.

He didn't say anything that was wrong.

13. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

I'm Latino and I wasn't offended by his comment, Now was it a stupid thing to say yes only because everyone is so offended by everything these days.

14. Gonzo

Interesting that this happens immediately after he makes a deal to leave ESPN AND after he's been ripping baseball (rightfully).

15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

it was many times that Cowherd has said something that can be seen as harmless or offensive, but probably shouldn't have been said. What got him in trouble is when he explained himself it pissed off the Dominican players even more. Colin is an... interesting case. I think at times he's very insightful and does add a good commentary to a lot of things, but I also find him very narrowminded most of the time and am not a fan of his attitude towards anything that isn't big city

16. slk018

slk018 Banned Hammered

I am neutral on Cowherd. Sometimes I like his points, sometimes he comes off as an elitist snob.

I don't think what he said was offensive at all. It seemed to me he was not ripping the intelligence of Dominican players, just the education system in general.
    I played a lot of baseball growing up and in college, and Colin's original point was spot on. It is not rocket science. In fact, the less thinking you do in game the better.
    Funny story, I had a coach in college at a mid major D1 program with pretty high education standards. He went on a rant about needing less smart guys bc they think too much. It was prompted by a guy with a 4.0, pre med etc (who is a doctor now) who was 6' 2 had a ton of power, a cannon arm and could really run. he was struggling at the plate, and he couldn't understand how he had so much talent and was not hitting in the game. He came to the conclusion it was bc all these "smart guys" think too much.
    This has nothing to do with Cowherd's statements on Dominican players, just his original point about baseball not being that complicated.
    Cowherd has to know, you can't say anything remotely controversial about any group of people.

17. Daytona Fin

18. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

19. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

I believe the network is better without him. I found him annoying.

20. JCane

How is the network "better" without him when he had the #1 nationally syndicated sports radio show?

I imagine it's not easy to replace that. Seems to me this is the equivalent of replacing a starting QB with very few options on the market.

21. Daytona Fin

Now that football season is back in gear, I usually put my radio on AM while driving to get my football fix in. Had it on at Cowherd's usual time slot, which I normally do, and it was very dull. I don't who it was but I changed the station. Sucks that he is gone.

22. JCane

It's atrocious radio.

Guarantee the ESPN ratings are falling at a similar rate to the current Wall Street debacle.

23. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here. Finheaven VIP

It's looking like they're going to give Cowherd's old slot to the Le Batard Show which is easily my favorite. It'll take some getting used to since I've listened to Dan and Stugotz and their current slot for years, but it doesn't matter much.

24. JCane

Le Batard was the most obvious choice if ESPN wants to get some of those 10:00AM - 1:00PM listeners to return. Wise option.

25. Gonzo

I'll stick to Cowherd's show which starts in a couple weeks.

26. JCane

Does it? I will definitely follow but I have not looked into his new show. I heard that despite being let go from ESPN, his new show wouldn't begin until the end of the year. His contract with ESPN was up at the end of the year so it made sense that a new show wouldn't begin until about that time. I assumed that Colin would take a lengthy vacation to focus on his new book and wine adventures.

27. Gonzo

Not sure if something has changed since the following tweet, but I hope not:

[tweet]633011847281512448[/tweet]

I don't hate Le Batard (except for the terrible rants and yelling), but I'll listen to Cowherd over his show any day. I may tune into Le Batard on days Cowherd is out of town, depending on the replacement.

28. D0lphan72

D0lphan72 War... War never changes Finheaven VIP Donator

Love Cowherd, best radio show host out there