Colledge- Starter or Depth? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colledge- Starter or Depth?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I think it was a good signing but, not sure if the team is thinking of him starting or depth. When we see the contract, it should add some insight. I was guessing he could get up to $3M for a 1 year deal. To compare, Shelly got $5.5M for 2 years, with a $1.5M guarantee.

At this point I think they are throwing poop at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just another guy to throw into the mix and hope that he either rises above the others or that the good ol' competition makes somebody else rise. Kind of what we've often done in the past.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
:D

I think more then anything he is insurance policy just in case Shelly Smith can't get his pass-blocking fixed. The way Dallas Thomas is looking, if it continues, he's a shoe in to start at L-guard, but Smith being the top run-blocking guard is not going to cut it on Miami's team.

Miami's line needs to be a top pass-blocking team that can that can keep Ryan upright 1st and foremost, being a one dimensional run-blocking guard will not work out for Shelly if he wants to start.

Starter until Pouncey returns. If he is good, he sticks at RG.

At this point I think they are throwing poop at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just another guy to throw into the mix and hope that he either rises above the others or that the good ol' competition makes somebody else rise. Kind of what we've often done in the past.
:D

The good, as well as the bad, is that Benton has many options at OG and center. I would hate to see this competition drag on into the preseason. It's tuff enough to put 5 new guys on the field together without not knowing who is playing where.

The good, as well as the bad, is that Benton has many options at OG and center. I would hate to see this competition drag on into the preseason. It's tuff enough to put 5 new guys on the field together without not knowing who is playing where.

Why wouldn't you want it to "drag into the preseason?" Of course you do! If it doesn't, it means that we have ZERO competition. I want guys that can replace each other in a pinch and have every chance to start. I don't want a bunch of back-ups that just suck. That is what you get if things don't "drag into the preseason."

I think more then anything he is insurance policy just in case Shelly Smith can't get his pass-blocking fixed. The way Dallas Thomas is looking, if it continues, he's a shoe in to start at L-guard, but Smith being the top run-blocking guard is not going to cut it on Miami's team.

Miami's line needs to be a top pass-blocking team that can that can keep Ryan upright 1st and foremost, being a one dimensional run-blocking guard will not work out for Shelly if he wants to start.

I don't believe that Lazor wants us to be the pass happy team of last year, and wants to create a balance. Until someone/anyone on the OL proves they can run block, Shelly has a pretty good shot here.

I don't feel any of our guards should be starting outside of the unknown rookie which u cannot judge yet but its not like we have a choice.
He is the only guard that has proven he is a starter in the NFL the rest have been career backups

Why wouldn't you want it to "drag into the preseason?" Of course you do! If it doesn't, it means that we have ZERO competition. I want guys that can replace each other in a pinch and have every chance to start. I don't want a bunch of back-ups that just suck. That is what you get if things don't "drag into the preseason."

The reason is simple. The OL, above all other aspects of the team, has to play together. The longer it takes to have 5 new guys doing that, the worse they are.

I don't feel any of our guards should be starting outside of the unknown rookie which u cannot judge yet but its not like we have a choice.
He is the only guard that has proven he is a starter in the NFL the rest have been career backups

Where does he play?

It's certainly not an awe-inspiring interior, whatever combination we put out. At this stage, I think everyone would settle for a tolerable "finger in the dyke " (ouch!) scenario until the bye week and/or Pouncey comes back.

New guys, new schemes, new OC, new o-line coach, rookies needed to start, stand-in "Qb of the line" center..... it's a lot to ask any roster of fatties to pull into a cohesive unit.

We really should have signed an extra guard in FA. I don't think that's a case of hindsight being 20:20, I think it's a view held by a lot of people since FA opened.

Until TC opens, we won't know what combination clicks to any degree. The fact we signed a guard/center signals to me that they're not looking at Garner as the leading candidate for the center spot. Until proven otherwise in TC it looks like a shootout between Smith at C and Colledge at RG or vice versa.

I don't believe that Lazor wants us to be the pass happy team of last year, and wants to create a balance. Until someone/anyone on the OL proves they can run block, Shelly has a pretty good shot here.

I totally disagree. If Shelley is on the field Wallace might as well not even dress out. We will have no deep threat if Shelley is in pass pro. Our OL takes a significant step BACKWARDS if Shelley is a starter. I think that is what they have finally figured out, and the Collegde signing is for him to play RG until Turner gets up to speed and can replace him. Garner, Brenner or Larsen will be the center.

I totally disagree. If Shelley is on the field Wallace might as well not even dress out. We will have no deep threat if Shelley is in pass pro. Our OL takes a significant step BACKWARDS if Shelley is a starter. I think that is what they have finally figured out, and the Collegde signing is for him to play RG until Turner gets up to speed and can replace him. Garner, Brenner or Larsen will be the center.

KT, but how do you really feel about Shelly? LOL I do respect your opinion, and have not seen him play to agree or disagree. There are many very mixed review on him from PFF to other very knowledgeable posters and analysts. Some believe his problems can be corrected. Others believe him to be a wasted signing.

I'm gonna wait and see.

No, I agree with you that Miami needs to be able to run the ball, and Lazor will expect Miami to be able to run it as well as pass, but to me having a line that is ineffective protecting the QB for a 2nd straight year out of any position will not be tolerated.

I believe if the line is somewhat effective run-blocking, but do very good job pass-blocking, the coaching staff could live with it, but if it's the opposite, the coaching staff will not allow it to continue.

Even though Lazor has said he will run the ball quite a bit this season, I believe Miami will still throw it a bit more then run it, what they will not do this year, which they did last year, is not get cute and try to pass it when it's 3rd and short.

The reason is simple. The OL, above all other aspects of the team, has to play together. The longer it takes to have 5 new guys doing that, the worse they are.

And I'll say it again...if you have a bunch of guys coming in that you don't know a lot about and you are able to figure it all out before preseason...it means that your backups suck!

Back
Top Bottom