Colledge- Starter or Depth?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by So Be, Jul 1, 2014.

1. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I think it was a good signing but, not sure if the team is thinking of him starting or depth. When we see the contract, it should add some insight. I was guessing he could get up to $3M for a 1 year deal. To compare, Shelly got $5.5M for 2 years, with a $1.5M guarantee.

2. Dolphin North

Dolphin North A True Fan

At this point I think they are throwing poop at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just another guy to throw into the mix and hope that he either rises above the others or that the good ol' competition makes somebody else rise. Kind of what we've often done in the past.
    Albert Einstein
    :D

3. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think more then anything he is insurance policy just in case Shelly Smith can't get his pass-blocking fixed. The way Dallas Thomas is looking, if it continues, he's a shoe in to start at L-guard, but Smith being the top run-blocking guard is not going to cut it on Miami's team.

Miami's line needs to be a top pass-blocking team that can that can keep Ryan upright 1st and foremost, being a one dimensional run-blocking guard will not work out for Shelly if he wants to start.

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Starter until Pouncey returns. If he is good, he sticks at RG.

5. So Be

So Be A True Fan

The good, as well as the bad, is that Benton has many options at OG and center. I would hate to see this competition drag on into the preseason. It's tuff enough to put 5 new guys on the field together without not knowing who is playing where.

6. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Why wouldn't you want it to "drag into the preseason?" Of course you do! If it doesn't, it means that we have ZERO competition. I want guys that can replace each other in a pinch and have every chance to start. I don't want a bunch of back-ups that just suck. That is what you get if things don't "drag into the preseason."

7. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I don't believe that Lazor wants us to be the pass happy team of last year, and wants to create a balance. Until someone/anyone on the OL proves they can run block, Shelly has a pretty good shot here.

8. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I don't feel any of our guards should be starting outside of the unknown rookie which u cannot judge yet but its not like we have a choice.
    He is the only guard that has proven he is a starter in the NFL the rest have been career backups

9. So Be

So Be A True Fan

The reason is simple. The OL, above all other aspects of the team, has to play together. The longer it takes to have 5 new guys doing that, the worse they are.

10. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Where does he play?

11. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

It's certainly not an awe-inspiring interior, whatever combination we put out. At this stage, I think everyone would settle for a tolerable "finger in the dyke " (ouch!) scenario until the bye week and/or Pouncey comes back.

New guys, new schemes, new OC, new o-line coach, rookies needed to start, stand-in "Qb of the line" center..... it's a lot to ask any roster of fatties to pull into a cohesive unit.

We really should have signed an extra guard in FA. I don't think that's a case of hindsight being 20:20, I think it's a view held by a lot of people since FA opened.

Until TC opens, we won't know what combination clicks to any degree. The fact we signed a guard/center signals to me that they're not looking at Garner as the leading candidate for the center spot. Until proven otherwise in TC it looks like a shootout between Smith at C and Colledge at RG or vice versa.

12. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

I totally disagree. If Shelley is on the field Wallace might as well not even dress out. We will have no deep threat if Shelley is in pass pro. Our OL takes a significant step BACKWARDS if Shelley is a starter. I think that is what they have finally figured out, and the Collegde signing is for him to play RG until Turner gets up to speed and can replace him. Garner, Brenner or Larsen will be the center.

13. So Be

So Be A True Fan

KT, but how do you really feel about Shelly? LOL I do respect your opinion, and have not seen him play to agree or disagree. There are many very mixed review on him from PFF to other very knowledgeable posters and analysts. Some believe his problems can be corrected. Others believe him to be a wasted signing.

I'm gonna wait and see.

14. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

No, I agree with you that Miami needs to be able to run the ball, and Lazor will expect Miami to be able to run it as well as pass, but to me having a line that is ineffective protecting the QB for a 2nd straight year out of any position will not be tolerated.

I believe if the line is somewhat effective run-blocking, but do very good job pass-blocking, the coaching staff could live with it, but if it's the opposite, the coaching staff will not allow it to continue.

Even though Lazor has said he will run the ball quite a bit this season, I believe Miami will still throw it a bit more then run it, what they will not do this year, which they did last year, is not get cute and try to pass it when it's 3rd and short.

15. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

And I'll say it again...if you have a bunch of guys coming in that you don't know a lot about and you are able to figure it all out before preseason...it means that your backups suck!

16. Dolphin North

Dolphin North A True Fan

I should amend my post above. Talking to another guy who is not necessarily an OL guy, but very good at evaluating players as a fan, especially QB's being a former one in college...oh and he also is not very pleased with Hickey and many of his moves to date...

He said he thinks this was a good move and says he thinks Colledge is "solid". So that's very encouraging. Especially from a guy who is always very objective since I have known him and, as I said, is not a Hickey fan so far. But he does like this move. Nobody is always right, but this encourages me a ton knowing how often this guy has been right about players in the past. This doesn't necessarily help to answer the starter or depth question. I guess we have to wait and see. But it's some positive insight I thought I'd add.

17. So Be

So Be A True Fan

It is very debatable. IMO, we are not going to be very good in pass protect no matter who starts. I believe that having one guy who is VG on the run and not as good on the pass will actually help the passing game more in taking pressure off RT by being able to run more effectively than going the other way.

18. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

To me it might just mean that your starters have stepped up and are pretty good. Not that I expect that to happen, but it COULD mean that, in a galaxy far far away, where good things actually happened to the dolphins ??

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

I agree with your friend. A lot of what Hickey has done has not impressed me. This is one of his better/maybe best, signings to date.

19. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Some Cards fans believe Colledge was their best lineman last season. I didn't realise he was that solid for them. Some encouragement...

20. Digital

Digital Starter

Shelley is a project.

Colledge is a stopgap who will likely start while Pouncey is out. The hope is that Shelley and Turner developed quickly and claim the starting guard spots.

Until that happens, Colledge, Garner, Thomas, Fox and Brenner will all be given shots at OG and throw Larsen into the mix at C. Not all can make the roster, so the time to prove it starts later this month.

21. So Be

So Be A True Fan

He was Clabo reversed in having 6 good games in the first half, including SF, Seattle. Carolina, and no good games in the second half with 5 bad ones.

22. Dolphin North

Dolphin North A True Fan

I wonder if it was conditioning or an injury maybe?

23. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

As bad as our tackles were last year, when teams in our division needed to make a play on our O, they came right up the middle. Our guards were pitiful and have been for years. I hope our youngsters develop into something special because these retreads are a temporary stopgap at best.

24. phinking

phinking A True Fan

To me it looks like the Coaches weren't that impressed with Dallas Thomas after all. I was never fooled for one minute becaused he was first on the depth chart at LG. I know what I saw last year and it had NOTHING to do with his shoulder surgery. He just can't play, the coaches may be seeing that and they now have the need to go get a veteran LG. Keep in mind even though Pouncey's injury leaves a hole in the O-Line, he is a C not a G.

25. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

My very strong and informed position is that i really have no idea.....................

26. So Be

So Be A True Fan

No idea if Colledge had injury problems in the second half but, hard to believe it would be conditioning. Same no idea on what happened to Clabo in the first 6 games, and then being ou best OL in the last 9. I even wondered if Cog and crew had some bearing on his adapting.

IF Colledge plays as he did in the first half, we could have a good starting OG. If he plays as he did in the second half, it will be a bad signing.

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I wont judge Thomas on some stuff done in shorts. So far I know he wasn't good enough to get playing time on a horrible oline last year.
    He may be a better player in pads this year, definitely hope so.

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

He still should be better than anyone else we had on roster to start at guard. Guard is still a huge weakness until proven otherwise. My take is whoever plays guard will probably be about as effective as John Jerry was or would be.
    Jerry was nothing special but was not a complete disaster at guard. I see us as below average at the position still

29. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Yeah, the move was made after the Pouncey injury. Don't see it as a reflection on Dallas one way or the other.

30. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Jerry was good in pass blocking but, nothing on the run. Shelly is good on the run but, nothing in pass protect. Finding an OG who can do both around average would be a VG thing. Cog was actually one but, not a good fit, among other things. lol

31. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

This. This. A thousand times this!

32. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I think Cog was very overated PFF wise and on field wise. He has never been deserving of a pro bowl although its pure popularity. That being said Incognito who I think was very average was better than any guard we have on roster. Im glad he is gone though. He is an idiot , a poor leader and a pure headcase.
    Cogs as a player doesn't hurt you on the oline with his play. If you have top level people around him your line will be solid. if you have the crap we had last year he wont make it beter

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

That's another reason I don't feel like Smith is an upgrade to anybody. St Louis for all its flaws has a decent line coach and he didn't seem to see Shelly as anything special. Hell our own line coach dindt think he was good enough to keep on roster in Houston so who knows.

34. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

No clue... depth I hope

35. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I watched Cog on tape since he came here. He was not a Pro Bowl player but, he was average or above each year. I'll take that, and twice on Sundays, for two OG's.

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I would agree he was average as a player but he was definitely not worth the extra that he brought with him.

37. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Well ...

As much as it bit us directly in the *** last season, he did rid us of the *****. :chuckle:

38. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

yea just another wasted second round pick. Who knows maybe if you don't have a toxic player like Cogs this never becomes an issue. Martin was a decent oline prospect for us before the meltdown.
    he needed a lot of improvement but he had been far from a bust on the field. As a prospect don't see James as superior to him. MArtin was actually much better than James in college even though that means nothing at pro level.

39. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Whoa whoa whoa.. Decent o line prospect before the bust?! That was one of the worst rookie seasons i have seen from a o lineman from an effort and strength standpoint.. In his second year he got yanked from LT mid season than you get your bust..
    Luck would always have to turn his shoulders and run at Stanford too.. He didnt just learn how to move in the nfl

40. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

martin was one of the best pass protectors in college. as for getting yanked he still was starting and mckinnie cannot play right tackle. if he didn't quit on team he would still be a starter for us.