Colledge- Starter or Depth? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colledge- Starter or Depth?

I should amend my post above. Talking to another guy who is not necessarily an OL guy, but very good at evaluating players as a fan, especially QB's being a former one in college...oh and he also is not very pleased with Hickey and many of his moves to date...

He said he thinks this was a good move and says he thinks Colledge is "solid". So that's very encouraging. Especially from a guy who is always very objective since I have known him and, as I said, is not a Hickey fan so far. But he does like this move. Nobody is always right, but this encourages me a ton knowing how often this guy has been right about players in the past. This doesn't necessarily help to answer the starter or depth question. I guess we have to wait and see. But it's some positive insight I thought I'd add.

No, I agree with you that Miami needs to be able to run the ball, and Lazor will expect Miami to be able to run it as well as pass, but to me having a line that is ineffective protecting the QB for a 2nd straight year out of any position will not be tolerated.

I believe if the line is somewhat effective run-blocking, but do very good job pass-blocking, the coaching staff could live with it, but if it's the opposite, the coaching staff will not allow it to continue.

Even though Lazor has said he will run the ball quite a bit this season, I believe Miami will still throw it a bit more then run it, what they will not do this year, which they did last year, is not get cute and try to pass it when it's 3rd and short.

It is very debatable. IMO, we are not going to be very good in pass protect no matter who starts. I believe that having one guy who is VG on the run and not as good on the pass will actually help the passing game more in taking pressure off RT by being able to run more effectively than going the other way.

And I'll say it again...if you have a bunch of guys coming in that you don't know a lot about and you are able to figure it all out before preseason...it means that your backups suck!
To me it might just mean that your starters have stepped up and are pretty good. Not that I expect that to happen, but it COULD mean that, in a galaxy far far away, where good things actually happened to the dolphins ??

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

I should amend my post above. Talking to another guy who is not necessarily an OL guy, but very good at evaluating players as a fan, especially QB's being a former one in college...oh and he also is not very pleased with Hickey and many of his moves to date...

He said he thinks this was a good move and says he thinks Colledge is "solid". So that's very encouraging. Especially from a guy who is always very objective since I have known him and, as I said, is not a Hickey fan so far. But he does like this move. Nobody is always right, but this encourages me a ton knowing how often this guy has been right about players in the past. This doesn't necessarily help to answer the starter or depth question. I guess we have to wait and see. But it's some positive insight I thought I'd add.
I agree with your friend. A lot of what Hickey has done has not impressed me. This is one of his better/maybe best, signings to date.

Some Cards fans believe Colledge was their best lineman last season. I didn't realise he was that solid for them. Some encouragement...

Shelley is a project.

Colledge is a stopgap who will likely start while Pouncey is out. The hope is that Shelley and Turner developed quickly and claim the starting guard spots.

Until that happens, Colledge, Garner, Thomas, Fox and Brenner will all be given shots at OG and throw Larsen into the mix at C. Not all can make the roster, so the time to prove it starts later this month.

Some Cards fans believe Colledge was their best lineman last season. I didn't realise he was that solid for them. Some encouragement...

He was Clabo reversed in having 6 good games in the first half, including SF, Seattle. Carolina, and no good games in the second half with 5 bad ones.

As bad as our tackles were last year, when teams in our division needed to make a play on our O, they came right up the middle. Our guards were pitiful and have been for years. I hope our youngsters develop into something special because these retreads are a temporary stopgap at best.

To me it looks like the Coaches weren't that impressed with Dallas Thomas after all. I was never fooled for one minute becaused he was first on the depth chart at LG. I know what I saw last year and it had NOTHING to do with his shoulder surgery. He just can't play, the coaches may be seeing that and they now have the need to go get a veteran LG. Keep in mind even though Pouncey's injury leaves a hole in the O-Line, he is a C not a G.

I wonder if it was conditioning or an injury maybe?

No idea if Colledge had injury problems in the second half but, hard to believe it would be conditioning. Same no idea on what happened to Clabo in the first 6 games, and then being ou best OL in the last 9. I even wondered if Cog and crew had some bearing on his adapting.

IF Colledge plays as he did in the first half, we could have a good starting OG. If he plays as he did in the second half, it will be a bad signing.

To me it looks like the Coaches weren't that impressed with Dallas Thomas after all. I was never fooled for one minute becaused he was first on the depth chart at LG. I know what I saw last year and it had NOTHING to do with his shoulder surgery. He just can't play, the coaches may be seeing that and they now have the need to go get a veteran LG. Keep in mind even though Pouncey's injury leaves a hole in the O-Line, he is a C not a G.

I wont judge Thomas on some stuff done in shorts. So far I know he wasn't good enough to get playing time on a horrible oline last year.
He may be a better player in pads this year, definitely hope so.

No idea if Colledge had injury problems in the second half but, hard to believe it would be conditioning. Same no idea on what happened to Clabo in the first 6 games, and then being ou best OL in the last 9. I even wondered if Cog and crew had some bearing on his adapting.

IF Colledge plays as he did in the first half, we could have a good starting OG. If he plays as he did in the second half, it will be a bad signing.

He still should be better than anyone else we had on roster to start at guard. Guard is still a huge weakness until proven otherwise. My take is whoever plays guard will probably be about as effective as John Jerry was or would be.
Jerry was nothing special but was not a complete disaster at guard. I see us as below average at the position still

I wont judge Thomas on some stuff done in shorts. So far I know he wasn't good enough to get playing time on a horrible oline last year.
He may be a better player in pads this year, definitely hope so.

Yeah, the move was made after the Pouncey injury. Don't see it as a reflection on Dallas one way or the other.

He still should be better than anyone else we had on roster to start at guard. Guard is still a huge weakness until proven otherwise. My take is whoever plays guard will probably be about as effective as John Jerry was or would be.
Jerry was nothing special but was not a complete disaster at guard. I see us as below average at the position still

Jerry was good in pass blocking but, nothing on the run. Shelly is good on the run but, nothing in pass protect. Finding an OG who can do both around average would be a VG thing. Cog was actually one but, not a good fit, among other things. lol

Back
Top Bottom