College Coaching Changes | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

College Coaching Changes

confirmed, Mark becomes the 3rd Stoops brother to become a head coach. He'll be confirmed later.

Which is still weird. We've been hearing around here that agents have been telling their coaching clients to stay away from the Kentucky job if you're an "up and comer". It's a dead end job.

as long as the boosters, fanbase, and coaches realize and accept that they are not competing for SEC titles, it's a good job. Rich Brooks went to 4 straight bowl games winning 3 of them, got some decent recruits (for Kentucky), and was putting players in the NFL. As long as the Wildcat folks realize that their potential is that of an 8 win team then it's a good stepping stone job.

Now a lot of Kentucky folk were expecting some of the hot mid major coaches like Darrell Hazell, Dan Doeren, and Mike MacIntyre to jump at the job. That wasn't happening.

confirmed, Mark becomes the 3rd Stoops brother to become a head coach. He'll be confirmed later.

as long as the boosters, fanbase, and coaches realize and accept that they are not competing for SEC titles, it's a good job. Rich Brooks went to 4 straight bowl games winning 3 of them, got some decent recruits (for Kentucky), and was putting players in the NFL. As long as the Wildcat folks realize that their potential is that of an 8 win team then it's a good stepping stone job.

Now a lot of Kentucky folk were expecting some of the hot mid major coaches like Darrell Hazell, Dan Doeren, and Mike MacIntyre to jump at the job. That wasn't happening.

I can hear Mitch Barnhart telling Mark Stoops right now:

You want us to spend how much money to improve our football facilities? Sure we can do that <wink-wink>. Let me just put a call into Mr. Calipairi and see if it's ok."

Ellis Johnson is in fact one and done at Southern Miss. That's gonna happen when you go winless one year after the coach you are replacing goes 12-2 (school record) and missing a bowl game for only the 2nd time since 97 (They missed a bowl in 2001, but were bowl eligible).

I know people don't like college coaches only getting 1 or 2 years, but that was a disaster.

Apparently Les Miles is using Arkansas to get more money out of LSU.

Apparently within the past couple of days Auburn had a phone conversation with Charlie Strong. However just like their usual schtick (see Bobby Petrino) they did not ask U of L AD Tom Jurich from permission to speak with Strong. One Auburn website said it was an "interview" but an angry Charlie Strong said last night that he hasn't interviewed with them. Auburn is about to be a dumpster fire and has extremely meddlesome boosters. He would be taking over a program hit with sanctions by the NCAA but with boosters wanting him to win now and beat Alabama. That's not a very good situation.

I'm guessing he politely told them thanks but no thanks. Strong is said to be "giddy" about U of L's move to the ACC and he and Jurich were seen walking around Papa John's Cardinal Stadium discussing enclosing the stadium into a bowl via a new seating expansion. I seriously doubt anything comes from this.

only place I could see Strong leaving for in a heartbeat is Florida because that's where he spent a majority of his coaching career. Otherwise, I don't see him leaving Louisville as long as Teddy is there. But even then, he's doing a good job building the Louisville brand bringing in some talented players that wouldn't even sniff Louisville otherwise and have a shot at getting 5* WR James Quick.

only place I could see Strong leaving for in a heartbeat is Florida because that's where he spent a majority of his coaching career. Otherwise, I don't see him leaving Louisville as long as Teddy is there. But even then, he's doing a good job building the Louisville brand bringing in some talented players that wouldn't even sniff Louisville otherwise and have a shot at getting 5* WR James Quick.

Pretty much, but I do think he would consider the SC job if the 'Ol Ball Coach ever retires (who knows, he may be there until the day he dies). U of L was the 16th most profitable athletic department last season. With ACC money we will move into the top 10 most profitable. If Strong leaves it won't be about money. We can park a Brinks truck on his front lawn if need be.

Oh, and Quick says we're still the leader even after his official visit to OSU last weekend. Yesterday's announcement about the ACC can only help with that. When it's all said and done I think he ends up as a Card.

the joke going around right now is that Auburn has reportedly had contact with Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, and Charlie Strong which means Mark Mangino will be the next Auburn Head Coach (Patterson supposedly was heavily interested in the Auburn job last time, but they gave it to Chizek)

Anyways, Stoops is taking James Coley to Kentucky with him in some capacity according to sources and will also be bringing in Texas Tech OC/QB Coach Neal Brown. If both are true, those are pretty impressive gets. Kentucky is reportedly going to upgrade the football facilities. Reports are they saw the type of effect James Franklin has had on Vandy and are hoping Stoops has that effect on them.

Speaking of Mangino, he's in talks to become Colorado's head coach.

BC has reportedly contacted Jim Tressel's representatives, but they'd have to show cause for hire to the NCAA if they decided to go that direction.

NC State may be looking at Todd Grantham, Georgia DC. Fans want James Franklin, but he's not leaving Vandy.

The Vols nation still thinks they're getting Gruden.

I think you'll see movement after the Conference Championship games.

the joke going around right now is that Auburn has reportedly had contact with Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, and Charlie Strong which means Mark Mangino will be the next Auburn Head Coach (Patterson supposedly was heavily interested in the Auburn job last time, but they gave it to Chizek)

Anyways, Stoops is taking James Coley to Kentucky with him in some capacity according to sources and will also be bringing in Texas Tech OC/QB Coach Neal Brown. If both are true, those are pretty impressive gets. Kentucky is reportedly going to upgrade the football facilities. Reports are they saw the type of effect James Franklin has had on Vandy and are hoping Stoops has that effect on them.

Speaking of Mangino, he's in talks to become Colorado's head coach.

BC has reportedly contacted Jim Tressel's representatives, but they'd have to show cause for hire to the NCAA if they decided to go that direction.

NC State may be looking at Todd Grantham, Georgia DC. Fans want James Franklin, but he's not leaving Vandy.

The Vols nation still thinks they're getting Gruden.

I think you'll see movement after the Conference Championship games.

I'll believe it when I see it. Those old time coal UK boosters only care about basketball. They ran Bear off all those decades ago and haven't looked back since. In the 1980s they told UK guard Rex Chapman not to date black women and finally forced basketball coach Tubby Smith out in 2007. They control UK's money and they'll tell Barnhart what to do with it.

If they really are going to finally put some money in the football program then it isn't because of Vandy, it's because of the University of Louisville. We are showing their redneck fanbase that it is possible for an athletic department to pour money into football AND have a top basketball program. They are consistent with their superiority complex over U of L. They've got to keep us as their percieved "little brother".

Gruden officially pulls himself out of the Tennessee coaching search. A lot of Vols fans are now thinking they can get Mike Gundy which is almost as dumb as Gruden. Gundy is an Oklahoma State alum that has the backing of one of the richest boosters out there in T. Boone Pickens. The team also overachieved this year in many peoples eyes. The fan base is just gonna have to accept that the Tennessee job is not gonna attract big name guys to leave their position.

I'm now going to go on a rant about hiring coaches. Too many teams either go for the big name hire, the hot candidate, or a guy known as a good recruiter. Steve Kragthorpe had a good record at Tulsa so many felt he would be a good hire for Louisville. Turns out, as you said LouPhinFan, he wasn't the same without his assistants, and he couldn't recruit. Rich Rodriguez was seen as one of the best coaches in the Nation at West Virginia and was a disaster at Michigan. Part was because his system (mainly defensive) didn't work in the Big Ten, his staff (again defensive) were not good coaches, and he couldn't recruit the area Michigan recruited. Instead of going for good midwest players, he'd go for marginal guys down south.

Minnesota did something similar. Glen Mason was not a good recruiter, but he was a good coach that had the Gophers in bowl games consistently, with occasional top 25 finishes. They fired him and hired Tim Brewster; a guy who was never a coordinator (which isn't always a bad thing), but they didn't hire him for his coaching. They hired him because he was Mack Brown's recruiting coordinator for a long time at both Texas and North Carolina. To be fair, Brewster was not a terrible recruiter in his time at Minnesota. He was not however a good head coach. Wasn't ready to run a program. Jerry Kill was a better hire as he is known as a guy who can build solid programs. The only thing holding him back IMO is his seizures.

Gene Chizik was hired in Auburn because of his connections to the school. He won the National title because he got lucky (paid) Cam Newton to go to school there, and he had an offensive genius in Gus Malzahn. Once Malzahn left because he was desperate to be a collegiate head coach. Which is funny because Malzahn was offered the Vandy job a year earlier but turned it down because his people told him he'd get a better job if he was patient. That ended up not being the case because when he interviewed for the NC Job, he (and his wife) terrified the AD. So he got stuck with the Arkansas State job. Anyways, once Chizik lost his top assistant (and we can add DC Ted Roof as well, although the D sucked last year) he was exposed.

Time for another rant. Jon Embree and a few people are saying Colorado fired him because of racial issues. No. No No. Embree being black had nothing to do with that. In fact, had Colorado had any money to spend on coaches (their athletic department is broke) he wouldn't have been considered. Hell even then, the only reason he was considered is he went to Colorado and coached there in the past as an assistant. He was fired because his teams weren't even competitive. Same with Randy Shannon at Miami, he wasn't fired for racial issues, his teams under performed. I love when the issue of race comes out in coaching and why there aren't many minority coaches at big time programs. Again, I doubt it has much to do with race. Big time jobs don't open up much. The crappy jobs open up. Will Muschamp and Chip Kelly getting big time gigs as coordinators are the exceptions not the rule. As I mentioned, look at Gus Malzahn, after the 2010 season he was linked with an SEC job. A crappy one in Vandy, but an SEC job. He thought he could do better so he declined and he only got offered by Arkansas State

The race issue is so stupid. I understand it's an issue (the fact it took Charlie Strong so long to get a head gig is criminal) but truth be told unless circumstances dictate it, the first head coaching job a hot coordinator gets is gonna be a crappy job. Guys like Chip Kelly and Will Muschamp are exceptions not the rule.

Gene Chizik was hired in Auburn because of his connections to the school. He won the National title because he got lucky (paid) Cam Newton to go to school there, and he had an offensive genius in Gus Malzahn. Once Malzahn left because he was desperate to be a collegiate head coach. Which is funny because Malzahn was offered the Vandy job a year earlier but turned it down because his people told him he'd get a better job if he was patient. That ended up not being the case because when he interviewed for the NC Job, he (and his wife) terrified the AD. So he got stuck with the Arkansas State job. Anyways, once Chizik lost his top assistant (and we can add DC Ted Roof as well, although the D sucked last year) he was exposed.

Yikes, what was so terrifying about them?

I'm hearing rumblings that Butch Jones to Purdue may be a done deal. At least that's the word going around Cincy fans.

Yikes, what was so terrifying about them?

I'm hearing rumblings that Butch Jones to Purdue may be a done deal. At least that's the word going around Cincy fans.

heard that too about Purdue. Jones is getting a bit of grief for just following Kelly, but he's a good coach in his right. Did better at CMU than Kelly, but not as good at Cincy.

Well terrified may be strong with Gus, but his wife did an interview on a local tv station and she came off as rather crazy. Can't find the link to the interview, but really after she went on her rant, a few of the schools that were supposedly interested in Gus severed ties with him. Reason Arkansas State had interest is Gus is a legend in Arkansas cause of his high school teams and Gus was extremely desperate to become a HC in college.

Again, funniest thing was Vandy wanted him and offered him the job and Malzahn listened to people saying he'd get a better offer if he waited. Didn't happen.

Dave Doeren to NC State. Named coach and his NIU team makes a BCS bowl. Good hire though by NC State

Back
Top Bottom