College Coaching Changes | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

College Coaching Changes

Strong has called a football meeting tomorrow for the team. But here's the catch: it's at 4:30 PM. Most "I've taken another job" team meetings happen in the morning or late at night.

Let's put it this way: if Charlie Strong is leaving the University of Louisville, then he spent this entire last weekend bold-faced lying to a recruit (who then promptly switched his commitment from Ole Miss to U of L because Strong said he's not leaving anytime soon) as well as players on the team (relatives of players have been telling the media that the players have been told by Strong that he's staying). From what I know about Coach Strong is that he's not classified as one of the super-narcassistic/borderline sociopathic coaches ala Todd Graham, Lane Kiffin, Bobby Petrino, or Nick Saban.

I'll go out on a limb and say that at some point tomorrow you'll hear that Charlie Strong has signed a very lucrative contract extension with the University of Louisville that makes him one of the highest paid football coaches in college, right up there with Nick Saban and Les Miles. I could be wrong, but as I said I'm going out on a limb.

If they pay him as much as Saban, they're idiots. He's a good coach, but he ain't Saban. Hell, he ain't even Les Miles.

Latest update (as in like 2 minutes ago) reports are Gundy and Strong both say no to the Vols.

I'm seeing that U of L has been working on a contract extension for Strong since last night with a local law firm writing it. If Strong hasn't officially turned down the Vols, you're about to find out who is willing to pay Charlie more: Tennessee or U of L. I guarantee it's U of L.

If they pay him as much as Saban, they're idiots. He's a good coach, but he ain't Saban. Hell, he ain't even Les Miles.

At some point you have to take a chance. Tom Jurich wants to be a national player in football and U of L has the money to do that. The fanbase is growing (only 15 years ago we were playing our football games in a minor league baseball stadium) and he and Strong have already talked about expanding the stadium again. Strong is getting a weight room that rivals the one at UF. All Jurich needs is a coach that is willing to stay and see this thing through. If he thinks Charlie is that coach then by all means you pay him whatever you can afford. Tom Jurich is anything BUT an idiot. He's one of the best, if not the best athletic directors in the country. If you want to a seat at the big boy table then sometimes you gotta do big boy things.

Big boy things doesn't include over paying for a coach just so you have continuity. Saban is the only coach that is worth the kind of money he makes, hell he probably deserves more. And just because Jurich wants to be a national player, doesn't mean it's going to happen. They barely won the big east, and the big 10 didn't want them. The ACC was the only conference that would take them, and the ACC sucks. They're a good program, but they're not near a national power and I would think Strong would love to get in the SEC.

to be fair, Louisville was on a good path with Petrino. Kragthorpe's couple years there REALLY put them back a few years.

And the Big 10 considered Louisville, but they were down the totem poll. The ACC move was move for b-ball purposes (though with the Big East practically dead, it's a good move)

to be fair, Louisville was on a good path with Petrino. Kragthorpe's couple years there REALLY put them back a few years.

And the Big 10 considered Louisville, but they were down the totem poll. The ACC move was move for b-ball purposes (though with the Big East practically dead, it's a good move)

Not exactly. Everything that we've heard here is we got the invite over UConn because FSU and Clemson went to bat for us and told the ACC to invite us for football reasons. But of course having games against Duke, UNC, and NC State in the KFC Yum Center certainly doesn't hurt either.

Big boy things doesn't include over paying for a coach just so you have continuity. Saban is the only coach that is worth the kind of money he makes, hell he probably deserves more. And just because Jurich wants to be a national player, doesn't mean it's going to happen. They barely won the big east, and the big 10 didn't want them. The ACC was the only conference that would take them, and the ACC sucks. They're a good program, but they're not near a national power and I would think Strong would love to get in the SEC.

2006 disagrees with you. U of L was a Rutgers field goal away from playing in the BCS Title game that year against Florida.

The player in your avatar played for a University that wasn't a major player until 1979 when it hired a pipe smoking rough neck coach that promised a NC in 5 years. It has been done before, can and will be done again. In today's age it just takes more money than it used to. Louisville has plenty of that.

Well, there you go. The meeting today with players was about Sugar Bowl stuff. He did not tell them anything about his decision.

He has called another meeting with players at 7:30 tomorrow morning but SID Kenny Klein says that here is no news conference scheduled at 8 AM or anytime tomorrow. That sounds like he's likely gone. I guess he was "cut like that". But oh well, we've still got Teddy Bridgewater and whomever the new coach is next year is getting a very, very good football team. I'm guessing Tom Jurich will look at Vance Bedford and Shawn Watson first, but hopefully he gives Mario Cristobal a call as well.

Edit:

Knoxville sports talk radio host has said that 2 separate UT sources have told him that Strong has informed UT that he is staying in Louisville.

Well, who knows now. I guess we'll find out for certain tomorrow.

Butch Jones to Colorado

I've heard that is premature.

Also Pete Thamel of SI is reporting it's official that Charlie Strong has turned down UT and will sign an extension with Louisville that will place him in the upper echelon of ACC coaches. To add to that former U of L runningback Vic Anderson just tweeted that he spoke to Strong himself and that he is staying at U of L.

So far tonight the U of L players have been messing around with fans on the Twitter all night. During tonight's meeting Strong told them that he make a decision that is "in the best interest of the team". I'm just guessing that since they have been messing with people and were generally in a good mood when the left the meeting (per local media) that they were more or less told that Strong was sticking around and to keep it confidential. Now we can move on and concentrate on a tough defensive team in UF in the Sugar Bowl.

Edit:

Add 4 star QB commit Kyle Bolin to the list of players that have been told that Strong is staying.

Sonny Dykes to Cal. Didn't help LA Tech that they turned down their bowl invite pissing him and the players off

Sonny Dykes to Cal. Didn't help LA Tech that they turned down their bowl invite pissing him and the players off

Yeah that should be a lesson to all the non-AQ schools. When you get a bowl invite, you take it.

Back
Top Bottom