Concerning but true article by Mando | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Concerning but true article by Mando

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Ninety-nine yards. That’s what separated the Dolphins from a biting loss Thursday night. That’s how far Ryan Tannehill had to drive his team to become a hero.
The Dolphins quarterback had to move his team for a touchdown with four minutes to play that would have turned the fortunes of this game, perhaps this season, and certainly would have colored the rookie’s reputation.
Sorry.
The drive ended in an interception.
And another possession that came with 1:26 to play also ended in an interception.
Bills win 19-14.
And now, with the Dolphins in full-scale swoon the past three weeks, there is more trouble that seems on the horizon.
The Seahawks are coming to Miami in 10 days. How many home fans are going to show for that one?
Then the Patriots will come to town. The Dolphins just lost to the Bills, Titans and Colts. They’re going to beat New England?
This season isn’t dead yet. But it is on a respirator and doctors are working feverishly to revive it.
That’s the short-term situation. Of course, if you believe this season wasn’t necessarily about, well, this season, then you are looking to other things. You are looking for answers to other more enduring questions.
One question that looms is whether these guys are any better than last season? Last season’s team was terrible early on but rallied, winning six of its final nine games. These guys seem to be writing the script in reverse — good early and playing worse as we head into the toughest part of the schedule the next few weeks.
So are these Dolphins even going in the right direction?
The past three games — all losses in troubling fashion — suggest this team is no longer headed in the right direction. These games suggest the Dolphins are not getting better as the season wears on but, indeed, are regressing at a slow but steady pace.
It’s not so much the results that trouble but the nature of the opposition against which those results are being posted.
Yes, the Colts are a rising team with a budding star at quarterback, but let’s face it, that is the team that lost more than any other team a season ago. The Titans rocked the Dolphins at home and did it with the league’s worst statistical defense following a loss in which they gave up 50 points.
And then there is this Bills game.
The Bills had lost eight consecutive games against AFC East opponents before the Dolphins.
The Bills had lost 10 consecutive prime-time games dating back to 2001.
And, of course, the Bills had taken over from the Titans as the worst defense in the NFL because the Titans practically shut down the Dolphins.
Well, it seems the Miami offense is the prescription against poor defense.
Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman implored his players to play so inspired this night that it would “make their sons proud.”
But there can be no pride coming out of this work.
The Dolphins didn’t cross midfield until the third quarter.
The Dolphins had only two first downs in the first half and one of those came when a Bills player jumped offside.
Miami’s most productive offensive play in the first half was a 17-yard completion to Brian Hartline. Only problem with the play is it ended with Hartline fumbling the ball over to the Bills.
But there was a bright side.
At least Hartline didn’t get benched for his indiscretion, as Reggie Bush famously noted he got benched last week for his fumble.

But cornerback Nolan Carroll did get benched. He struggled in the first half. I use the word struggled because the word stunk is so unpleasant.
Carroll was picked on repeatedly, and when he didn’t give up completions he committed penalties. He had two pass-interference penalties and an illegal-contact call in the first half.
And for that he was benched throughout the third quarter.
Think whatever you want about the philosophy of benching an underperforming player during the game, but Joe Philbin obviously believes it’s a tool to turn to whenever he thinks appropriate.
Problem for Philbin is Sean Smith suffered from some sort of cramps in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. And so Carroll got a second chance out of sheer necessity by coaches.
Carroll responded with a 5-yard holding penalty that gave the Bills their fourth first down in four penalties against him. This is a player who was playing better earlier in the season. He has struggled the past few weeks.
Where is the progression in that?
The facts are the Dolphins aren’t showing grand progression up and down the roster.
Bush hasn’t gotten better. In fact, the Dolphins running game has been stagnant for a month.
Tight end play?
Anthony Fasano? Anything?
He has had four catches the past four games after having 22 the previous six games. That’s not progression.
The run defense isn’t up to the standards of the early part of the season. Miami yielded 120 rushing yards this night, which is twice as many as it gained.
The play of the secondary has fallen off and, worse, it has happened against a couple of mediocre quarterbacks.
This season is not lost. There are still questions about how far Tannehill can progress. We can watch to see how much spunk this team has and how far they are from actually being relevant

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/16/3099759_p2/another-troubling-miami-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

Cant say I disagree with anything he said. The way Miami played last night seemed to have just carried over from Sunday. Its a real disappointment bc 3 weeks ago we were 4-3, considered a surprise team on the rise and playoffs a REAL conversation piece. I almost came to the reality that Miami is never gonna win a Superbowl in my life time

Does Armando has some kind of hidden point I missed? or did he just give a commentary on wwhat everyone already knew

Does Armando has some kind of hidden point I missed? or did he just give a commentary on wwhat everyone already knew

I think his subtle point is that Miami's coaching staff is absolutely due for some of this blame. Lack of progression is the fault of sometimes the player, sometimes the coach, but usually both.

I think his subtle point is that Miami's coaching staff is absolutely due for some of this blame. Lack of progression is the fault of sometimes the player, sometimes the coach, but usually both.

Right, well I'm glad Armando explained to us that everyone is playing bad or else I would have never known. His great analitical work has always impressed me.

Mando is pretty accurate with what he said and I think that the Dolphins need to be very careful as to whom they resign this offseason. I am not getting the warm and fuzzies for Long, Bush, or Smith. That would open up a great deal of cap room to bring in some serious FA or to reward those who have stepped up to play like Starks and Hartline.

Funny thing is if Carpenter didn't miss another field goal we would only need 65 yards for a realistic game winning field goal attempt. Yes Tannehill threw an interception but he had to force something, NO ONE WAS GETTING OPEN. He had very little time to work with and needed big plays. Can't blame him.

Funny thing is if Carpenter didn't miss another field goal we would only need 65 yards for a realistic game winning field goal attempt. Yes Tannehill threw an interception but he had to force something, NO ONE WAS GETTING OPEN. He had very little time to work with and needed big plays. Can't blame him.

If I was GM, Carpenter would be pink slipped in the tunnel coming off the field in week 17.

The season is done. There's no need to sugarcoat it. 9-7 at worst might get you a WC spot. Why would the Dolphins finish 5-1 the rest of the way vs. Seattle, NE twice, and SF?

Miami's players aren't getting worse, Miami's roster is just getting exposed. Other teams just know how who to target and how. Also, when you're so weak in a given area (defensive back, obviously) it warps and stretches the efforts of the rest of your players. Our LBs aren't exactly worldbeaters either.

Miami's players aren't getting worse, Miami's roster is just getting exposed. Other teams just know how who to target and how. Also, when you're so weak in a given area (defensive back, obviously) it warps and stretches the efforts of the rest of your players. Our LBs aren't exactly worldbeaters either.

Gotta agree with you. Everyone figured out real quick playing zone versus our WRs was the way to shut us down. We aren't running the ball at all anymore so that has also compounded our receiver problems becuase now we are working at 3 and 7 or more alot more oftern then the first 7 games. I still see some nice progress by Tannehill. He doesn't really start making bad throws until he really had to other than that miss to Clay, that was a huge miss. Looked like Tanny thought he was going to flatten that route more than he did. Thats the problem with a player like Clay who doesn't get to see the field that much.
Our Dbs are terrible and teams just start attacking Wilson on every third down. Draft and Fa, Corner and receiver, thats what we need.

im a fasano supporter so maybe im just a homer, but it seems like a lot of the plays we call and it was even mentioned are max protect where we have only two wr running patterns. if fasano is staying on line the last couple of games then this could be one of the reasons for the decrease. not to mention at the start of the season most teams felt we couldnt go deep and by midway through the season everyone has footage that we cant get deep so its alot easier for teams to play under. if they can play under they can eliminate the TE. its one of the reasons why i was kind of hoping we gave gates one more season. you have to keep the safetys honest. we've missed on most of the speed recievers we've ever drafted for one reason or another but we've always seemed to try to pick one, whether gates, ginn, randall thrill hill, yatil green, larry shannon. unless you have a seam busting TE like i guess we thought egnew was gonna be, i think you gotta have at least some speed on the outside for the TE to be able to find space. and yeah the OLine is not looking like it has 2 first round picks as the bookends. tanne has looked like crap the last two games, but out of 8 games this season i would prob say he has looked like crap 3 of em. maybe he's not clutch or cant win important games like a lot of posters have posted but i cant write him off yet, the first int was a great play by byrd, and heck had bess had just .1 40 time faster maybe its a big play, and the 2nd int was just a bad forced pass when he had to try to force something cause of situation. i know d's take away the sidelines in situations like this but ya cant have you're qb trying to force a pass into the middle of the field as tick tick tick with no timeouts. tannehill needs to be a hero or a zero, right about now he's a pero, which is about halfway between. if he's a hero more often we know we are set, if he's gonna be a zero, we know we need to be looking forward to johnny football in 2014. but we gotta know by the end of 2013 season. doesnt have to be by end of his ROOKIE!!!!!!!!! campaign

im a fasano supporter so maybe im just a homer, but it seems like a lot of the plays we call and it was even mentioned are max protect where we have only two wr running patterns. if fasano is staying on line the last couple of games then this could be one of the reasons for the decrease. not to mention at the start of the season most teams felt we couldnt go deep and by midway through the season everyone has footage that we cant get deep so its alot easier for teams to play under. if they can play under they can eliminate the TE. its one of the reasons why i was kind of hoping we gave gates one more season. you have to keep the safetys honest. we've missed on most of the speed recievers we've ever drafted for one reason or another but we've always seemed to try to pick one, whether gates, ginn, randall thrill hill, yatil green, larry shannon. unless you have a seam busting TE like i guess we thought egnew was gonna be, i think you gotta have at least some speed on the outside for the TE to be able to find space. and yeah the OLine is not looking like it has 2 first round picks as the bookends. tanne has looked like crap the last two games, but out of 8 games this season i would prob say he has looked like crap 3 of em. maybe he's not clutch or cant win important games like a lot of posters have posted but i cant write him off yet, the first int was a great play by byrd, and heck had bess had just .1 40 time faster maybe its a big play, and the 2nd int was just a bad forced pass when he had to try to force something cause of situation. i know d's take away the sidelines in situations like this but ya cant have you're qb trying to force a pass into the middle of the field as tick tick tick with no timeouts. tannehill needs to be a hero or a zero, right about now he's a pero, which is about halfway between. if he's a hero more often we know we are set, if he's gonna be a zero, we know we need to be looking forward to johnny football in 2014. but we gotta know by the end of 2013 season. doesnt have to be by end of his ROOKIE!!!!!!!!! campaign

Fasano is a blocker and 5th option in the pass game

Back
Top Bottom