Congrads to coach Jimmy Johnson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Congrads to coach Jimmy Johnson

fishfanmiami

Let's go Dolphins
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Being inducted into the college football hall of fame.

Here is his interview with Dan Sileo who played for him.

http://wqam.com/interviews

His time here did not end well but as always he's a character.

survivorjimmyjohnsonnyetjpg4af57fd0a6d96-1.jpg

#$%# that useless $#@%er. He may have drafted some good players. BUt he treated Marino like garbage, I will never let that grudge go.

This particular college Hall of Fame class is poor. Any collegiate Hall of Fame class that doesn't include Derrick Thomas is a farce, and it's due to the ridiculous rule where a school can't have players inducted into the Hall of Fame in back to back years. We had Marty Lyons inducted last year.

Steve Bartkowski? I'm old enough to remember when we beat the Bartkowski led California team 66-0.

Jimmy should go in with the same class as Phillip Fulmer.

Tommie Frazier is another one that belongs in the college football Hall of Fame soon.

#$%# that useless $#@%er. He may have drafted some good players. BUt he treated Marino like garbage, I will never let that grudge go.

i felt that way too at the time but Marino was on the downside of his career and J J wanted a good defense and to run the ball. He was also following Shula which was hard to top.
Jimmy did draft Yatil Green to help Dan along but the 1st round pick never played. He also drafted Jason taylor , Zach Thomas , Sam Madison and Pat Surtan to build a top 5 defense for years to come.

He played on a National Championship team at Arkansas. Won a championship for the Canes and two super bowls for Dallas. His U M team that lost to Penn st in another title game is considered one of the best of all time.

Not a bad resume.

I hated Jimmy being a part of the Dolphins ,hated the way he tried to steal the job from Don Shula on TV. hated it even more that it worked and he got the job and Shula was pushed out.

He's a shameless snake in my book......With that said, lol what he did at the U was awesome!!!

I hated Jimmy being a part of the Dolphins ,hated the way he tried to steal the job from Don Shula on TV. hated it even more that it worked and he got the job and Shula was pushed out.

He's a shameless snake in my book......With that said, lol what he did at the U was awesome!!!

Yea lots of older dolphins fan feel like the whole J J / Shula thing was handled badly. I remember being happy that he came here but pissed about how they handled both Shula and Marino.
The award is for college and as a Canes fan i feel he deserves it as you said.
It was a slow news day and I thought is was interesting.

There wasnt going to be a good way to remove Shula that would make fans happy. But it was necessary for Shula to go, There were two key draft failures that could of solved the JJ and Marino tension and that was Yatil Green being healthy and Cecil Collins staying out of trouble. With the D-Fense that JJ built, Collins and Green would of worked wonders with Marino and I think we would of been Super Bowl contenders. Congrats JJ

Jimmy's accomplishments elsewhere other than Miami is what barely gets him into the college Hall of Fame. His experience as a head coach in college doesn't even meet the minimum requirement of 10 years.

He was 1-1 in national championship games as a coach and has a losing record in bowl games (2-3).

Dennis Erickson has a higher winning percentage at Miami, and won twice as many national titles as Jimmy. Erickson is also an innovator of the one-back offense going back to his days at Idaho where Scott Linehan played quarterback for him. He'll be there soon.

Out of Jimmy, Dennis Erickson, and Howard Schnellenberger.... Jimmy is the least deserving to be in the college football Hall of Fame. The fact that Howard Schnellenberger is ineligible based on winning percentage is the biggest travesty in the sport. He resurrected dead programs, and started brand new one's. One of the best program builders of his era.

He took what he learned from Bear Bryant at Alabama and is the reason the University of Miami even has a football program. Howard Schnellenberger is why Jimmy Johnson is now in the college football Hall of Fame.

This man belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Jimmy's accomplishments elsewhere other than Miami is what barely gets him into the college Hall of Fame. His experience as a head coach in college doesn't even meet the minimum requirement of 10 years.

He was 1-1 in national championship games as a coach and has a losing record in bowl games (2-3).

Dennis Erickson has a higher winning percentage at Miami, and won twice as many national titles as Jimmy. Erickson is also an innovator of the one-back offense going back to his days at Idaho where Scott Linehan played quarterback for him. He'll be there soon.

Out of Jimmy, Dennis Erickson, and Howard Schnellenberger.... Jimmy is the least deserving to be in the college football Hall of Fame. The fact that Howard Schnellenberger is ineligible based on winning percentage is the biggest travesty in the sport. He resurrected dead programs, and started brand new one's. One of the best program builders of his era.

He took what he learned from Bear Bryant at Alabama and is the reason the University of Miami even has a football program. Howard Schnellenberger is why Jimmy Johnson is now in the college football Hall of Fame.

This man belongs in the Hall of Fame.

This. A hundred times this, and I don't even like the Hurricanes.

5 seasons Oklahoma State -- 1979 thru 1983

5 seasons Miami -- 1984 thru 1988

The Canes were a sporadically talented but vulnerable team when Johnson took over. That's why they were 12 point home underdogs in Schnellenberger's final game, and 7 point underdogs on a neutral site to Auburn in Johnson's first game as coach. There was absolutely no guarantee the program would continue on the same path, and not be a one-and-done. As much as I like Schnellenberger, why are we supposed to ignore the -- in retrospect -- incomparably inept handicapping he displayed by bolting the Canes program in the mid '80s? I always have to laugh when he bemoans how many titles he might have won if he'd remained. That's like my buddies in Las Vegas who have all the winners on the 7 PM games at 11 PM. Johnson wisely accepted the Miami job after Sam Jankovich was even more astute in pursuing Johnson, who was hardly a household name or hot commodity. That chain of genius equates to Hall of Fame. Schnellenberger can accept the ever popular might-have-been praise, the Spectacular Bid Award.

Besides, Jimmy Johnson inherited great quarterbacks like Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde from Schnellenberger, but he also found Steve Walsh, and left the likes of Craig Erickson and Gino Torretta for Erickson. Once Erickson had to rely on his own quarterback recruiting it was disasters like Frank Costa, Ryan Collins, Alan Hall and Chris Walsh.

The Miami program was a fortified dynasty when Erickson was summoned from Washington State. Johnson had built a talent base throughout the roster and the defense, in particular, was dominant, far more dependable than Schnellenberger's version. During Johnson's final three seasons and spilling over into Erickson's reign it was almost unheard of for the Canes to be an underdog. When Erickson left the program it was leaking all over the place, with three consecutive bowl defeats including two embarrassing routs and a loss in the Orange Bowl, blowing a 4th quarter lead. The Pell Grant scandal was under Erickson's watch.

The guy I wish had stayed in Coral Gables was Johnson, not Schnellenberger or Erickson. Spin doesn't work with me. I have dozens of those games on tape. Johnson's multiple offense suffered when he had an error prone dunce like Testaverde at quarterback against smart defenses, throwing away a national title against Penn State when all he had to do was hand off to Alonso Highsmith. Once Erickson's vulnerable one-back was installed, there was nonsense like tiny Leonard Conley asked to dive toward the goal line in vital situations with three receivers standing out there, accomplishing absolutely nothing. Conley was abused in those spots during key road games at Florida State in 1989 and Notre Dame in 1990. It was beyond ridiculous that the 1990 team was out of title contention during bowl season, with two losses despite preseason #1 ranking and 14 point favoritism in the opener at BYU.

Besides, it was simply more fun as a fan under Johnson, including the wonderful, "Run it up, Jimmy...Run it up," chant, during his final game as Canes coach, the Orange Bowl win over Nebraska after the 1988 season. With Erickson you mostly looked for him in local bars.

There wasnt going to be a good way to remove Shula that would make fans happy. But it was necessary for Shula to go, There were two key draft failures that could of solved the JJ and Marino tension and that was Yatil Green being healthy and Cecil Collins staying out of trouble. With the D-Fense that JJ built, Collins and Green would of worked wonders with Marino and I think we would of been Super Bowl contenders. Congrats JJ

That's the way i remember it too. The year we got Cecil Collins plus J. Johnson everyone was picking us for the superbowl even sports illustrated i believe. We had a topped ranked defense and Marino at QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Canes were a sporadically talented but vulnerable team when Johnson took over. That's why they were 12 point home underdogs in Schnellenberger's final game, and 7 point underdogs on a neutral site to Auburn in Johnson's first game as coach. There was absolutely no guarantee the program would continue on the same path, and not be a one-and-done. As much as I like Schnellenberger, why are we supposed to ignore the -- in retrospect -- incomparably inept handicapping he displayed by bolting the Canes program in the mid '80s? I always have to laugh when he bemoans how many titles he might have won if he'd remained. That's like my buddies in Las Vegas who have all the winners on the 7 PM games at 11 PM. Johnson wisely accepted the Miami job after Sam Jankovich was even more astute in pursuing Johnson, who was hardly a household name or hot commodity. That chain of genius equates to Hall of Fame. Schnellenberger can accept the ever popular might-have-been praise, the Spectacular Bid Award.

Besides, Jimmy Johnson inherited great quarterbacks like Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde from Schnellenberger, but he also found Steve Walsh, and left the likes of Craig Erickson and Gino Torretta for Erickson. Once Erickson had to rely on his own quarterback recruiting it was disasters like Frank Costa, Ryan Collins, Alan Hall and Chris Walsh.

The Miami program was a fortified dynasty when Erickson was summoned from Washington State. Johnson had built a talent base throughout the roster and the defense, in particular, was dominant, far more dependable than Schnellenberger's version. During Johnson's final three seasons and spilling over into Erickson's reign it was almost unheard of for the Canes to be an underdog. When Erickson left the program it was leaking all over the place, with three consecutive bowl defeats including two embarrassing routs and a loss in the Orange Bowl, blowing a 4th quarter lead. The Pell Grant scandal was under Erickson's watch.

The guy I wish had stayed in Coral Gables was Johnson, not Schnellenberger or Erickson. Spin doesn't work with me. I have dozens of those games on tape. Johnson's multiple offense suffered when he had an error prone dunce like Testaverde at quarterback against smart defenses, throwing away a national title against Penn State when all he had to do was hand off to Alonso Highsmith. Once Erickson's vulnerable one-back was installed, there was nonsense like tiny Leonard Conley asked to dive toward the goal line in vital situations with three receivers standing out there, accomplishing absolutely nothing. Conley was abused in those spots during key road games at Florida State in 1989 and Notre Dame in 1990. It was beyond ridiculous that the 1990 team was out of title contention during bowl season, with two losses despite preseason #1 ranking and 14 point favoritism in the opener at BYU.

Besides, it was simply more fun as a fan under Johnson, including the wonderful, "Run it up, Jimmy...Run it up," chant, during his final game as Canes coach, the Orange Bowl win over Nebraska after the 1988 season. With Erickson you mostly looked for him in local bars.

Great insight my friend. i thought the team that LOST to Penn st was the best U M team ever and they rank in the top 5 of all time. How many all pro awards does that class have in the pros ?. Impressive.

Howard laid the foundation. Jimmy perfected the produce . Ericson continued the tradition. Butch restored the produce. Coker enjoyed the the ride.

The guys on here that are not Canes fans probably cann't stand Jimmy. I get that. As a Canes fan I hope Al golden is half the coach Jimmy was.

What's really B.S. is that Schnellenberger is ineligible.

After that 07-08 FAU season, he earned his way out!!

just kidding, that was the Alzheimer's, had nothing to do with his NFL career which was great

He doesn't have Alzheimer's, but i've seen him puff the pipe in boca raton and believe hes a drunk

You're leaving out the 31-0 lead that Jimmy's team blew to Maryland. Get that one on tape if you don't have it. Like I said, Jimmy gets into the college Hall of Fame based on his accomplishments as a player combined with his coaching career. He wouldn't come close based on the merits of his 5 seasons, and losing bowl record at Miami. He's basically Bill McCartney as a college head coach, without the longevity or building a program from scratch.

Jimmy was handed a clean and solid program that Howard saved and built. Jimmy handed over a renegade program to Dennis Erickson.

If you want to see a dunce quarterback overmatched against a good defense, look no further than Gino Toretta that Jimmy left for Erickson. Get that one on tape too.

You're entire post was nothing but spin here, Awsi.

Back
Top Bottom