Contracts explode in 2014?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Contracts explode in 2014??

I assume the point is for Ireland to maintain maximum flexibility for signing additional FAs. I think you can carry forward a certain amount of unused cap space as well but I'm not sure. Leaving unused cap space this year which you cannot carry forward next year when we start taking significant cap hits should obviously be avoided - I'm hoping Ireland and our cap strategist are being responsible, but the structure of these contracts does slightly worry me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The point is telling. Your GM needs to put together buzz. New stadium and such. Only way to get a bunch of Buzz players is to defer cap hits.

What does he care he succeeds or is fired and someone else's mess to clean up.

Moore will probably be traded after this year. Some of the cap will be rolled over, and expect less FA signings next year. But the team should be fine in 2014, assuming the draftees are any good, because there will be a ton of low paid young players on their first contracts to compensate for the higher paid players

Well the article doesn't point out that they still have a bunch of cap space left. Floria should have waited until after the free agency period and the draft to make a comment about their future cap issues. He looks for any angle to bash this team. Kinda funny.

We got 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. Patterson, Marshall, Incognito will all be cap hits. Matt Moore will be traded. It does seem strange but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Well the article doesn't point out that they still have a bunch of cap space left. Floria should have waited until after the free agency period and the draft to make a comment about their future cap issues. He looks for any angle to bash this team. Kinda funny.

Actually it's not funny at all. He doesn't do this with any other team. In his last three posts about the Dolphins, he mentions "in an effort to create buzz". Hate to break it to you Gloria, but virtually every team with a losing season has to create buzz to show their fan base/future season ticket holders that they're not the same team as the prior year. This guy is a pure clown.

Relax. Contracts can be re-done. They are young players so money can be moved around. It DOES so that this draft is vital so we can get a lot of players that are cheap labor.

Dolphins had a ton of cap space before these signings and remember that we can carry unused cap space over. Now, it is possible that the team is going to keep spending to the point of a big problem, but the fact that we balked at what Keller wanted leads me to believe that this won't be the case. We can stay in very, very good cap shape if we restrict our remaining offseason spending to a tackle and bargain bin contracts. Remember that we can still cut Dimitri Patterson with no cap hit for a big chunk of coin, and axing Dan Carpenter frees up a bunch of money, too.

Don't panic about the cap yet, our only big splurge was Mike Wallace. The linebacker moves actually save us a little bit of money.

Now, if we go out there and hand out another 30 million in guaranteed money to FAs, that's when you want to panic.

this FA period and draft is for this year and next year ... i wouldn't expect much next year in FA.

we will have some players fall off next year (read either Starks or Soliai, etc ...)

our draft this year will address some of that ... then next years draft as well.

this FA period was our chance to 'set the table' as it were ....

Relax. Contracts can be re-done. They are young players so money can be moved around. It DOES so that this draft is vital so we can get a lot of players that are cheap labor.

Lets hope the "cheap" labor doesn't translate to "cheap talent"

Actually it's not funny at all. He doesn't do this with any other team. In his last three posts about the Dolphins, he mentions "in an effort to create buzz". Hate to break it to you Gloria, but virtually every team with a losing season has to create buzz to show their fan base/future season ticket holders that they're not the same team as the prior year. This guy is a pure clown.
Not funny haha.

in 2014 the following Dolphins are free agents: Starks, Soliai, Incognito, Jerry, Bess, Misi, Clemons, Carrol and Jones. I see 2-3 guys who would get another contract with Miami Plus, Marshall and Patterson could be cut.

Stuff about the cap is over blown right now. Ireland and Capote worked hard put Miami in great position this year, no reason to think it can't continue.

Back
Top Bottom