Contracts explode in 2014??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Torero71FinFan, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Torero71FinFan

Torero71FinFan Rookie

2. hilslo

hilslo Scout Team

I assume the point is for Ireland to maintain maximum flexibility for signing additional FAs. I think you can carry forward a certain amount of unused cap space as well but I'm not sure. Leaving unused cap space this year which you cannot carry forward next year when we start taking significant cap hits should obviously be avoided - I'm hoping Ireland and our cap strategist are being responsible, but the structure of these contracts does slightly worry me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  3. BillsFanInPeace

BillsFanInPeace FinHeaven VIP

The point is telling. Your GM needs to put together buzz. New stadium and such. Only way to get a bunch of Buzz players is to defer cap hits.

What does he care he succeeds or is fired and someone else's mess to clean up.

4. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Moore will probably be traded after this year. Some of the cap will be rolled over, and expect less FA signings next year. But the team should be fine in 2014, assuming the draftees are any good, because there will be a ton of low paid young players on their first contracts to compensate for the higher paid players

5. kellyh3034

kellyh3034 Scout Team

Well the article doesn't point out that they still have a bunch of cap space left. Floria should have waited until after the free agency period and the draft to make a comment about their future cap issues. He looks for any angle to bash this team. Kinda funny.

6. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

We got 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. Patterson, Marshall, Incognito will all be cap hits. Matt Moore will be traded. It does seem strange but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

7. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

Actually it's not funny at all. He doesn't do this with any other team. In his last three posts about the Dolphins, he mentions "in an effort to create buzz". Hate to break it to you Gloria, but virtually every team with a losing season has to create buzz to show their fan base/future season ticket holders that they're not the same team as the prior year. This guy is a pure clown.

8. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

these guys have a plan right?

9. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Relax. Contracts can be re-done. They are young players so money can be moved around. It DOES so that this draft is vital so we can get a lot of players that are cheap labor.

10. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Donator

Dolphins had a ton of cap space before these signings and remember that we can carry unused cap space over. Now, it is possible that the team is going to keep spending to the point of a big problem, but the fact that we balked at what Keller wanted leads me to believe that this won't be the case. We can stay in very, very good cap shape if we restrict our remaining offseason spending to a tackle and bargain bin contracts. Remember that we can still cut Dimitri Patterson with no cap hit for a big chunk of coin, and axing Dan Carpenter frees up a bunch of money, too.

Don't panic about the cap yet, our only big splurge was Mike Wallace. The linebacker moves actually save us a little bit of money.

Now, if we go out there and hand out another 30 million in guaranteed money to FAs, that's when you want to panic.

11. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

this FA period and draft is for this year and next year ... i wouldn't expect much next year in FA.

we will have some players fall off next year (read either Starks or Soliai, etc ...)

our draft this year will address some of that ... then next years draft as well.

this FA period was our chance to 'set the table' as it were ....

12. thecoordinator

thecoordinator A True Fan

mike wallace 17 mil? defend that. please.

13. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Lets hope the "cheap" labor doesn't translate to "cheap talent"

14. kellyh3034

kellyh3034 Scout Team

Not funny haha.

15. Exuro

Exuro Well-Known Member

in 2014 the following Dolphins are free agents: Starks, Soliai, Incognito, Jerry, Bess, Misi, Clemons, Carrol and Jones. I see 2-3 guys who would get another contract with Miami Plus, Marshall and Patterson could be cut.

Stuff about the cap is over blown right now. Ireland and Capote worked hard put Miami in great position this year, no reason to think it can't continue.

16. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Would we rather they set on the cash and did nothing ?

These guys have been very good bean counters to this point and deserve the benefit of doubt in financial matters.

Spend like a drunkin sailor, make at run at the division and let the accountants do what accountants do.

17. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

not to mention, next year, we'll still have 6-8 players on the team from this draft, and another 6-8 players from next years draft. Thats 16 positions on the team filled with very low cap guys. 2014 is not a year we should be worried about. i'm not worried about the cap until 2016 at this point, that's when we have 6 players that count for 50m of the cap.

18. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

this FA period and draft is for this year and next year ... i wouldn't expect much next year in FA.

we will have some players fall off next year (read either Starks or Soliai, etc ...)

our draft this year will address some of that ... then next years draft as well.

this FA period was our chance to 'set the table' as it were ....

19. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Good teams never seem to have cap space but they know how to redo contracts and manipulate the system .

i think Jeff's finally figured this out.

[​IMG]

It's just numbers. No worries mate.:D

20. Kistner10

Kistner10 Starter

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless we hand out another couple big guaranteed deals.

A big key provision added to the new CBA was the ability to carry over unused cap space from the previous year. If we keep the cap numbers on the deals small this year, then we can use the space we saved for next year, which will help absorb the massive increases for Wallace, Hartline, and Ellerbe next year.

I'd also be shocked if we kept Starks passed this year at anywhere close to the 8.5M that he's getting this year. Either we'll move on, or hopefully if he has a good year, then we sign him to a longer deal that shaves off a couple of million in the first couple of years in the contract.

21. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

the linebacker moves basically only save u money this year soon Ellerbee will be having same cap hit as Dansby.

22. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

define soon. not 2013. not 2014, I guess 2 years away is soon.

23. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well next year its almost 8 million
    follwing year its 9.8 million
    these are not small cap hits esp for a guy who hasnt even started a full season
    same with wheeler this year its real low next year its 6.4 million

So next year Ellerbee's cap hit will be the same we cut Dansby for this year plus dead cap

So We will be paying the two players that we replace the so called overpriced players the same exact amount basically that we cut these guys for this year
    plus 3 million dead cap for Dansby and 1.6 million for Burnett next season. So in reality we are not saving a dollar in 2014 by signing these guys and in some cases like Burnett paying more. People keep talking about all this money we are saving and thats not really accurate . Yes this season we will have more cap space because we structured low first year salaries and in some cases too low. In fact next season Mike Wallace will make 17 million cap hit and Hartline makes 6.2

all contracts are usually low first year dont see whats so amazing about structuring these contracts.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
  24. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG BUT i dont think yo can carry money over from one year to another anymore, and what ive read is that teams have to spend between 85-95 % of your cap from year to year .

25. uk_Duper85

uk_Duper85 Scout Team

I think the the Wallace, Hartline, Ellerbe and Wheeler deals are loaded in 2014 to get some of the cap pain out of the way in time for a potential Tannehill extension in 2015.

26. jason37

jason37 Drivin' the Yeremiah Bell Bandwagon

This is also Jeff Ireland's last year in his contract. You have to think either this year works out and Jeff gets an extension and he gets to worry about the cap next year, or he is done in miami and could give a crap about our cap situation.

I am surprised the contracts were not more front heavy because we do have the money this year. What is the plan? We have to spend the money.

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

should have took on more cap this year since we had the space. Ellerbee's deal is worse in 2015 though approaching 10 million.

28. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Also, a new TV deal is coming around 2015. The cap should jump. Not worried.

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I dont think the cap is going to jump as much as u think, the tv deal was extended until 2022

30. FINatic054

FINatic054 Scout Team

Marlins part two

31. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Like said almost a 3rd of our cap space in 2014 will be among hartline, ellerbee, wallace and wheeler 37.5 million cap hits

also next year Incognito 5.3 million, matt moore 5.5 million dmitri patterson 5.3 million, tannehill 3.5, cam wake 7.2 million

free agents

koa misi
    reshard jones
    paul soliai
    dan carpenter

32. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Matt Moore's deal is a one year deal for $2.5mill for all intents and purposes, there's no way we're keeping him at $5.5 next season. I would guess we'll be willing to deal Moore if a starting QB goes down. If thats the plan it works out well for us and Moore because Moore could get the chance to start for all 32 teams rather than try to win a competition for just one team, and we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You are not getting a second round pick for moore unless speilman has a aj feeley flashback. if he was that well regarded he would be testing free agency now. you might get a pick but in reality nobody wants to pay him 5.5 next season

34. chrispepper

chrispepper Well-Known Member

Well, first of all we can rollover any remaining cap space we have into next year. Also, bear in mind that next year will have the new television deals which should mean quite a large increase in the salary cap next year.

35. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Incog is a free agent in 2014 so are Starks, Soilia, Carpenter, Clemons, Jones, Misi, Carrol and Jerry (and a few others). Right now on the books for 2014 Miami has a cap figure of 95M but they need to at least re-sign 3 to 5 and bring in the draft class.

Miami is going to have about 30M to work with next off season. Not horrible and after 2014 the contracts of Wallace, Ellerbe and Wheeler become manageable to shed if needed, minimual "dead" money.

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

They contracts are going to be what they are no matter what. If you look at dead money and such if they get cut at any time they will still get their average salary at worst.
    I love the term minimal dead money. We have already built up at least 5 million in dead money for 2014. This is why teams need to actually do a better job of structuring their contracts. Almost every team that has cap issues built up dead money. I mean just on Matt Moore's contract we could take on 1.5 million in dead money if we cut him after season. over 1 million for richard marhsall.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

also u cannot predict how much money we will have to work with because we still dont know the rest of the contracts