Conventional wisdom... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Conventional wisdom...

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
If I am not interested in being a risk taker and I am conservative, then the following strategy would likely apply:

1. take Levi Brown
2. take a quarterback in the 2nd round
3. take a guard on the first day
4. draft at least 3 defensive players (a cb, lb, and defensive lineman).
5. stay put in every round and collect 10 players.

This would be the ultimate conservative approach. It is needs based and focused on safe.

Weigh this with Mueller and his past drafts, the currrent atmosphere in Miami, and the Cameron's offensive and Caper's defensive philosophies. Also, there is player visit information and some of the players I saw had visited fit right into the coaches philosophies (e.g., big interior defensive linemen, taller and bigger outside linebackers, speed in the defensive secondary, multitalented running backs). I do not remember names, but the big guy from Utah (name starts with a T), and the safety from Syracuse are a couple of them. Also, the running back from Arizona that is rising up the charts.

Real excited about the draft, and wouldn't mind a few surprises on draft day.

Lee2000

Also, there is player visit information and some of the players I saw had visited fit right into the coaches philosophies

Player visits mean absolutely nothing .. First off, There are countless examples where a team had absolutely no contact with a player but was drafted by them ( IE- Jay Cutler drafted by Denver, after the draft he said Denver didn't even make a simple phone call to him , or inquire about him even once) .. There are tons of other similar examples ..

And secondly, even if the team wanted to see a player, alot of the time that player already has a busy schedule prior to draft time with other committments .. Therefore, the team wouldn't even get the interview, but instead go with 3rd and 4th options to interview other players - when the reality is the team will still draft the player that couldn't make it in for a visit anyway because they just think he's better..

Your thread title states - "conventional wisdom" . Well conventional wisdom has proven time and time again that player visits mean little if anything when it comes down to it.. So take player visits with a grain of salt..

Don't you think it would be surprising enough just to see the Dolphins actually draft 10 players?

To be conservative is going to end being the most realistic approach to the draft. I have a million and one different trade ideas as does everyone else but I would be happy with our teams direction if we drafted the following :
1-L. Brown OT
2-M.Mcauley CB
2-Best QB
3-M.Ramirez/A.Alleman OG
4-BPA the rest of the draft

Conventional Wisdom says to draft 3/4ths OFFENSE! DL-aged but still effective LB's -pro bowlers straight across DB's- this group could use some help.

Offense on the other-hand...
QB: Biggest question mark on the team...all we have now is a broken-high priced EX-star that may never recover...and a LEMON!
RB: If Ricky can stay away from the bong, this group looks good although I would look to add someone day 2.
WR/TE: We need some SPEED...BAD! Booker nor Chambers is capable of stretching a defense.
OL: At least 2 starters needs to come out of this years draft!

I like your thinking here, but I agree with zonk4ever that I would be very surprised to see us stay put and use all 10 of our picks. I believe there will be a lot of movement in the middle rounds to get our targeted players using those later round picks.

For once, though, I would like to see this team use high picks on o-linemen. The o-line has been a constant problem for this franchise since Webb and Simms were in their prime on the left side.

The problem with your mock is that it's too logic. The draft is like the stock market, it is based on perception more than reality. Perception depends on the views of GMs/Coaches/Owners more than anything and we won't know them until after the draft.
:dunno:

If I may clarify...

My thread was not an indication of what I want, but was more a reflection of what I thought such an approach would be. I am not conservative, but I would like to see moves that gain more picks, and allow more aggressive moves upward.

Lee2000

Player visits is more of an indication of an idea of a player...

Player visits mean absolutely nothing .. First off, There are countless examples where a team had absolutely no contact with a player but was drafted by them ( IE- Jay Cutler drafted by Denver, after the draft he said Denver didn't even make a simple phone call to him , or inquire about him even once) .. There are tons of other similar examples ..

And secondly, even if the team wanted to see a player, alot of the time that player already has a busy schedule prior to draft time with other committments .. Therefore, the team wouldn't even get the interview, but instead go with 3rd and 4th options to interview other players - when the reality is the team will still draft the player that couldn't make it in for a visit anyway because they just think he's better..

Your thread title states - "conventional wisdom" . Well conventional wisdom has proven time and time again that player visits mean little if anything when it comes down to it.. So take player visits with a grain of salt..

Many times players are not available to teams. But the idea of a kind of player is involved in visits. Visits are not completely useless.

Lee2000

Back
Top Bottom