Cordarrelle Patterson - Perspective | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cordarrelle Patterson - Perspective

Digital

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
As most of you know I am a big fan of Cordarrelle Patterson. I've been hoping for months that we might be able to get him in the 2nd round because he was so raw and inexperienced. That now appears highly unlikely, so I'm on board with drafting him at #12 overall if he is the best player available.

His physical ability is breathtaking. He has phenominal burst, change of direction, vision, ability to set up his blocks, patience to use his blocks, and nose for the goal line. He has many other good traits like size (6'3 and 205 lbs.), speed (I'd guess around 4.45 in the 40), quickness, catching technique, and blocking downfield.

But, he is very raw. He is very undeveloped in important skills such as route running. He doesn't run the full route tree, so even knowledge is an area of weakness. He needs to work on his timing. His routes are not precise (always the same) nor accurate (exactly where the play and situation dictate). He doesn't have command of the offensive plays enough to properly read the defense and situation and make the correct hot-read. In sum, he is a lot like Victor Cruz was ... great when the ball arrives and after the catch, but hard for a QB to know exactly where he will be or to count on being where he should be.

In most cases, these things can be taught, but not always. Coaches often look for a player doing it the right way. Some think that if they can do it the right way once, the coach can get that out of them consistently with coaching. Sometimes that works, and other times it gets the coach and GM fired. Which will Cordarrelle Patterson be?

I believe that Patterson was very raw coming from 2 years of junior college, but he learned humility and hard work. Only upon arriving at Tennessee did he really evolve from the greatest physical talent on the field every game into the beginnings of a wide receiver. I think he will develop into a very good WR in the NFL. But, if he doesn't, it will be because he doesn't become a polished receiver, not because he lacks the tools.

Below are two videos. One shows you the electric highlights of Cordarrelle Patterson, the dynamic WR and KR/PR for the less than 1 full season he spent at the University of Tennessee. The other one shows you another great prospect's highlights in college, which include more KR/PR and some WR over his entire career at another major university.

Cordarrelle Patterson, 6'3, 205 lbs., approximately 4.45 in the 40. Highlights of less than 1 full year at "receiver U" the University of Tennessee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE

Other prospect, 6'1, 200 lbs., 4.3 in the 40. Career highlights of multiple years at a major football university.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

Watch both videos. The "other prospect" played longer at the collegiate level but had far less highlights as a WR compared to a returner. Speed and running ability were never questioned for either prospect, but polish as WR's and their route running were. Let me know what you think about Cordarrelle Patterson and how risky he is or isn't.

Im nervous hes just another Clyde Gates. But if we get Jennings I think we can take a chance on this guy and hope he's a playmaker. Again my main concern is its too much of a boom or bust choice.

I really like him. He has big play wrote all over him. Would be upset at all with taking him at 12.

I like him alot. He has big play written all over him. I wouldnt be upset at all if we take him at 12.

His vision, speed, and size are god given. You can't coach that. He can go full speed than stop on a dime, change directions and go full speed again. It's incredible.
I do see the worry of him having the boom/bust factor, but honestly if we get a veteran WR who runs polished routes and is a student of the game (Greg Jennings anyone?) , I think he can learn a lot and be polished in 2 years, which is the learning curve for WRs in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like what I've read about him. I don't like to trade draft picks, but if we drafted him and then traded our 2 second rounders to move up and draft Eifert, I would be very happy.

I do not understand if he is head and shoulders above his team's actual primary receiver (Justin Hunter), why does he play "sidekick" to him...? All I have seen from the kid is highlights, and anyone who has only looked up Patterson's career highlights instead of actual draft analysis, you'd best do more homework. I am not stating that if you want us to hit on the kid you haven't done your homework, but I do not understand his hype when he isn't even the best receiver on his own team.

Project at #12? That isn't a QB? No thanks. Give me a plug and play TE.

I do not understand if he is head and shoulders above his team's actual primary receiver (Justin Hunter), why does he play "sidekick" to him...? All I have seen from the kid is highlights, and anyone who has only looked up Patterson's career highlights instead of actual draft analysis, you'd best do more homework. I am not stating that if you want us to hit on the kid you haven't done your homework, but I do not understand his hype when he isn't even the best receiver on his own team.

i think the hype with him has more to do with more his ability to create after the catch and his potential to become a great WR if he learns how to play the position. as of right now, i believe Hunter is the better WR as of right now and more pro ready. Hunter has great potential and upside but patterson's ability to create with the ball is what is causing the hype.

This kid a 3rd round pick and a gamble at that.

Miami needs to draft the BPA.

Avoid picking WR in the 1st round.

CB, LB, beastly DE. Avoid another Yatil Green!

i think the hype with him has more to do with more his ability to create after the catch and his potential to become a great WR if he learns how to play the position. as of right now, i believe Hunter is the better WR as of right now and more pro ready. Hunter has great potential and upside but patterson's ability to create with the ball is what is causing the hype.

Well I have been a fan of trading down for Hunter since our last game of the season. Give me the most pro ready of the bunch, the last thing this team needs is another project, we need to leave it be with Tannehill. We can trade down for Hunter, than trade two of our three (if we traded down for Hunter we'd get an additional 3rd 2nd rounder) and than get Eiffert as well. That would be a fantastic 1st round for this team IMO and a HUGE step in the right direction.

I find it funny that you're talking down to people without actually taking a second to think about Patterson and Hunter's season. It took me about 15 seconds to pull up Patterson's stats. You'll note that Patterson had a number of touches in the run game before we get started.

If you add all those up, they equal 308 yards. Patterson had 778 yard receiving. Together those make 1086 yards of total offensive production (we'll exclude return yardage) and 71 touches on offense between the two.

Justin Hunter had 73 receptions and 1083 yards receiving.

I'm no math genius, but I think those are almost exactly the same. Patterson had the lowest target rate of all tier 1 receivers. If he had a similar quarterback as the other wide receivers he would have had added 390 yards to his season production (the homework I've done). Maybe you should double check your work on your "homework" because clearly you didn't think your answers all the way through. I don't have a problem with you not liking Patterson, I have a problem with you being condescending while doing it.

Honestly, I'd take Cordarelle Patterson at #12 and not look back. Love what I see from him and he could learn the offense and work in while he returns kicks. He doesn't have to catch 80 balls as a rookie. Definitely is elite with the ball in his hands. I think Jeff Ireland would prefer a more polished guy like Keenan Allen.

Back
Top Bottom