Cosell: Tannehill throws better on the run than Luck or Griffin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cosell: Tannehill throws better on the run than Luck or Griffin

MiamiNative0722

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Getty Images
With talk around the NFL that Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill could be drafted as high as fourth overall to the Browns, more analysts are talking up Tannehill’s tape. And Greg Cosell of NFL Films has offered up an assessment that gives plenty of reason to like Tannehill’s chances of going very high in next month’s NFL draft.

“One benefit of Tannehill’s three-quarters delivery is it allows him to throw very well on the move, both to his right and impressively, to his left,” Cosell writes. “In fact, he’s a better, more accurate passer on the run than either Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin. Tannehill was very efficient off the boot-action pass game. That will translate very well to the NFL.”

Cosell has some concerns about Tannehill, including missing some throws, a tendency to lock his front leg as he delivers the ball, and poor reads of the defense — especially not seeing the safeties. And Cosell said he didn’t see the improvement over the course of Tannehill’s 19-start college career that he would have liked.

But Cosell says Tannehill compares favorably to last year’s 12th overall pick, Christian Ponder, and that some quarterback-needy team is going to take him high.

“Tannehill is a better prospect than Christian Ponder was a year ago,” Cosell writes. “Tannehill possesses the skill set to be a quality NFL starter. At this point, he would be best in a quick-rhythm, short-to-intermediate passing game that featured play-action and boot-action passes. One thing we know for certain: He likely will be drafted higher than his body of work suggests he should be.”

Maybe as high as fourth to the Browns.

I'd have been fine with Tannehill if we hadn't wasted millions on Gerard, and the slew of "back-up" OL's. We should have signed Winston at RT instead and taken a WR in the 2nd or 3rd but now... we've got a nice set of "back-up" OL's in case God-knows-who-at-RT or RG gets hurt.

he does throw very well on the move...i don't think its any better than luck or rg3 though...but its another impressive quality of tannehills...

I think it's going to be hard for Ireland to pass on Tannehill.

If we get him, he better throw well on the run because the way our line was he will be running away to save his life.

Throwing on the run is generally used on a few designed plays or when the pocket breaks down. The problem with those guys is that they never stay in the pocket, they take off trying to make something happen....and it usually doesn't. It also results in holding calls.
I would rather we take a pocket passer that can take a step up or to the side to elude the rush. If the lineman know exactly where the QB is, they can control their man to protect him.

I like Tannehill, but not at #8. We can get a better QB in the first round next year. (most of the QB needy teams will have filled their needs this year, the amount of competition for those elite guys next year should be minimal). We should look for a developmental guy in rounds 2-5 and hope we can strike gold, while taking play makers. We need WR's desperately.

The team doesn't want a Alpha receiver, you probably was one of those fans protesting LOL you want the team to wait until next year to get a QB but you want to win right now.

I agree with Cosell. Its one of the things that stood out about Tannehill over and over again. Put him on the move, he still completes passes, and a lot of times deep ones.

I'd have been fine with Tannehill if we hadn't wasted millions on Gerard, and the slew of "back-up" OL's. We should have signed Winston at RT instead and taken a WR in the 2nd or 3rd but now... we've got a nice set of "back-up" OL's in case God-knows-who-at-RT or RG gets hurt.

I guess you'll be fine with Tannehill since Garrard signed for 1 year and it's non guaranteed

I agree with Cosell. Its one of the things that stood out about Tannehill over and over again. Put him on the move, he still completes passes, and a lot of times deep ones.

i've seen a lot of evidence of him hitting stuff on the move outside the numbers like sideline routes but have you found also that his vertical accuracy as in over the top is almost non existent??? i know he can throw 20 yard crossing route darts etc but a straight go route outside the #'s i have yet to see any real evidence of him throwing that ball over the proper shoulder and with the proper placement...

if this o is gonna be more about underneath and intermediate routes i think that bodes pretty well for him but we're not gonna get as much bang for our buck out of a say edmund gates unless we go for quick strikes over the top every once in a while and tannehills accuracy on that ball for my study is not good...

But Cosell says Tannehill compares favorably to last year’s 12th overall pick, Christian Ponder,

So the fins are going to draft the next Christin Ponder with the 8th pick in the draft? Brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom