Could Jeff Ireland be "spreading the wealth" in terms of FA? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Jeff Ireland be "spreading the wealth" in terms of FA?

UCF Nation

Active Roster
Reaction score
So far we have:

- Franchised DT Randy Starks (with the possibility to sign long-term.)
- Resigned Hartline (Smart move due to the chemistry factor in a difficult offense.)
- Resigned Matt Moore (A bit pricey. But running the read option is more of a health risk for a QB, so smart move on JI's part.)

Now we are hearing reports of the Dolphins examining Jake Long, and that he isn't going get get any offers for his outrageous asking price due to the recent flood of RT's on the market. I heard on the radio that the Dolphins intend to offer him a team-friendly deal which isn't that surprising. If he takes it than that will solidify our RT problem going forward.

If we sign JL, I don't know if we can afford Mike Wallace so I predict that this is where Greg Jennings comes in. He is a reliable option as a number 1 receiver, and I think he is the perfect role model for the young ones. He is sure to come cheaper than Mike Wallace due to age, recent injury history, etc.

Do you guys think Jeff Ireland is going to use the salary cap to just fill holes with medium-high tier talent, instead of splurging on huge FA like Wallace? He seems to be going for more depth to complete the team, rather than max out one attribute of it. The draft will certainly be interesting..

I highly doubt Wallace signs with the Fins...I would bet that Jennings is the target.

Wallace is the target, but Jennings is more realistic. We should hopefully land 1 of the 2.

Wallace will be the target and there is plenty of cap space left to get both.

I surely don't think we are going to use our cap just to lock up our existing FA's and sign a couple mid-grades to fill holes. If that is Ireland's plan, then we have done nothing to improve and JI will be gone by next year.

Do you guys think Jeff Ireland is going to use the salary cap to just fill holes with medium-high tier talent, instead of splurging on huge FA like Wallace? He seems to be going for more depth to complete the team, rather than max out one attribute of it. The draft will certainly be interesting..

So we started the month with $45M in cap space.... And end up with the same guys we had from last year?
Minus our starting CB -Sean Smith- and our starting RB -Reggie Bush-??

The only upgrade/new addition being Greg Jennings?

Someone tell me how that's a successful/positive FA period?
Or by your wording, how would that be completing our team in any way shape or form? Last year our team was 7-9. I don't see how adding a WR and losing our CB and RB would be completing our team. I'm confused.

Ireland is like Shakespeare in a sense.sometimes you understand him and sometimes you have no clue what the F he is saying.you just nod your head and enjoy the show.

Ireland is like Shakespeare in a sense.sometimes you understand him and sometimes you have no clue what the F he is saying.you just nod your head and enjoy the show.

I dont know about u but I havent enjoyed a constant 7-9 no matter if i understand it or not

Yeah, it's hard to swallow 4 straight losing seasons and 7 out of the last 10 (not that Jeff had a hand in all of those, but I am sick of the losing culture, especially after being one of the most winningest franchises in all of sports)

So far we have:

- Franchised DT Randy Starks (with the possibility to sign long-term.)
- Resigned Hartline (Smart move due to the chemistry factor in a difficult offense.)
- Resigned Matt Moore (A bit pricey. But running the read option is more of a health risk for a QB, so smart move on JI's part.)

Now we are hearing reports of the Dolphins examining Jake Long, and that he isn't going get get any offers for his outrageous asking price due to the recent flood of RT's on the market. I heard on the radio that the Dolphins intend to offer him a team-friendly deal which isn't that surprising. If he takes it than that will solidify our RT problem going forward.

If we sign JL, I don't know if we can afford Mike Wallace so I predict that this is where Greg Jennings comes in. He is a reliable option as a number 1 receiver, and I think he is the perfect role model for the young ones. He is sure to come cheaper than Mike Wallace due to age, recent injury history, etc.

I can't for the life of me figure out how people derive that we can't sign Wallace if we sign Long, I can't. We have $28mil without even restructuring anyone yet where is it being fathomed that we can't sign them "and" a few more? If Dwayne Bowe's mega contract only counts $4mil against the cap this year, Wallace's shouldn't count that much more, same with Long. We can and will sign a few FAs, add Brandon Gibson to the list when we clear up another $2mil by cutting Bess.

Back
Top Bottom