Could Ryan Tannehill be headed down same road as Alex Smith? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Ryan Tannehill be headed down same road as Alex Smith?

Do we give the next guy till the end of their second season tp prove it too?

By your standards we should give him 6-7. Heck, just give him an entire decade, because we are getting there with RT.
I guess you are anticipating the the Rich Gannon trajectory.

By your standards we should give him 6-7. Heck, just give him an entire decade, because we are getting there with RT.
Gannon wasn't a starter until his 4th year, Smith is more comparable as a trajectory.

Ryan Tannehill easily makes the Dolphins a better team last year. Watching the games you see so many plays where Cutler just didn't have the arm to get the ball where it needed to go. You add in his considerable bailouts and his confusing decisions...it is not hard to see where this team went wrong. QB matters, yes, it is a team game and if you have deficiencies you will not be successful, but QB is the only position that can take a team from 6-10 and make them a team on the cusps of the playoffs. I cannot think of another position that holds that much sway over a teams success. I am perfectly fine with Tannehill as the starting QB of the franchise, but I also understand that the team may look at drafting a QB if one falls to 11. Do I think it will happen? Most likely not, but I also won't scoff at the move as I can understand why they would draft a QB.

There are a handful of Gannons in league history. I'm fine with Gase sticking with RT but if we don't make the playoffs I think Ross should clean house. At that point we'd be holding on to RT again or hitting the reset button like the chiefs just did. Of course Ross probably won't do that

I'm not sure the Dolphins would be able to find a suitor as stupid as the Redskins.

Ryan Tannehill easily makes the Dolphins a better team last year. Watching the games you see so many plays where Cutler just didn't have the arm to get the ball where it needed to go. You add in his considerable bailouts and his confusing decisions...it is not hard to see where this team went wrong. QB matters, yes, it is a team game and if you have deficiencies you will not be successful, but QB is the only position that can take a team from 6-10 and make them a team on the cusps of the playoffs. I cannot think of another position that holds that much sway over a teams success. I am perfectly fine with Tannehill as the starting QB of the franchise, but I also understand that the team may look at drafting a QB if one falls to 11. Do I think it will happen? Most likely not, but I also won't scoff at the move as I can understand why they would draft a QB.

I certainly think it is possible, but I disagree with the idea (expressed by many here) that we would be doing it as insurance. If we draft a QB at 11, it will be to replace Tannehill next year or the year after. It will be exactly like the Alex Smith situation.

No, the haters have been calling for Tannehill's head since 2013. They gave him 2 seasons. The sad thing is that the improvement after 2013 has been ignored because they had already become invested in his failure.

Last edited:
The day that any of the haters can (with a straight face) say that the team surrounding Tannehill hasn't been poor, and the team still doesn't make the playoffs, I'll entertain the idea that Tannehill isn't the guy. Every time since 2014 that the team has put together a lineup that doesn't SUCK on the OL and/or receivers, the Dolphins win. That just cannot be disputed.

Last edited:
Ah, the old standby team stat..... #QBwinz (selectively applied, of course)..... the last resort when you have nothing left to criticize with the actual play of the QB.
Ah, the old standby team stat..... #QBwinz (selectively applied, of course)..... the last resort when you have nothing left to criticize with the actual play of the QB.

Well I could throw out that Tannehill has a QB average rating of 76.65 against division teams and has a median QB rating of 73.6 against division teams....But you will just dismiss it and blame others around him.

Well I could throw out that Tannehill has a QB average rating of 76.65 against division teams and has a median QB rating of 73.6 against division teams....But you will just dismiss it and blame others around him.

So now you're selectively applying QB rating too? Nice.

The day that any of the haters can (with a straight face) say that the team surrounding Tannehill hasn't been poor, and Tannehill still doesn't make the playoffs, I'll entertain the idea that Tannehill isn't the guy. Every time since 2014 that the team has put together a lineup that doesn't SUCK on the OL and/or receivers, the Dolphins win. That just cannot be disputed.

Ah so the stars have to line up perfectly for us to win with Tannehill everytime, I guess at that point we could probably just win with anyone at QB then... sans Case Keenum in Minnesota

I'm still all in on Tannehill and hope that he comes back better than ever. However, it's sensible to consider a backup plan if there is a QB on the Draftboard who they really like. By drafting Allen or Mayfield if they are available at #11 is a real consideration.
If Tannehill comes back healthy and accurate we have a good QB. If he doesn't, then at least we have a backup plan.

So now you're selectively applying QB rating too? Nice.

We're you not using QB rating with the whole 12th in the league thing?

You wanted numbers did you not?

Want to me share his comp. % and TDs and INts and yardage against the division?

Back
Top Bottom