Could the Dolphins Quietly Team Osi Umenyiora with Cameron Wake?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BAMAPHIN 22, May 7, 2012.

1. BAMAPHIN 22

BAMAPHIN 22 FinHeaven Elite

2. nerfball

nerfball A True Fan

I would lose my mind.

3. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

So... silence means it's possible? That's an odd way of looking at it. Exactly how much talking would it take for there to be no way it was going to happen?

4. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

This is so stupid. We don't have any cap room.

5. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

6. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

Another internet "article" from a guy who has no idea what's going on. In his defense at least he isn't employed doing this like certain ESPN blog writers. I.E. he has an excuse in that it isn't his career.

7. dolphinfanND

dolphinfanND Rookie

What would his cap number be. What would you give up for him if it is a forth and sign him to new friendly contract I would do it

8. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

If we were a team that was close to winning a SB and a few pieces away, then I would think this makes sense. But to give up draft picks and a contract to a 30 year old injury riddled player makes no sense to me at this point. It would be stupid.

9. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Would be amazing, but don't see how it could happen.

10. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

not seeing it. it would be nice but this guy is behind the eightball in putting this franchise down. I think we have a full deck of cards myself, it just will come down to execution and ireland said he has his eyes on another WR. But Im kinda liking Fuller and the tall penn state kid to make an early splash in the system.

11. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

lOOKS LIKE HIS CAP HIT THIS YEAR IS ABOUT 4.6 MILLION

He's been around for 8 years and at 30 yrs old will be looking
    for that "last payday." With Long and the other 25 or so free agents
    WE HAVE ON THIS TEAM AFTER THIS SEASON
    I find it very hard to believe he will ever be a Dolphin

12. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

This is NOT going to happen. It would be a mistake. Cam Wake was just signed to, what I think, was an excessive contract. We have no cap room. And we still have Long to deal with.

13. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

I guess I missed where there were 30 teams (outside of the Giants and Dolphins) were talking about adding Osi to their roster. Somehow only the Dolphins were curiously silent....:bobdole:

14. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

Osi is a GREAT player.

15. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

We are currently paying a pack-up corner $5 million a year. I think we can find ways to relieve some cap space. You can never have enough pass rushers.

That being said, this wont happen. I was hoping(read: hoping, not expecting) that we could pull off a draft day trade for him when the Giants wanted at most a 3rd. But now with the draft gone and Wake resigned there is very little chance we chase after him.

16. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Doubt we go after free agents or trades like that. Philbin values the draft and they're high on our new pass rusher.

17. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

oddly silent...........Now we could say that same about Dolphin fans who keep bringing him up.

18. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

Not gonna happen, let develop our young players, Jerry Jones can have him.

19. chrispepper

chrispepper Well-Known Member

The cap is workable.. it's just a case of whether or not Miami want to go in for him.

20. miami234ever

miami234ever DenverCheesesteak

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of days. Osi/Wake/Vernon would be awesome. The thing is, we will have enough money next off-season to sign him, but this year it may be difficult. Maybe we can pull a Starks/Pick for Osi? Whatever we do, we need to clear up some space if we want to bring him in. Wake + Osi for the next 5 years sounds good to me.

21. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

Can he play Wr?

22. Exuro

Exuro Well-Known Member

No one is trading a pick for Osi without giving him an extension. Would you be happy giving up a 4th rounder for a 1 year rental? I know I wouldn't. Trading Starks plus a pick is the craziest thing I've read today.

i think the better play is making an attempt for him next year as a FA, not trading a draft pick.

23. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

What backup are we paying 5 million a year? Marshall is likely our #2 CB, with Sean Smith covering the slot. He's being paid 16 million over 3 years with 6 million guaranteed. His final year is worth 8 million, which he will likely never see.

24. Troow55

Troow55 Member

Big Snoop Dog

The dolphins need one more pass rusher and Osi could groom Cam Wake, however I rather have LTJAKE LONG
    LG JOHN JERRY C POUNCEY RG SIGN VERNON CAREY RT JOHNNY MARTIN, OR PRAY MURTHA IS A PRO BOWLER AND MOVE MARTIN TO LEFT GUARD WITH JERRY AT RG. GET RICHIE APRILE OUT OF THERE I MEAN IGCOGNITUS. JANICE HITS HARDER THAN RICHIE, HE INTENIONALLY PULLS AND NOT HIT ANYONE OR SOMEONE THATS ALREADY BEING BLOCKED, WHAT DO YOU THINK THAT DOES FOR THE LINEBACKER WHEN YOU PULL AND BLOCK SOMEBODY THATS ALREADY BLOCKED???

25. Troow55

Troow55 Member

Yeah i like osi, but i think de vernon is like lamar woodley, we desperately need a weakside pass rusher. Cam wake rushes best from left side, he has the same move jeff cross had

26. Troow55

Troow55 Member

Finally we dont run the 5-2 anymore, we actually have backers who can check burnett and guyton. First down from left to right odrick, soliai, starks, wake. 3rd down wide nine or nascar, wake odrick starks vernon.

27. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

I think this is more of a dream then reality.

28. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Feel free to link where youve seen our coaching staff say that we are moving our 6'3 corner into the slot.

People keep suggesting where Marshall is going to play. First its corner, then free safety, now its corner again. He was a backup for his previous team and he comes to us with no clear position. Smart money says we overpaid for a player who will be on the short end of the rotation when he is on the field.

Even if we go with what you are suggesting: he only plays two years for us, thats still what? 8 mil? So 4 mil a year. My bad.

29. napsndreds

napsndreds A True Fan

I understand this is a stupid idea but reading others post about us not being super bowl ready for a few years is odd. So what ? Does Miami not deserve good players? So what's the concept? Keep average to below avg players if we think we can't contend? Ultimately this is a team sport so it's not so important about how individuals play but more how individuals play within a team so every year each team is a new team. All teams have new players as well as old players do to his assume we aren't contenders is a disservice. We do have question marks at certain spots on the te but we can only speculate. When the team plays real games the holes will reveal themselves and then we will know whether we were contenders or not. In 2008 I guess we were contenders going 11-5. A year after going 1-15. If we can get osi cool that helps our chances of being contenders. We don't have to b contenders to get players. That's up to the players wanting to come here to win not some unwritten football law.

30. 23EmilioVasquez

23EmilioVasquez Seasoned Veteran

Carey is never coming back
    We have a better chance of murtha making a problem or even be a starter... that Guy is terrible lol

31. Scotty P

Scotty P Well-Known Member Donator

This article must of been written by someone who knows nothing about the Dolphins, let alone football. The whole site lacks credibility.

Signing Osi could never happen. After we sign our rookies, we will be over our cap amount with the re-signing of Wake by about $3-4mm. And its likely someone will be cut. Osi is old, and clearly benefited from other good lineman on his team. And for someone to say that we are in trouble because we dont have Ricky and Ronnie.........is absolutely ridiculous. We might have the best backfield in the NFL. Reggie, DT, Lamar Miller.......and Messam looks like a beast too.

FYI - we drafted 2 pass rushers that should be promising and 3 recievers that will fill the void of Marshall.

This article is garbage and are the people that keep posting threads about getting OSI.

32. twohype

twohype Seasoned Veteran

33. Cumar

Cumar Active Member Donator

I'm assuming this site is similar to a "Bleacher Report" b/c this writer has very little clue as to the progression of this team over the past couple of years. First of all, Wake was CLEARLY held about 5 times in that Patriots game. I wouldn't say he was kept silent. Secondly, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are old news. Reggie had the best season of his career running the ball and I don't see that slowing down barring an injury. Lastly, the Dolphins simply have $0 cap room to trade for this guy and immediately re-sign him. Keep in mind, Reggie Jake and Starks are all coming due next year, deals need to be made for at least Jake and Starks.

34. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

He had Jason Pierre-Paul on the other side and he had 16.5 sacks,

35. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

it would cost way to much player wise draft pick wise and contract wise.
    prob take jake long and a 3rd then add his new contract into it thats a lot of stupid moves if you ask me

36. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

I think with Wilson being moved to S it's pretty obvious they want Marshall to play corner. Marshall also wasn't a backup. He won the starting job last year in AZ in week 6 I believe, and AZ did want to resign him. They just didn't have the cap space to do it, especially when they were still in the Manning hunt.

I think what defense we are in will greatly affect what position Marshall/Smith may play. He will definitely be given a 100% chance to beat out Smith as a starting corner (for Christ's sake Smith couldn't even beat out Jason Allen at the beginning of last year). When we move to nickle Smith could play the outside and Marshall or even Davis could play the slot depending on who the WR is. Also don't forget that Smith did play in the slot in the nickle package in some games when he lined up against pass cathing TE's so it's not unheard of.

Also in case you didn't notice the NFL is a pass first league where at least 3 good cover corners are now needed. This only drives up the price for good CB's on the market, especially ones that can play both the outside and the slot. Smart money says Marshall he is going to get plenty of playing time and be on the field much more than you think.

37. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

This is a guy that is worth about $4m a year, was offered that and didn't take it... He wants way too much money than what he'd be worth to us. Nevermind that we are up against the cap and signing him for that amount means cutting one or two other guys....Who do you suggest we cut to get him ?? It also goes against the 'build from the draft, grow your team with youth' mantra that Philbin and Ireland seem to be abiding by...Think about all the potential FA that were out there that were positions of need that we did not go after this year ??